The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I've been shooting for about 26 years, since I was five years old. I'm just now getting into reloading, I've ordered my press (Dillon 550) and it should be here sometime in April. I'll be starting off reloading .40 and .45 ACP, eventually adding .357 Mag, .223/5.56, and maybe .44 Mag since I'd like to get a .44 eventually.

So far, I've started by doing a lot of reading (ABCs and Lymans 49th, along with a lot of internet reading, and Youtube watching), researching a couple loads I'd like to try out, and stocking up on components. I bought 500 Rainier .45 ACP bullets and 500 Berrys .40 bullets at Cabelas, ordered two pounds each of HS-6 and Titegroup from Midsouth, and found a guy selling primers locally and stocked up with 10k PMC small pistol primers. I found a guy selling brass that he scavenged and cleaned up, bought 1300 .40 at 3 cents a piece and 800 .45 at 4 cents a piece. I still need to get large pistol primers since 95% of my .45 brass requires it. I'd also like to get some Accurate #5 and #7 powders, but for the moment they're kinda hard to find, so I'll stick with what I've got.

Still on the to-do list is to build a bench and get some more storage stuff to get organized. The bench I'm planning to build is this one:

http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/downloads/bench_plans.pdf

but just the bench, not the cabinet on top. I'll buy some plastic storage bins and such for the storage of different components.

Anyone have any suggestions or helpful tips for me? Anything you learned from experience when you were new to this that I might not get from a book or the Dillon setup DVD? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's a nice bench. but it seems like a lot of work. I used a solid core door(factory second for about $20) set on 2 drawer filing cabinets found at garage sales. You will want a few more tool heads for the Dillon, they make changing calibers lots faster because you won't need to change your dies, just pull 2 pins and you're done on top.

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
My advice is plan to have plenty of room for storage! You will need it!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a nice bench. but it seems like a lot of work. I used a solid core door(factory second for about $20) set on 2 drawer filing cabinets found at garage sales. You will want a few more tool heads for the Dillon, they make changing calibers lots faster because you won't need to change your dies, just pull 2 pins and you're done on top.
I did order an extra toolhead and caliber conversion kit for the .45, and planned on doing the same for future calibers. Seems like it's definitely worth it to not have to set everything up from scratch, just put the new toolhead on there, double check everything, and go.

As far as the bench, I don't mind the work. It's something that's going to last me for years and years, I'd like to make it solid and permanent.

My advice is plan to have plenty of room for storage! You will need it!
Haha, yes indeed. That's another reason I like the big bench, plenty of room to organize all the stuff I'll accrue.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Are you going to sit or stand? I built my bench at 42" off the floor. Standard is 36". I like it higher for when I'm standing, but I need to build a chair that sits ^" higher than standard chairs or stools in my case. Just something to think of before building that bench.

·
Registered
9,415 Posts
Are you going to sit or stand? I built my bench at 42" off the floor. Standard is 36". I like it higher for when I'm standing, but I need to build a chair that sits ^" higher than standard chairs or stools in my case. Just something to think of before building that bench.
I am with you ejkoechling. I prefer a taller banch an my bench sits at 43.5". I usually stand and rarely sit.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a very good point, and something I hadn't really thought about. I guess I'll probably do most of my work standing, since I do plenty of sitting at work already. I'll have to take that into account when I cut the legs for my bench.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My bench is also higher than standard desk height. Makes it comfortable to stand. I have a stool that is the right height to be able to sit. These are definitely things to take into consideration before you start building.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.