The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned one of them in years long gone, and in one of my all too frequent "stupid" periods sold it.. It should be at my FFL holder's shop in the next day or so, and it will be shipped to a gun smith who specializes in Smiths for a magical action job. It should be as slick and smooth as if it had ball bearings in the action, and in single action the trigger should break like glass (fingers crossed). The last 17 I had was over 30 years ago and it was the smoothest .22 revolver I'd ever shot. I must have lost my mind when I sold it.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Congrats on your new 17, I need to get the one I recently purchased out and put some rounds down range. I ran a couple cylinders thru it to test the function then put it in the safe.

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
I've probably asked before but, how do you tell the difference between the Mod 17 or a 22/32 kit gun? Might be better asked, what was the predecessor to the Mod. 17? Mine is from 1947 and I think that pre-dates the Mod.17 designation.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
I've probably asked before but, how do you tell the difference between the Mod 17 or a 22/32 kit gun? Might be better asked, what was the predecessor to the Mod. 17? Mine is from 1947 and I think that pre-dates the Mod.17 designation.
Throw the K-22 target masterpiece into the mix.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wild guess I would say that the K-22 target masterpiece is a "K" framed revolver with a target trigger, target hammer, and target sights, just like mu Model 17-3. I wish that I could give you fellow affectioandos a definitive and accurate answer. I'm no S&W expert. I just know what I like based on handling and shooting.

·
Registered
17,476 Posts
The predecessor of the 17 was called the K22. Because it was a 22 revolver built on the K (38) frame.

The Kit Gun was originally built on the I, then later on the improved I, and now on the J.

The two revolvers in this picture should show the difference. The top one is a Kit Gun. J-frame 22. The bottom one is a World War II Victory. K frame 38. As you can see there is a marked size difference between a J and a K.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts