The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to reloading and am using the hornady priming tool.I’m starting to get messed up primers when installing them. has any one else had problems with this tool or is it worn out already. It’s all plastic .
Thank you

·
Administrator
11,893 Posts
What brass are you using? I had an issue way back years ago when I knew nothing about crimped primer pockets. A pic of the primer pocket may be helpful.

·
Premium Member
12,280 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Hornady tool but, all plastic sends up all kinds of red flags to me.

·
Premium Member
7,769 Posts
I use the Hornady hand primer But the only plastic parts are the tray and cover.
Pictures of how you use it and the problems you are getting would help.
I’ve learned to hold mine a certain way to get the best results.
The two trays are also designated for the type of shell holder you are using and there are two pin sizes too.
Is it set up for what you are doing?

·
Premium Member
12,280 Posts
Well heck, that should work just fine. I couldn't really imagine one being ALL plastic.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What brass are you using? I had an issue way back years ago when I knew nothing about crimped primer pockets. A pic of the primer pocket may be helpful.
I am at work right now I will get pictures when I get home.Winchester and some that I picked up after shooting with friends.

·
GUNZILLA
6,439 Posts
If you are at work you should not be reading this. If the brass is for .223 or 5.56 for an AR or 7.62 NATO type ammo than your brass could have crimped primers which require removing the crimp from the primer pockets with a swaging tool or a primer pocket reamer.

·
Super Moderator
26,841 Posts
Post up some pics of the problem when you can. Then we can better help you with your problem.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow I didn’t mean to put that many pictures up LOL. That’s the cases I’m using and I’m using Winchester primers and the Hornady priming tool. The punch seems really sloppy compared to when I first started using it. Thank you

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will get rid of the extra pictures. But back to your problerm. See that little ring around the primer pocket, that is called a crimp and needs to be removed.
Thanks for the help with the pictures. How do I remove the crimp and what tool is needed? I guess I can google it.Thank You I really appreciate the help.

·
Super Moderator
26,841 Posts
Yup, crimped primers. Several ways to remove. They make a swaging kit $$$, you can use a mouth deburring tool or a countersink, available at any home improvement store. Oh, or a hand held crimp remover available from Lyman, RCBS and others. I'll post pics of 3 of them in a minute.

·
Premium Member
7,769 Posts
Is it just the photo angle or is the tray hanging down?

A small primer pin in the large primer end of the tray will be sloppy.
Are you using a Hornady shell holder?
If the tray is worn, check with Hornady.
They might send you a new one.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is it just the photo angle or is the tray hanging down?

A small primer pin in the large primer end of the tray will be sloppy.
Are you using a Hornady shell holder?
If the tray is worn, check with Hornady.
They might send you a new one.
The tray is a little sloppy in the handle and yes it’s a Hornady shell holder. Do they have a warranty on them?

·
Premium Member
7,769 Posts
The tray is a little sloppy in the handle and yes it’s a Hornady shell holder. Do they have a warranty on them?
It never hurts to talk to someone there and explain what’s going on. If nothing else it wouldn’t cost much to buy a new tray from them if they won’t just send you one.
I think you will like using it once you get the crimps removed.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Super Moderator
39,887 Posts
Sorry, my granddaughter stopped by and I had to talk with her for a couple of minutes BUT looks like the other guys jumped in to finish what I was going to say about the primers. When you see that little cross in a circle on any brass, that means it is NATO and 99.9% of them will need to have that crimp removed.

The priming problem will probably go away once the crimp is gone.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It never hurts to talk to someone there and explain what’s going on. If nothing else it wouldn’t cost much to buy a new tray from them if they won’t just send you one.
I think you will like using it once you get the crimps removed.
Thank you, I checked and I have the small pin in and the small side of tray in the handle. I will try contacting Hornady.

·
Super Moderator
39,887 Posts
This is what I use for decrimping the primer pocket (if I only have a few to do), even though it says it is a chamfer tool, it works great for cutting out the crimp, too. I do also use it to chamfer and deburr after trimming the brass. That also brings up another question - what do you do about trimming your brass?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thank you, I checked and I have the small pin in and the small side of tray in the handle. I will try contacting Hornady.
Just remember that you need to remove the crimp first. There's not a lot that can go wrong with the Hornady Hand Primer, short of breaking the tray. Hornady can't help you with de-crimping your brass...but they do have a Single Stage LNL Primer Pocket (DeCrimp) Swage Die. It works perfectly for me for .223 REM, 5.56 Nato, and crimped .300 AAC Blackout brass.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts