The Firearms Forum banner

New to Reloading, looking for advice

2K views 20 replies 20 participants last post by  dbcooper 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a Lee 50th anniversary Reloading kit and a Lee Breach Lock Challenger Press. I am an avid shooter so i understand how things work in relation to my firearms. But I have never reloaded my own ammo before and I'm one of those people that have to research and analyze everything first. So my question is, are there any recommended beginner or reloading for dummies books that anyone would recommend. I have looked into Lee precision Modern reloading 2nd Edition New Format but I'm not sure it is dumbed down enough for a beginner. I have not actually opened the kit yet but I do not believe it includes any dies or what else I would need to go with it. i'm very anxious to start learning and any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

#3 ·
I would get "The ABC's of Reloading" and then at least one of the following:
  • Lyman Reloading Handbook
  • Speed Reloading Manual
  • Hornady Book of Cartridge Reloading

Personally I own all of them...if you are only going to get 1-2 make sure they cover the calibers and bullets (ideally the exact make/size) that you are going to start with...I like multiple sources with which to check my load data.

#4 ·
Another one to recommend "The ABC's of Reloading", it explains "what, when and why" very well, and is recommended for the beginner through the experienced. Then get the manual for the bullets you are planning to load... You, like most of us, will end up with a bookshelf full of different ones. None will go to waste. I have yet to say "I wish I had gotten a different one". Remember, too, there are no stupid questions.

Reactions: dbcooper and joe45c
#6 ·
Re: other things you will need

A set of dies, but also a shell holder for the round you are reloading. Some dies include this, some don't.

A digital powder scale is great. Low cost ones that will weigh in grains are available online.

If you plan on reloading for a while then an inertia (hammer style) bullet puller is handy.

A tumbler, eventually.

An off-the-press priming tool, hand or bench, eventually.

#7 ·
Manuals: you can look on Amazon or such for old reloading manuals. Old manuals have data for many older powders. New manuals have data for a few new powders and a few old powders.
I prefer Lyman and Hornady manuals, but like Richard Lee's #2 for the total volume of data he has compiled. The only issue is he did some sort of "normalizing" of the data and in many cases the start and max loads are the same--in reality, they better not be.
Dies: Lee dies are more than good enough and have much to recommend them. Otherwise, I prefer Hornady New Dimension dies.
To start, keep it simple. Don't try to address every problem any one comes up with--just stick the basics as described in the manuals.

#8 ·
Books and reload manuals are fine for those that learn well from reading. you tube vids are good too BUT IMHO a class is also a good idea the NRA offers a good basic class also a local mentor if you can find one. Ask around at the ranges you frequent you may find someone willing to help you out

#10 ·
Welcome to TFF! You are already on a good path. ALL of the above is GREAT advice.

Just one little piece from me (and a short explanation): I see that you started with Lee equipment. That isn't a bad choice, but one thing I strongly advise is to NOT rely on the Lee reloading charge weight data.

Just one example. The other day I was at my reloading bench and happened upon a reloading data sheet that came with a set of .45-70 Government dies that I bought some time back. Just for "grins and giggles" I went to my Lyman Reloading Manual and cross-checked the data. Remember that this caliber has 3 separate loading tables - depending on the strength of the action being reloaded for (1873 Trapdoor Springfield/more modern lever actions/custom rifles or modern single shot actions).

On comparing the powder charges listed on the Lee reloading data, I found that this information mostly exceeded both of the first two categories of rifles strength - and some of the charges would even push the modern rifles in the third category to their limits.

Two more quick chirps (and some may not agree with me): Do not use just the powder dippers to measure your charges. Use a good powder scale and weigh your charges individually. The last is this - It is best to get at least two published reloading manuals to cross check data, and never ask for or accept 'word of mouth' data for loading ammunition. It is fine to ask "In your experience, what powder performs well in this caliber and with this bullet" - but if that powder and bullet isn't listed in a published reloading manual - do not use it.

#11 ·
I started out with a lee kit last year and still use everything but the lube and hand primer. Cant stand either one. I used the Lee manual as well as a lyman manual. From what I can tell and what others have said, Lee basically uses load data from other sources. I love both of my lee poresses and my lee dies.

Reactions: crystalphoto
#13 ·
Welcome to the wonderful oft confusing and frustrating world of reloading! Just a few threads above your's; https://www.thefirearmsforum.com/threads/reloading-where-to-start-manuals.76152/ Most research done for basic reloading has already been mentioned, so read, read, read. When you get to the point of assembly start with tried and true, "classic loads" (like 38 Spec, use 158 gr Round nose and a fast powder like Bullseye or W231. 45 ACP jacketed 230 gr. FMJ. etc.). After you get the hang of reloading these components, try different components/loads. Always start with recommended "starting loads" and if you feel necessary, go up with charges.

Another hint I tell new reloaders to pay no attention to any forum expert, range rat, gun counter clerk, pet loads web site, or gun shop guru when it comes to load data (types of powder and powder charges). Start with the data from published reloading manuals and you'll produce safe, accurate reloads (and perhaps powder manufacturer's web sites).

Go slow, double check everything, and most important, have fun...

#18 ·
^^^This^^^

GREAT places to start, both books have a lot of detail on "how to load" from a pretty generic point of view. Have read both of them through cover-to-cover at least 3 times, although I have an older version of the Lyman book.

#20 ·
Morehead,

+1 on the ABC's of Reloading. You are also on track asking questions and reading forums but always remember if is your gun, your fingers, and your eyes that will suffer most if you fail to pay attention. NEVER blindly trust a recipe you get on the internet. That is not to say you cannot get suggestions, review someone's pet load, etc. Just do not assume the person giving you the data double checked the data or proofread the post.

Something not mentioned - or maybe I missed it - find someone local who reloads. Offer to buy pizza or something to sit in on a reloading session. You can learn more in 30 minutes with an experienced reloader than you can learn in a week of reading. But do read ABCs of Reloading first, that way you know what questions to ask.

If you don't know someone who reloads, ask around your local gun store or range. Heck, ask here if anyone is local.

Reactions: crystalphoto
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.