The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one else cast their own bullets,should we have more info on this? Im new to it but looking for more info. Can not buy bullets anywere so lets make our own.

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
I haven't cast a bullet in many years, but am getting back into it ASAP!

·
Super Moderator
47,183 Posts
I started casting my own, in some calibers, about a year after I started reloading. I started reloading close to 40 years ago.

Ask away, mitchell38, someone will know the answer!!

·
Registered
745 Posts
hi, and welcome
lots of people casting their own,, good hobby great way to waste an afternoon ;) ,, i have been casting my own for about 40yrs,, even set up a couple homemade dies for sizes not available,, work great,, not benchrest quality but they are good out to 100yrds with no problem,, is best to slug your barrel first then buy about .002 larger, works better for running thru the lube and resizeing die, stay with lower loading data,, or put gascheck on bottom when sizeing and you can load hotter,,,
i recommend staying away from softer alloy (except for blackpowder) a harder alloy helps to keep from leading your barrel,,
the layman book gives some good info,, if you follow it you wont have any problems
have fun

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Does any one else cast their own bullets,should we have more info on this? Im new to it but looking for more info. Can not buy bullets anywere so lets make our own.
Here on TFF and almost everywhere....
there is tons of info on this subject.
Search .....and read....and you will be full of it.
It is not a new phenomenon.

Many of us have no ammo shortage.....
because this is not a new thing.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've been casting about a year now. I bought one bullet mold and now I have eight. They seem to grow. I cast all of the pistol bullets I shoot. I do not cast rifle bullets ..... yet.

Most of my equipment is LEE. I have the 20 lb pot and many of thier molds. I don't think aluminum is the best choice for bullet molds but once you get the hang of casting with LEE molds it works well, very well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.