The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Nice, VERY nice!
I'd like someday to get a chance to just shoot/fire one of those.

·
Premium Member
19,857 Posts
You will have a lot of fun with that...

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now I have to save up the money for a mold. Not many people make them and they are pricey.:mad:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
54 caliber, aren't those a common caliber or do you need a special bullet?

·
Premium Member
13,248 Posts
Now I have to save up the money for a mold. Not many people make them and they are pricey.:mad:
I'd suggest slugging the bore. Some years before moving to Alaska I'd bought an Italian made (Pedersoli?) Sharps 1859 New Model from Navy Arms, and borrowed a Lyman mould from a friend who cast bullets for his original Sharps rifles & carbines. The mould cast something in the .545 range as I recall. My Sharps slugged at .52 or thereabouts. Turned out Dixie had the proper projectiles, as well as the nitrated paper for rolling the paper cartridges.

·
TFF Chaplain
20,387 Posts
The .45-90 I shot last year gave me a technicolor shoulder for a week. But it was fun. And accurate.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pedersoli's do have smaller bores. I suppose most any .54 bullet would work but the Sharps Ringtail would be easier to work with. Moose Molds makes a 544-480 double cavity for 125.00

·
TFF Chaplain
20,387 Posts
Nice I love my Sharps 45/70
A friend loaned me his 45/70 a couple of years ago for a competition, and I won the championship. I used his 45/90 last year, was sighting it in during the competition, and lost by 2 points. Long story short there. I like the guns; satisfying to shoot, but need to learn how to absorb the recoil better. It goes "bang" and I brace myself for the "OW" about a second later.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
I like it! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts