The Firearms Forum banner

New Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

Tags
ruger
5K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  Albtraum 
#1 ·
Just happened by the Ruger website and they have a very pretty new toy, the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle. I'm sure most of you know of Jeff Cooper's concept and the various attempts to produce his vision, including a previous version of Ruger's Model 77 II. But this is a new design and adds a number of new features including very sturdy military-style fixed sights, a muzzle brake, AND a ten-round detachable box magazine! Very sweet! :D Check it out...

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/index.html

#3 ·
I just had one in my hands yesterday. A friend got one transfered thru me. Looks nice. I like the laminated stock.

#4 ·
I'm pretty sure it is in .308. I'm currently working in my own Using a Turkish 8mm Mauser, the ballistics on the 8mm are pretty close to those of the .308. One of the things I like about the Mauser is that it's fed with stripper clips. I can carry more ammo readily available in the enclosed bandoleers.

#5 · (Edited)
Those are very neat and impressive rifles. The high price of .308 ammuniton has caused me to not add one to my present wish list, though it may end up there yet.

About time someone made a high power bolt action with more than a three or four round capacity.

#8 ·
As hard as I look at it, I can't imagine that I could find a use for a 16" barrel on a .308. If I was 20 years younger, and living in the mountains, and wanted just one rifle to take everywhere, that would be different. But will the magazines cost $35~50?

#9 ·
I have a stag 6.8 with 16 inch barrel, collapsible buttstock, acog, and team sling that works fine for on snowmachine & 4 wheeler; a little more hit power than 556. In the past, I had mini-14's, 45-70's, and a few other light guns for beating around. Probably what one gets use to more than anything; they all work.

I picked up that AR-10 338 fed last sat. Weighs a ton, like an M-14, not for beating around.

#10 ·
Caliber - .308 Win.
Cap - 10
Barrel Length - 16.50"
Overall Length - 39.50"
Length of Pull - 12.75"
Weight - 7.00 lbs.
Sug. Retail - $995.00

#11 ·
I can sell them for 709.00 plus shipping when they start hitting the suppliers.

#13 ·
From what I understand the rifle is met to have a forward mounted scope with long eye relief. This creates a rifle that is short, light weight, and can snap shoot somewhat like a shotgun. It is not met to be a long range precision rifle according to Cooper. I suppose if you were hunting in thick cover where you knew the game was going to be close and fast then it might fit a niche.

#14 ·
I would never think of using a bolt action to snap shoot like I would a semi-auto rifle, or shotgun. That seems, odd.

#15 ·
I would never think of using a bolt action to snap shoot like I would a semi-auto rifle, or shotgun. That seems, odd.
Cooper from what I understand wanted a rifle that was extremely light weight and he could not achieve that with a semi auto. I do not believe though from what I have read that he was totally against using a semi auto for the scout concept. You would think though that with all of todays technology on rifle stocks that maybe you could a get a semi auto light enough.

#17 · (Edited)
Never fear, gunplumber, room for all makes, models, and aficianados, to be sure.

I think the whole point was the pursuit of the absolute best all-around compromise. Think about it from that perspective.

Besides, since when does there have to be a REASON for a gun. :D They ever legislate THAT, and we're all in a heap a trouble!

In the mean time, just found this (ah, the power of Google), a great piece on Jeff Cooper and the Scout Rifle concept. Enjoy.

http://jeffcoopersscoutrifles.blogspot.com/

#18 ·
I have always been a fan of Coopers and have actually built a couple rifles on the scout platform for customers and have yet to be happy with any of them. Understanding it is human nature to resist change, I have tried to look at this concept with new eyes on several occasions and always return to my org position. This new Ruger looks like someone had a box of extra parts and decided to see if they could make a gun of some type. I know that companies have to come out with new products for public consumption and it is prob my own inability to apply the principals for which the gun was designed; I have tried to employ these types of guns at speed with accuracy and have failed to do so. My opinion is that it is an answer to a non-existant quesion. I have tried to remember the reasons Cooper stated for this concept and can't put my hands on his book at the moment to verify (someone set off a grenade in my office). Would there be someone to remind me? Regardless, I will have to be listed with the folks that find the urge to run out and purchase one of these things rather easy to overcome. (ooops) thanks for the link.

