The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,966 Posts
Man with that gun i could hunt deer from my house! Now the deer just kind of snicker when i park my truck next to the road and say "here he comes again", but with this i can shoot them from my house while they are having their morning coffee. They'd never know what hit them! ;)

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
The link only gives me a blank page. But it’s MSN, so they probably took the article down because its not PC.

Mighty impressive rifle. I’m guessing it’s shooting a heavy VLD type bullet. Ronny Barrett must be happy they used a Barrett developed cartridge. Calculating the wind switch, the coriolis affect of the Earths rotation aside from bullet drop must had been been a head scratcher.

There is a Youtube channel MarkandSam AfterWork, (word spacing correct) a Australian couple where Mark is shooting different rifles at 2,000, 3,000, 4,000 plus yards. Sam is spotting to call hits or misses.

EDIT
Found other articles about the shot.

·
Super Moderator
32,178 Posts
The link only gives me a blank page. But it’s MSN, so they probably took the article down because its not PC.

Mighty impressive rifle. I’m guessing it’s shooting a heavy VLD type bullet. Ronny Barrett must be happy they used a Barrett developed cartridge. Calculating the wind switch, the coriolis affect of the Earths rotation aside from bullet drop must had been been a head scratcher.

There is a Youtube channel MarkandSam AfterWork, (word spacing correct) a Australian couple where Mark is shooting different rifles at 2,000, 3,000, 4,000 plus yards. Sam is spotting to call hits or misses.
416 Barrett with a 422 grain bullet.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
See, this is what happens when you sit in the bathroom too long with your reloading manuals, staring at trajectory charts :LOL:

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
See, this is what happens when you sit in the bathroom too long with your reloading manuals, staring at trajectory charts :LOL:
My Sierra manual only goes out 1,000 yards. It would be guessing for further shots. But there are ballistic apps for cellphones and computers. You really need a chronograph to clock the load to fully use the apps though.

A friend of mine and I have done some long distance shooting. We have a motto that shooting isn’t interesting until we’re shooting past 500 yards.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I didn't read the article but the only question that came to my mind is - WHY?
Just because it hasn’t been done before. It’s a lot safer and more fun than trying to set a new record scaling a mountain or setting a land speed record.

The article I found was from the guys who shot who set the current record. The previous record was 4.0 miles. It took that effort 69 shots also before they hit the target. 69 must a magical number.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts