The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new Savage model 93 .17 Hmr, bull barrel and a Simmons 4X32 scope :dance:,

This rifle looks nice and feels like a perfect fit, like it was designed for me personally :)..

Anyway I need to sight the scope, never had a scope before where do I start :confused:, plan to shoot at the range just paper at 50- to 100 yrds.

Any advice appreciated :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
If it were me....and I'm no expert, but have shot in many scopes, I would do this.

Make sure every screw and bolt is tight.
Make sure the barrel has no obstructions and is not fouled.
Start at 20 yards with a splatter target that highlights hits on top of a 3' X 3' hole-free piece of cardboard or poster board. I say 20 yards because I have missed "letter" size targets at 50 yards with a new scope and had no idea where I missed them. At 20 yards you should be able to group 1" above center. Then move on to 50 yards.
Make sure you have a solid rest, or sand bags, or someway to make sure it's the gun and scope, not your wiggling.
Take your time and remember your breathing (breath in, breath out, squeeeze the trigger.
only shoot bullseyes :D

good luck
fred

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Just what JSTGSN said ^^^.
Congrat's on you new 93 in 17HMR!
I have one in my gun cabinet in .22mag, (not mine) that I dialed in and fell in love with it so much I too, am looking to buy one in the 17HMR.
When I was dialing the .22mag in, I laid it across the sand bags and that was it...
I was hooked!!!
Here is the one in .22mag... 93R17 BTVS.png
Can you post a pic of your new one please? I "need" to see another one!:)
I left one at the LGS in the 17HMR a couple a weeks ago and haven't been back since..:(

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My new model 93 :)

Shot of the bolt :cool:

The scope, still in the wrapper having second thoughts might go with iron sights

Thanks for the replies all comment and opinions are appreciated!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts