New to forum, Savage pro

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Cutty, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Cutty

Cutty New Member

Just got a new 111 Savage in .30 06. Came with Nikon scope and weak bases and rings. Put Warne bases and rings and a Leuplod vx 2 scope on. Bore sighted at 25 yds. Shooting 14” low and 14” right. Basically ran out of turret movement. At 100 yds 5” low and 3” right. Scope is on straight and level, bases and rings solid. Played around with action screws tightening front first to 40# and rear to 25#. Stock was touching a little barrel a little on left side, sanded, dollar bill slides nice. Also tried the Nikon scope, same thing. Any ideas? Kinda getting ticked off. Oh, and I’m a lefty, so had to order.

2. SeeMor Guns

SeeMor Guns Well-Known Member

You can try a set of Burris XTR Signature rings. They have the moa inserts that allow you to basically sight in a scope without using the dials. Give them a look and see if they are what you need.

They are the only rings I ise but I mainly use them to get the most elevation as possible out of my scopes. Good luck!

Patches likes this.

3. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Cut a plastic shotshell the width of your rings and 1/4 to 1/2 the circumference and use it as a shim. You could shim the rear ring up and the front ring to the right. Rear ring woks like a rear sight and the front ring like a front sight. That should give you plenty of adjustment back. Sometimes stuff just happens and a fella fixes it the way he can. I've had to do the above and you can't see the shims, the scope WILL NOT SLIP....and it doesn't cost much.

Or, as SeeMor mentioned, you can change to: Burris/Leupold/Browning/Redfield rings that have windage in the rear base...then you'll just have to shim for elevation.

pdkfishing, sparkyv and Grizzley1 like this.
  4. flboots

flboots Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum from Florida

5. sparkyv

sparkyv Well-Known Member

Howdy, from Texas.

Sounds like you know what you're doing, Cutty. It may be that the receiver may not have been drilled/tapped to true. That sucks hind teat! Could also be a faulty scope; you can mount the scope on a different firearm to determine if that's the problem. Options: send her back to the Mothership or try the shims as indicated above.

6. Patches

Patches Well-Known Member

Shims added to the rings, as has been advised, is the way to go. But you might want to take a look at the alignment of the front and rear mounts to each other while you have it on the operating table.......

sharps4590 and howlnmad like this.
  7. Cutty

Cutty New Member

Thanks for all the info. It has a Warne pic rail on it now. I tried a second scope with same results.
    I will either shim or return warne rings and get the Burris xtr sig rings. I’ll have to think on that one. Don’t think I’ll send back to savage, sanded stock a little and camouflage painted already.

8. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

Wait! This rifle has a pic rail on it that the scope rings are mounted to? That makes multiple variables to figure out.

BlackEagle likes this.
  9. Cutty

Cutty New Member

Yeah, front ring was not level with rear ring on the rail. so i’m Thinking the holes were drilled a bit off.

10. 68c15

68c15 TFFWPP President Supporting Member

I feel this is where your problem is.
    Are the bases correct? Just because the package says it's right doesn't always mean the contents are right?
    Are they mounted correctly? Sometimes they have to be mounted certain ways.

Another possibility is how you hold rifle and how your cheek sits on the stock. If it's hitting low and right for a left handed shooter it is possible your cheek and eye are high and left. One way to tell is to do the old fashioned bore sight procedure. Remove bolt, set rifle very solidly in a rest or pair of bags (I use a lead sled and strap it in place), look through bore at target 100 yards away (may need to move rest or target to get it just right), then adjust scope cross hairs to one up with same spot on target. Then look through bore again to verify it didn't move while adjusting scope and readjust scope as necessary.

I have a few Savage rifles and they all shoot very accurate. Two years ago I bought a brand new 25-06 package with scope pre-sighted in. I did the bore sight thing from above and it was writhing a few inches of correct. After 4 or 5 shots and turret adjusting it was spot on for me

BlackEagle and gvw3 like this.
  11. Cutty

Cutty New Member

Ordered the Burris xtr sig rings. Put scope on a 243 savage and shot money. So drill holes were off.
    Got tired of playing around and don’t want to send it back. I’ll let you know outcome when rings arrive. Thanks again everyone, great info.

12. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

Had that problem with different rifles in the past. Mostly on Mauser or 03 Springfield sporters. Started using Millet windage adjustable rings. Solved my problems. I'm left handed also and getting zeroed can be tough sometimes.

13. TigerLeo

TigerLeo Well-Known Member

The only part that I can't understand is you boresighted the rifle... feels like it shouldn't have been that far off, but what do I know?

14. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

That's a good question. Care to elaborate?...….:D

15. TigerLeo

TigerLeo Well-Known Member

All that I do know, pales in comparison of what I do not know, and the only thing I need to know is Jesus is Lord and Savior