New Trap Shooter

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by tuckerd1, Oct 1, 2018.

1. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporting Member

At the TFF BBQ I shot 3 rounds of trap with Val, @gvw3, and his son Buddy. They very gracious allowing me to shoot their shotguns and burn up their ammo. Also, very helpful getting me started and giving tips as I progressed.

Now I have a dilemma. I want to continue, but I do not have a trap shotgun. I have a Remington 1100 28" Mod choke and a Remington 870 26" Imp Cyl. Both are 12ga. Without investigating in a dedicated trap gun for now, how can I convert what I have?

As I improve and still enjoy the sport a dedicated trap gun will most likely be in my future.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    BlackEagle and jsjj388 like this.
  2. Patches

Patches Well-Known Member

Frankly, I can not answer that. However I can offer some advise; that, like all advise, is worth what is paid for it.... Never the less.
    My advise to you is to latch onto an experienced trap shooter and ask this person to help you find a used trap gun that fits you. That is not an easy thing to do but if you try and convert a field gun to a trap (skeet or whatever) gun you are setting yourself on a path of frustration, ultimate increased cost; not to mention getting bad shooting habits set in concrete.
    Take a look at ********* or Bud's and check out used BT 99 or Browning trap guns for price ranges and then visit some local gun shops to get a reality check on costs.
    Field guns are not the same as trap guns relative to their geometry and in the simplest and basic terms of comparison: a trap gun is configured in such a way as to allow the shooter to SEE the target at all times during its flight so the shooter can judge lead; on the other hand when shooting a field gun the shooter typically covers the target with the muzzle AFTER judging range / speed / flight of the target.

3. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

I can't say about the chokes, but when my grandson was shooting trap I saw plenty of semi auto and pump guns being used with fine results.

bigjohn62, jsjj388, Broot and 3 others like this.
  4. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

You don't absolutely need an expensive dedicated trap gun to enjoy trap shooting. My SIL and 2 grandkids started out with a Remington 11/87, a Mossberg pump and a Browning A-5. They all have better trap guns now that they are totally involved in the sport, but they're not needed to start up. Give sporting clays a try if they have a course set up. It's fun.

5. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I also use a 1100 when i shoot trap. But mine has a FULL choked barrel. Sometimes i use my 16 ga A5 also have the full choke in.

6. ysacres

ysacres Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

I'm not a "trap" shooter, I use shotguns for hunting and personal defense, shooting clay pidgin's helps me get on target (practice) and become very proficient with the guns I have. unless your going to join a club and travel the circuit there's no need for another dedicated shotgun. (Well....Maybe) :D
    DSCN1579.JPG

jwdurf, bigjohn62, BlackEagle and 3 others like this.
  7. tuckerd1

Just because we can!:D

bigjohn62 and howlnmad like this.
  8. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Patches is right on with this.
    At my club a lot of guys shoot field guns. Remington 870 Wingmasters Browning BPS are the most common pump guns. Most of these guys are bird hunters and shoot what they take in the field.

The main thing is you need a gun that fits you. Close your eyes and mount it. Look down the rib and if you see both beads and they line up good it fits.

The most popular shotgun at my club is the Browning 725 Citori. O/U. They don't fit me so I went with a Beretta Black Onyx. Now I shoot my Remington 1100 my wife got me for Christmas that cost 1/3 of what I payed for the Baretta as it just works best for me.

9. eastbanks

eastbanks Well-Known Member

we have a oldies trap shoot(men and shotguns) at our club and its a blast, no 25-25,s but a lot of 22-25,s and a few 24-25,s. I shoot these shotguns at that event. a pump Winchester 1897- a double barrel Charles daley- auto browning A-5. your Remington 1100 will do as is and a barrel change would put your Remington 870 in the same boat.

Attached Files:

ysacres, bigjohn62, tuckerd1 and 2 others like this.
  10. bigjohn62

bigjohn62 Well-Known Member

Last fall I built a new trap for the local gun club and was invited to shoot a few rounds over it upon its completion. That was the first time I shot trap and I was hooked. I shot 2 man league trap starting this spring and in the beginning I was down right awful (scored somewhere around a 25 out of 50). After shooting a few rounds I got a lot of help from the guys shooting with me. My shooting ended up being on the low end of respectable and I was much improved (42 out 50). The guns being shot there were in every price range, but one the best shooters there used an old model 12 Winchester field gun.
    That being said, the best advice I got was to be consistent. Pick a gun and shoot it, mind the little things like your stance. Shoot the same shells every time, A 150 or 200 fps makes a difference. I shoot Kent 1-1/8 oz #8 shot 1300fps. from the LGS. Brand doesn't matter and speed doesn't matter as much as being consistent. It you use the cheap stuff from --------- then always use the cheap stuff, be consistent. Next at the advice of a friend (the owner of the LGS) I bought a new choke for my Browning gold evolve, a pattern master, extra full. Very sound advice, get a good choke. Practice and be consistent. Shoot, have fun and be consistent.
    As mentioned before by Patches, the BT-99 would be a good choice for an affordable trap gun.

Good luck, good shooting and have fun.
    John

P.S. be consistent.

11. gvw3

Once you get a shotgun stay with it. Trap is a game where you have to pay your dues. You need to shoot a lot of clays to get good with it. Changing shotguns will through you off.

Remington 1100 are great shotguns but on the negative side is they need a good cleaning after each day of shooting. The BT-99 almost never needs cleaned.

shootbrownelk, bigjohn62 and tuckerd1 like this.
  12. tuckerd1

Okay, I did that and my eyes are dead on the bead straight down the barrel. with my 1100.

What if I just spend $250 on a 30" Trap Rem Choke barrel to see if this is a game I want to stick with.

BTW, every time I shouldered Buddy's BT 99 I had to move my head to get the sights.

bigjohn62, joe45c and howlnmad like this.
  13. tuckerd1

I do have a Winchester Model 37 Steelbilt, 12ga, 30" that has a inside barrel dia. of .6975. If standard 12 ga dia. is .729 and full constriction is .030, would this be close to full? Just a thought. The high class shooters would probably freak out if I showed up with a old Steelbilt single shot.

Of course it would probably blacken a shoulder after 4 rounds, 100 shots.

14. gvw3

I think that is full. Not sure. I wouldn't worry about what others thought of your shotgun. I started with a Mossberg 535 pump. My son started with a Mossberg 500 in camo.

Some trap ranges have their snobs. My club has a lot of bird hunters. They are impressed with how well you shoot not the cost of the gun you have. The snobs at my club don't last long. They come in with their $10,000 shotguns (some a lot more) and can't shoot them. That's not to say there isn't some nice high dollar guns at the club, there are.

15. Patches

Patches Well-Known Member

Yep, I have seen that snobishness many times on the trap fields. And it appears, to me anyhow, that it is not dependent on the gun they are shooting but rather the group they shoot with. I mostly see that snobishness displayed when people shoot on a trap "team" or in a league. Kind of a sense, attitude of superiority. I have shot with a few trap teams / leagues and did not like the internal pressure placed on the group by the better shooters. Probably the same thing that happens with bowling leagues / teams. When I shoot trap now - I shoot to better myself and this allows me to be as snobbish and as arrogant as I want. When I shoot badly, it'a always the fault of: sun glare, severe wind, inverted Coriolis Effect, bug got in my eye, too hot / cold, did not wear lucky socks.... ;)