new shooting bench for my muzzleloaders and black powder buffalo long range rifle.

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Catman1942, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Catman1942

Catman1942 Well-Known Member

we have a big east deck. im building a stand in the north east corner of it to rest my rifle stand on. when i put a rifle on it their is no movement at all in sighting it. the snow and snow plow this winter destroyed my west side of the house stand. it will be better on the deck as i cant walk far now and all i have to do is walk out the door and onto the deck. i live very rural so ill set up some gongs out their and shoot at them with my 45.70 and my two fast twist muzzleloaders. i just order 10 pounds of pure lead wire and will make up a bunch of bullets with my swagging equipment. it will be fun getting back into shooting those three guns. i will also shoot my 22 long rifle henry golden boy which i put a nice sole sight on the back of it. want to see how good it shoot way way out their. i expect it to do very well.

2. BlackEagle

BlackEagle TFF Chaplain Supporting Member

Can you put up some pictures of the bench, and give us range reports when you get some? Sounds great, just walk out the back door and start shooting.

3. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

Every time that I do that, the police show up :mad:.

4. Catman1942

that why i live out here where the average size ranch is 10,000 acres. not many neighbors. today when i was out on my deck i looked hard at the vets place south of me by rush creek. i didnt even notice they put up a nice new barn and i didnt even know it. nice to be that far from our neighbors. i love rural. may sell out in a couple of years and move 90 miles to a small village way back in a deep canyon in south dak. hots springs is probably one of the nicest place to retire in the USA. if you all went their you would never ever want to leave it. fast water creek that never freezes. so deep in the canyon that the wind never blows down their. pine trees every wheres. a wonderful place to live. vets hospital their also for all you vets. lots of old vets their to hang out with.

5. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

What is the name of the town.

6. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporting Member

Hot Springs, SD

7. Catman1942

rushville ne is my near by old cowboy indian town. hot spring s.dak is only 90 miles from where i live. i want to live their some day, its so beautiful its too hard to decribe. they also have a large shooting range not far from town. also thousands and thousands of acres of federal land to hunt on or just treck on. their is no place like it on the face of this earth. retire their and you will never regret it.

BlackEagle likes this.
  8. tuckerd1

I'll be driving thru Hot Springs in about 2 weeks.

shootbrownelk, joe45c and BlackEagle like this.
  9. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

Does it get below 40° in the winter? If it does, I wouldn’t want to live there, but visiting in the summer would be great. I love the Dakotas in the summer:)

shootbrownelk, Dave_T and BlackEagle like this.
  10. BuckskinMtnMan

BuckskinMtnMan Member

A back yard shooting bench is always a huge welcome! My brother and I built this one last summer. We ended up putting a roof and a partial wall on one side to block the sun. Works like a charm!
    [​IMG]
    An epoxy coating was also added to seal the cement and keep the top nice and smooth.
    [​IMG]
    Total cost was around $750
    [​IMG]

11. BlackEagle

BlackEagle TFF Chaplain Supporting Member

Very nice setup. Thanks for sharing.

Welcome to the forum from the UK.

12. tuckerd1

Very nice!

howlnmad and BlackEagle like this.
  13. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

That looks exactly like the shooting benchs at the range I belong to. The tops of ours are granite, seeing we are sitting on what used to be a "granite mine", I guess they were cheap to get.

14. Catman1942

wow, now that a shooting bench. north dak may get to 40 below and here in north western nebraska it gets to 20 below but very rare. last winter it got below 0 a couple of time. we can get alot of snow though. 12 ft. in the back yard. two years ago 16 ft in the driveway. cold is cold and i welcome spring here. we have hot summers. again hot spring s.dak is too beautiful to descripe here. no wind ever their and the fast water creek never freezes. its peaceful and beautiful to look at.

shootbrownelk and BlackEagle like this.
  15. Catman1942

done, not a thing of beauty but solid as a rock and works fine. pictures will come soon.