New Rifle

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bill Sweetman, May 10, 2009.

1. Bill Sweetman

Bill Sweetman New Member

I wish to buy a new deer slayer but I am not in any hurry! I already own a few rifles and a shot-gun I bought them all in a hurry and I did not consider the purpose intended for the guns ............ but this time I will. I have already made up my mind on a .308 now I have to consider the package itself my .308 comes in! I want a GOOD gun considering this one should be the ONE !(my marriage depends on it!!) I am currently considering a Sako varminter ss laminated-stock or Savage's Target rifle(the only thing that bugs me is it is only a single shot) both topped with Leopold VX 3L 6.5-20x56mm long range target scope I don't wanna spend CRAZY money for a gun but I also know "you get what ya pay for!" so with all of this in mind what would the good people of the firearms forum suggest!!

Thanx

Bill

2. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

Don't go with a single shot....

mike
    gn

3. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Well for a deer gun your probably going to want something light and not a target gun unless you feel like carrying a 14 pound rifle through the woods (i personally don't).

Go for any of the Remington 700 models in .308 you cant go wrong and they are reasonably priced at 700-1000.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/

4. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

i have a ruger m77 hawkeye all weather .308 topped with a bushnell 4200 elite 4x16x40mm.... its the best shooting rifle ive ever owned. i absolutely love it and wouldnt trade anything for it. tax and all the whole rig cost me $1072 with 2 boxes of Hornady match 168gr A-max....

5. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

I have Ruger M77 MkII Frontier in .308 and I love it. So light and quick. It shoulders real nice and I can walk with it all day. The caveat here is that due to its short stature, it kicks like a mule. Not a problem with the scout scope configuration though. FWIW I got the Leupold FXII scout scope.

I also have a Remmy 700 stainless in .308 with the synth stock. Its a nice rifle, but kind of boring. Its done nothing but sit in the safe since I got the Ruger, yet it serves a different purpose. The Ruger with the scout scope is fast target acquisition - something good to have in the dense woods were I live - and the Remington is for the long range shots... like I am going to get any of those around here!

Lately I have been curious about those new Weatherby Vanguards that are $399 out the door. Supposedly one of the best deals for a bolt-action rifle these days. I would not mind getting one in 22-250.

6. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    My friend has a Vanguard and he likes it a lot. He traded the Simmons for a Leopold scope though. I have a Ruger M77 Mk II that I like a lot and my brother has a newer Winchester mod 70 that shoots nice. It really comes down to what YOU like and what fits YOU best.

7. Bill Sweetman

Bill Sweetman New Member

I think you're right about the single shot. By the way thanx for all the responses! Some more info to consider........... I stand hunt 99.9% of the time so weight is not much of an issue, the woods I hunt are pretty thick but the occasional "long-shot" does present its self.I am no weiner .............. but..... recoil is an issue. (I already own a Tikka in 300 win mag and a Parkerhale in 358 lott they both can kick pretty good!!!!)

Bill