New Rifle....MADSEN!

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

ThePitbullofLove
    (11/30/02 11:29:07 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All New Rifle....MADSEN!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Madsen arrived today. Man, I like it!

The guy threw in the sling (I'd be it isn't original issue, is it? ) and the case (a pleasant suprise!)!

So, where do I find a correct sling and a pricey bayonet?

Comments are welcome.

more pix to follow in the daylight....till then, there is this collection of hasty shots-

public.fotki.com/ThePitbullofLove/gats-things_that/madsen

life is the crummiest book I ever read,
    there isn't a hook, just a lot of cheap shots,
    pictures to shock and characters an amateur would never dream up-Guerwitz-1994

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/1/02 9:22:53 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Hey...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nice looking rifle, tell us more about it. I'm looking it up, because I've never heard of it before...

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/1/02 10:32:49 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Hey...
    The Madsen is one of the last production bolt military rifles (circa mid 1950s) - It is a Danish-made rifle, and it is chambered in 30-06, and a quantity of these were ordered by the Colombian government. Nice made rifles. I sold one about 4 years ago that was in excellent condition with a bayonet serial numbered to the gun - I think I got around $450 for it, if I remember correctly.

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/1/02 2:18:32 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Hey...
    Thanks Bob!

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/1/02 4:24:41 pm)
    That couldn't be me taking the picture -

You'd see my gut, instead of my feet!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

ThePitsBro52
    (12/1/02 8:30:06 pm)
    Okay, the Madsen was the last bolt action rifle ever produced for and used by front line troops. It was designed in 1947 in Denmark. It was basically obsolete by time the first order was placed! The only order for the Madsen rifle was placed by Columbia, who ordered roughly 6,000 of them. The Columbians refered to the rifle as Modelo 58. The rest of the world refers to the gun as the Madsen light Infantry Rifle Model 1947. It's .30-06 caliber.
    These are fairly rare and kind of obscure. There are two different models of the Modelo 58. One has a plain stock, the other, which is what I have has the Columbian Armed Forces crest inletted int the left side of the stock.
    All Madsens in the US were imported pre '68, so there are no import marks on them. It's a neat rifle, a real sleeper for collectors. Unfortunately when the rifle came out, loads of WW2 surplus was available to countries needing new rifles as well as the introduction of the semi auto & full auto rifles.

prezzzzz
    (12/2/02 7:57:21 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: New Rifle....MADSEN!
    Very Nice!! Is it C&R?

ThePitbullofLove
    (12/3/02 8:37:46 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: New Rifle....MADSEN!
    Not officially. There's a campaign to get it listed, but I haven't heard the results yet. So for the time being, no. That said, I've seen some auctions where they were represented as C&R...scary thought.

life is the crummiest book I ever read,
    there isn't a hook, just a lot of cheap shots,
    pictures to shock and characters an amateur would never dream up-Guerwitz-1994