The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
7,387 Posts
I run 235-75r-15 Wrangler Radials on my Jeep. Ride is stiff. REALLY stiff like there are no springs. Tough on an old man's kidneys. Used to always buy the Pathfinder tires - but they quit making them in the old style. The old Pathfinders were great on snow, great on dry or wet pavement, were quiet and long lasting. Maybe TOO long lasting? I've wondered why they stopped selling them... Ran them on 2 different Bronco IIs, a K5 Blazer, an 83 F-150 4X4 and an old CJ5. I think Discount Tire sold them, went to buy a set a couple years back and was told they quit making the old style Pathfinders. New ones are made in China.

The scariest thing you'll ever see on the road in Colorado? On an icy day, look in your rear view mirror and see a 4X4 with California license plates on your tail:eek:.

·
Garandaholic
9,378 Posts
Right, and if you're serious about winter driving, have a dedicated set of Nokia's, or Bridgestone Blizzard.
A lot of folks go out and get dedicated mud tires and think they're going to be great in snow. Fight that battle every day.
There's nothing better for snow, than snow tires. You mentioned one that is excellent...the Bridgestone Blizzak (that's actually the name). The Michelin X-ice is very similar. Nokian makes a very good one as well..the Hakkapeliitta line.
Downside is you have to change them over. Second set of wheels is a very common way to go around here. The bulk of the country though, doesn't really want to go through the trouble so it's about chasing the balance point.
When it comes to tires, you cannot have it all. You're always exchanging one quality for another.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
See the Car & Driver winter tire review from Sep. 2019.

Reactions: tedwitt

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
I need to get new shoes for my Trailblazer before the snow flies. What I have are cracking and getting close to the wear indicators, plus I expect it to get ugly this winter. For some reason the Hankook Dynapro AT2 keeps looking good to me. I had the previous version on our 99 Tahoe and that performed very well in the snow, plus they rode decent with a slight road noise.

What is on there now is Uniroyal Cross Country Touring. They ride very good and silent. I'd get a new set of those but the tread is more fitting to an SUV that stays on pavement and doesn't see more than 2" of snow.

The Uniroyals are 107T rated while the Hankook are 111T. That will stiffen up the ride just a bit. Too bad there is no 107's with snow grabbing tread pattern in my price range.

Keep in mind my deer hunting travels take me far off road and into some nasty places with drifted snow and or tall grass.

245/65-17
Just mail order, have them dropped at the shop and knock 'em out.

·
TFFWPP President
13,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I use Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac (245/75 R16) on a Tacoma PU. Work pretty good for me.

What most people don't get is that usually "Going isn't the problem, stopping however can be"...
I was looking at those but I already did an alignment and don't want it to start pulling to the left
See the Car & Driver winter tire review from Sep. 2019.
I'm not about to have dedicated winter and summer tires, unless you are paying for them. It's bad enough these tires cost me 3 times more than the car

I get my tires for 10% above wholesale. A set of Dynapro AT2's will cost me just shy of $600. That's a decent rifle. But with the places I go when hunting I really need good tires. Plus I need to straighten my nephew's attitude. He challenged me to a pull-off tug of war against his hi tech Tucson

·
Registered
639 Posts
@68c15, Hahaha, I will not pay for your dedicated tires. I don't see the price of the vehicle having anything to do with getting stuck in the snow in the woods. You are lucky you pay what you pay so stop whining. With all the money you have this shouldn't be an issue Squeaky...

·
Premium Member
19,185 Posts
These are only rated to 112mph. Will that be a problem :)

Only kidding. Looks like a good compromise for snow off-road and highway. 60,000-mile rating looks good.

·
Garandaholic
9,378 Posts
I was looking at those but I already did an alignment and don't want it to start pulling to the left

I'm not about to have dedicated winter and summer tires, unless you are paying for them. It's bad enough these tires cost me 3 times more than the car

I get my tires for 10% above wholesale. A set of Dynapro AT2's will cost me just shy of $600. That's a decent rifle. But with the places I go when hunting I really need good tires. Plus I need to straighten my nephew's attitude. He challenged me to a pull-off tug of war against his hi tech Tucson
Dynapro AT2's are good tires. They should serve you well. Hankook made the At2 and Dynapro Ht for Sears as the Roadhandler line from about 2012-2018. We sold a lot of them. Very few problems. Nice and round, balanced well. Good traction.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
C
These are only rated to 112mph. Will that be a problem :)

Only kidding. Looks like a good compromise for snow off-road and highway. 60,000-mile rating looks good.
Chevy's trucks are governed at about 93 so no problem.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
My cars all get Michelins. They seem to last 75,000 miles for me. If I had an older car that I was only going to keep for a year or two I would look for something cheaper.

Don't make the mistake of getting mudders or some radical off-road tire. It will ruin the ride. My son did it on his jeep. I did it on an old explorer I had years back. If you take a longer trip you will regret it.
The Coopers on my Tundra are 10 plys, so ride isn't there anyway. They sure do hold up to the sharp rocks & boulders where I hunt the "Rock Loving Elk" though.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
Aromatherapy 😍
4,249 Posts
Some people don't like them, but I like the General Grabber AT-X tires. Pretty nice ride, fairly quiet, and good off-road and snow/ice.

Just air down a bit off-road and it'll give a smoother ride and more traction ;)

·
TFFWPP President
13,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Yesterday morning I was at a salvage yard with Eric from work. I asked if he had any tires for my TB. He just got in a car like mine so I looked. Brand spanking new Firestone Destination AT's, and only $300. They are only rated for 50,000 miles compared to the 60,000 for the Hankook, but half the money.
Hmmmm. I wonder if I can talk him down to $250?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yesterday morning I was at a salvage yard with Eric from work. I asked if he had any tires for my TB. He just got in a car like mine so I looked. Brand spanking new Firestone Destination AT's, and only $300. They are only rated for 50,000 miles compared to the 60,000 for the Hankook, but half the money.
You know the old saying you snooze, you loose! probably go back and they will be gone.

·
Super Moderator
25,661 Posts
You won't know until you make an offer.

·
Garandaholic
9,378 Posts
Half the price, a lot less tire too.
As I'm sure you're aware, check the dot numbers.

A general note. A mileage rating is worth what a CNN news report is. A mileage warranty is an entirely different thing.

·
TFFWPP President
13,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
DOT date is late 2019 on all 4. I checked yesterday.

I sent him an email asking if he would take $250.

I think I'll get them either way. The shorter life expectancy doesn't bother me a whole lot. For half the money I think it's worth a shot. Who knows, I may sell the car before the tires wear out.

The tread pattern looks to be more what I want for deer season and winter. Plus they are 105T as opposed to the Hankook's 111T. I'm thinking they'll ride a bit smoother. Right now I have 107T's

·
Super Moderator
38,421 Posts
If they are on rims that fit your car, seeing that it is the same kind of car, you need to take rims and all. That way you WILL have dedicated tires for summer and winter!

21 - 40 of 50 Posts