The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I don't know how these will pan out but they sure look good. Above is a picture of the new Walther PPK/S in .22 caliber. This pistol comes in a dark finish and a shiny ( stainless) finish. S&W will no longer be importing certain firearms from Walther. This will include the new PPK/S, P22 and other pistols. They have new operations in Ft Smith, Arkansas.

The pistol above is a combination of the old PPK/S design with some internal changes. The shape and size is PPK. The slide is cast zinc. There is a pinned in breech block. The frame/barrel fitment is per P22. The barrel is slightly shorter than the P22 version but with the removable barrel nut the pistol is ready for suppression. The slide serrations are sharp like you would see on a steel slide. The heft of the pistol is correct, the size is correct. The slide moves freely with no play in fitment to the frame. Internal fire control components are about....?????? 90% PPK. The safety and firing pin is different...more P22 style.

One thing I noticed was that the take down lever...the trigger guard....pulls down easily and smoothly with no catch that requires you to snap it loose. I'm not sure that if a shooter had on heavy winter gloves he might not accidentally disconnect the trigger guard while shooting. This would not allow the slide to hit the shooter in the face but would allow it to jump the rails and possibly fly down range. I'm not sure.....didn't take the slide off or get to inspect it that carefully. I sure felt nice.

MSRP is $399 on this pistol and if it weren't for the current feeding frenzy this pistol would likely sell for $360. I never buy a freshly minted new model of anything these days so I will wait to hear what owners and reviewers have to say.....unless.....Walther were to ship one to my FFL LGS for, er...me to test for them. ;) M1911

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
One thing IMO the world needs right now is a quality made small frame .22 pistol. I've had my fill of the Pac-Rim cheapies. You might be able to make one fairly reliable, if you know what to do. Very interested in this as well. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
I like Walther pistols, and the factory-threaded barrel appeals to me. Zinc slide detracts, but it's held up on the P22.

I would be interested.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I wonder if operations in Ft. Smith will have direct outlet? I'm close enough to drive there if they are cheaper that way.

·
Registered
17,295 Posts
That comment about the trigger guard reads, to me, like it's a bad thing.

Walther has been doing it that way - with no "catch" - for over 80 years now, and I've never heard of a gun coming apart while firing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That comment about the trigger guard reads, to me, like it's a bad thing.

Walther has been doing it that way - with no "catch" - for over 80 years now, and I've never heard of a gun coming apart while firing.
The only PPK/S I've had any experience with were all in .380, S&W and Interarms and did I mention...they have a pretty hefty kick. But I don't remember any that I could pull the front of the trigger guard down with my finger in the trigger guard by accident. This one was very easy. I'm going back to check this again and make sure it was all the way up and see if I can easily disengage it. I'll post what I find.

I've talked to the guy in charge of Walther small arms over the years, Daniel Rieger. I've already sent notice on how nice the pistol feels and looks. I asked a member at RFC who lived in Las Vegas to go over to the SHOT show and have a look and take the slide off. He did, met Daniel and posted pictures of the internal components. These are at WaltherForums and RimFireCentral if anyone is interested. Back a few pages now.

I wasn't really sure how this pistol was going to turn out based on some of the recent Walther/Umarex firearms. It may blow up, the slide may crack or wear prematurely, might not cycle.....but it sure looks good and I've only read one report of someone who purchased one. They had only fired 50 rounds of Federal Match and reported 100% function. I hope it proves to be a fine firearm. Walther did look at making a steel .22 by the old specs but ultimately determined the marked wasn't there for $1,000+ .22 PPK/S.....not to mention skilled smiths who once hand fitted the parts into Walther pistols. As they say, they don't make em like that anymore and they aren't going to. That day is gone. M1911

1 - 7 of 7 Posts