ruger
3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  pawn 
#1 ·
I picked up a used Ruger 10/22 it will be fun seeing what this gun can do

when i got it.

And then i put a scope on it

See less See more
#4 ·
It will be interesting to see how much it will take to get it to shoot with your CZ

#6 ·
Always like a 10/22 - I kept mine with wood and just changed over to tech-sites. Added a sling and it has been a fun shooter ever since. That was not my first either, do yourself a favor don't get rid of it you will just want one again in the future. :)

#10 ·
Shot the ruger today, not at paper just at my range on steel, so i have no idea what kind of groups im getting. but i tell you its not as good as the trusty cz. I am going to put it back in the wood stock and float the barrel. after shooting with that folding stock i do not like it at all. ha ha. I made a few hits at 500. but it took 20 shots to do it. stand by for a real range report soon

#11 ·
It pains me to say it, but if you want 500 yd accuracy with a 10-22 you will need to do a few upgrades. The trigger is the area to look at first, there are so many aftermarket parts you can take your pick, but get a lighter pull and even with the stock barrel it will get better.
If you want to change the barrel do it before you spend a lot of time floating the factory parts. There are (again) too many choices to list. The stock parts 10-22 is a beginning point for a lot of top performing guns and the beginning of a hobby in it's self.
I enjoy my gun for what it is right out the box and have fired 10's of thousands of rounds from it at ranges up to 100 yds.

Have fun.

#12 · (Edited)
The standard .22lr drops 3 to 6 inches from 50 yards to 100 yards depending on the ammo used. I can only imagine how much overhold you're going to need to get to 500 yards. I don't have my balistics table handy, but I'd guess it has to be close to a 45 degree angle on the gun! :eek::D:eek::D

ETA: There can't be much velocity or energy left in a standard 1250 fps .22lr round at 500 yards either.

#15 ·
I shot the gun some more with some proper bags. shoots ok. i was hitting a 6 inch target at 213 yards with blazer ammo 8 out of 10 shots. I also took a few more shots at 500. the blazers shoot alot flatter then the rem subsoncis i tried the first time. I was doing double taps at 500. very cool bam bam...... wait.... ting ting... lol

#18 ·
IMHO, improving the trigger pull is the best place to start if you decide to modify your rifle. Lots of companys out there that you can ship your action off to if this isn't something you are comfortable tackling.

Extractors are oftentimes problematic with 10/22's and MK series pistols. An aftermarket extractor can be money well spent if you are getting stovepipes. Lots of guys add bolt buffers, another inexpensive upgrade. I have done these mods and also sent my bolt off to be blackened, firing pin reshaped, headspace adjusted etc. Mine ( Tactical Hogue) is also threaded and wears a Silencerco Sparrow, lots of fun with that.

Leo 2x7 rimfire scope.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.