#19 ·
One concept that is repeatedly ignored by all is that Cooper advocated a stripper clip fed action for the Scout rifle's magazine, a scout doesn't need the extra weight of mags, but still needs to 'top off' now and then.
Frankly, a SMLE MK 4 in 7.62 NATO would be perfect to convert, but I can't find one (reasonablely priced, that is).
The Ruger looks good, but I'm sure it's nothing more than a glorified 77'.

#21 ·
From what I understand the rifle is met to have a forward mounted scope with long eye relief. This creates a rifle that is short, light weight, and can snap shoot somewhat like a shotgun. It is not met to be a long range precision rifle according to Cooper. I suppose if you were hunting in thick cover where you knew the game was going to be close and fast then it might fit a niche.
Yup. Makes for a very fast handling carbine.

Not really that odd for a close-in hunting gun. You're not snapping the trigger...you still do a good "proper" trigger squeeze...but the rifle just snaps into place and you can acquire your target very quickly.

I've built up a couple of "scout wannabes" around M96 Swedes (6.5x55) and one Remington 600 in .308 nearly identical to Cooper's Scout I concept rifle.
The only thing that I differed from the concept is instead of using a proper ghost-ring rear I used a Williams or Lyman receiver sight instead...minus the aperture insert. Basically a ghost-ring, but I had the option to use a smaller aperture if I chose.
Excellent for brush-hunting deer, coyotes, and just general knocking around in a pickup or tractor cab.

As 308 posted, a Scout rifle is an excellent brush gun. Cooper's primary purpose behind it was a multi-purpose rifle...one that you could grab for almost any purpose. Hunting, self-defense, etc...an all-around SHTF long arm. Light and handy enough that you could carry it around wherever you went without too much fatigue...if it get's too heavy you'll get tired lugging it around and you just might not have it at hand when you need it.
A low-power, intermediate eye-relief scope that he outlined as the primary sighting system is very quick to acquire a sight picture once you've gotten used to it. It allows you to keep both eyes open and the scope obscures very little of your non-shooting eye's field of view...one eye on the reticle & target and the other on a "wide-field" view of the target and your other surroundings.
Same concept applies for the ghost-ring backup sights too. Shoot with both eyes open.

Personally, I think that Ruger's version is way too "overdone". I don't like the looks of the flash-hider. It's unnecessary on a short-barrel .308...you're gonna have a fireball out the muzzle with that combo, flash-hider or not.
That darned box-mag sticks out right in the middle of the balance point where you would carry it too. Having the "balance" of the rifle available for one-hand carry is another reason that Cooper went with the forward-mounted scope.

#22 ·

I came accross one of these little rippers at the local hunting shop on special.

Interestingly it differs from the ones I find listed on ruger.com, stainless, no flash eliminator, no bird logo on stock and the barrel is 18.5"(bolt face to crown).

#23 ·
I have to say, I don't really get the concept. The bolt action suggests hunting, but the magazine appears like it would really be in the way. And what is the point of a 10 round magazine on a bolt action rifle anyway? It just seems very impractical to me, and I am a huge Ruger fan.

#24 ·
For less money, any number of lever actions, mini-14, some AR's, many AK's & SKS's.

For about the same, middle-of-the road AR's, upgraded AK's, Rem. autos and pumps.

For abit more, Browning BLR, BAR, higher shelf AR.

Check Mossberg's website, they now offer a bolt action .223 that takes AR mags. Rem. has a version of their 7600 pump(7615) that also uses AR mags.

#26 ·
Tha'ts interesting Popgun about the feeding lips, the one I got over here in NZ has the lips on the mag, probably something to do with being an export I guess.

Rekon it would have been better if it came with a 5 for hunting and accepted M14 mags for fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.