The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Jed, I just went to look at the Colt yesterday and I ended up getting the Sig. I just sent GunnyGene a message last night he also has one. I didnt get to shoot it yet but I did notice the finish is a little thin. Just from taking it apart the word Sig on the left side of the slide seems to be wearing off just from handling the gun.
The slide and trigger are very smooth and the trigger is nice and crisp in the break. Im guessing maybe a 3lb trigger on this. At 348 dollars I couldnt pass it up Either.

I am going to write a letter to Sig and let them know how disappointed I am with the finish wearing like it is and also to let them know of any pistol I have ever bought the plastic box it came in is the cheapest POS i have ever seen.

·
Premium Member
9,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The plastic box my Sig came in is first class. My purchase decision was based on the box it came in. I am so satisfied and the wife wants to place this box on the mantle.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
A black plastic box with two little latches that snap over a little stub on the bottom?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Jed is this the box you got with yours? Also in pic 3 youll see what I was talking about the finish wearing just from handling. I didnt even hit it with any solvents.
Sorry the pics arent great took them with a cell phone.

Attachments

·
Registered
560 Posts
the finish is indeed lacking. I duracoated mine plus added a few extras. It does have the heft and feel of a 45. mine is partial to HV ammo

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Brass Tacks, I got a message from Gunny Gene and he told me about a performance enhancement system for this gun. Have to done this to yours? I think for the extra 60 bucks I may do it. The system eliminates that stupid hex nut on the right side and gives you a new bushing, Recoil spring button and A new spring. This link he sent me has a short video why and what the enhancement system does. The other thing with the sig you might want to do is get the Performance Enhancement System ( kit ) from: http://www.cwaccessories.com/Products.html

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I have the colt or umerex. doesn't seem to like 36 gr. ammo. Lots of ftf's. don't have any problems with 40 gr though. I know theres some difference fron the Sig to the Colt. Is there a Perfomance Enhancement System (kit) for the Colt??

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Ejkoechling, I dont know if there is one for the colt or not. The reason for the enhancement system fr the Sig is because they have a small hex screw on the right side that when tightened it pulls the barrel down and if you look at the gun from the front there is a wider gap at the top of the barrel than at the bottom. They say supposidly that the gun doesnt go into battery the same place every time and the accuracy may be off. By adding the enhancement kit you get a different guide rod and barrel bushing and recoil spring and cap. Tighter tolerance allows that small hex screw to be thrown away and the barrel then sits directly in the center of the new barrel bushing. It shows the reason on the video and i had no idea about this until it was brought to my attention by GunnyGene.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Junk,
I don't think they do. Been looking since I wrote post. Thanks for the responce though. Really like my Colt even with the problem of the low vel. ammo. Great shooter. Now I have to fight the wife for my turn to shoot it....But she lets me load it for her.........GRRRRR

·
Registered
95 Posts
It amazes me how people stress over that allen screw. It essentially allows the gun to function like a fixed barrel. The extra 5 seconds taking down the gun in the grand scope of things is insignificant.

If not tightened exactly the same it affects accuracy is the main criticism. How much does it? How many 0's to the right of the decimal point is it before there's a recordable difference in tension that would affect performance? The gap at the muzzle is far greater in any performance part the the variance in the screw tension.

Your hold on the gun is least consistent of all the elements in shooting. Since we never blame the shooter, we blame the gun. If we can blame the gun, then let's blame the allen screw.

I think someone is lubing their guns with snake oil.

·
Armed Infidel
1,470 Posts
I got the same one two months ago at Cabelas but paid $460. I got extra mag all tools, three front sights in varying heights and a holster all included.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ejkoechling, I dont know if there is one for the colt or not. The reason for the enhancement system fr the Sig is because they have a small hex screw on the right side that when tightened it pulls the barrel down and if you look at the gun from the front there is a wider gap at the top of the barrel than at the bottom. They say supposidly that the gun doesnt go into battery the same place every time and the accuracy may be off. By adding the enhancement kit you get a different guide rod and barrel bushing and recoil spring and cap. Tighter tolerance allows that small hex screw to be thrown away and the barrel then sits directly in the center of the new barrel bushing. It shows the reason on the video and i had no idea about this until it was brought to my attention by GunnyGene.
I am not aware of a kit for the Colt but then I don't really see a need for one.

I went back and forth between Colt and Sig for a while and then decided to get both and just find out for myself wich was the better gun for me.

After both were good and broke in it was pretty obvious to me the Colt was "It", hands down!

The finish on the Sig went to hell in a hurry, had to do all the mods to the Sig, still finicky about ammo, a real "Jam-A-Matic". I dumped it and kept the Colt, and it was not that big of a decision for me.

Last pic is of the Colt after a thousand rounds or so, its holding up nicely! I dercided to treat it to a nice set of Colt factory grips. It is sitting on the box it came with, nice and sturdy! With a carry handle built in!

And yes, that is a sorry ass box that the Sig came in!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I did the same thing with the grips on my colt by switching out the grips. I was getting some rubbing on the action so I took a dremmel to the inside of the slide, but then I had that nasty scratch mark on the action that was visiable. Polished it to a mirror finsh all the way down the barrel , along with the trigger too. Looks sharp. I'll try and include a picture. It looks sharp

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
I did the same thing with the grips on my colt by switching out the grips. I was getting some rubbing on the action so I took a dremmel to the inside of the slide, but then I had that nasty scratch mark on the action that was visiable. Polished it to a mirror finsh all the way down the barrel , along with the trigger too. Looks sharp. I'll try and include a picture. It looks sharp
After seeing your gat I know what I need to do to mine now, skeletonize the trigger! If you look close you can see the 3 circles left from the mold on my trigger, If just center punch those babies and drill them out I got it!.

I like the looks of your Colt Rail Gun! Nice!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Nice buy!

I have the SIG 1911-22 as well and its a great shooter. Mine came with some nice wood grips so I left them alone.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Those Umarex/Colts are nice guns and on my list. The Sig in flat dark earth was too nice to pass up and became my project gun, too.

[/IMG]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts