The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could my son, who is 19, buy a non detachable magazine AR-15? If not, could he purchase a lower receiver and build his own? What is his best option?

·
Super Moderator
38,396 Posts
We do have one gun dealer/gunsmith from upstate New York (goofy) who can probably answer your question but he probably won't be around until tomorrow morning. With that said, I do agree with Aaron in regards to checking NY laws to verify anything you might learn on any Forum.

·
Premium Member
9,212 Posts
I wouldn't check with people on here about this, you need to read up on NY law or talk to an attorney I'd wager. Too much on the line.
Why?. This is a gun forum and there are people that can answer her correctly.
There are allot of members that are in NY and have to deal with the laws EVERY DAY. AND I am a dealer in NY and can answer any question regarding NY gun laws.
Mike

Could my son, who is 19, buy a non detachable magazine AR-15? If not, could he purchase a lower receiver and build his own? What is his best option?
READ THE SAFE-ACT..........
You will NOT be able to buy a AR-15 in NY with a detachable mag. In NY they have to be a permitly attached Magazine.
With that said there are ways to do what the powers to be want and make them happy the way I do it in my shop is with a Mag-Lock system. But the Mag does have to be a 10 round mag only.
Yes he can buy a lower (With a back round check) and build one but that one also has to have a locked mag. Having a AR-15 with out one will cost you time in jail.
DO NOT LET YOUR SON DO THIS WITHOUT FOLLOWING THE LAW!!!!!!!!!!!
Or you will be visiting him in jail.
I do not know in what part you are in NY some county's enforce the safe-act with a passion. Others do not.
BUT ALL WILL ARREST FOR A REMOVEABLE MAG. OR FOR A MAG THAT HOLDS OVER 10 ROUNDS.
Mike
PS- Welcome to TFF.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why?. This is a gun forum and there are people that can answer her correctly.
There are allot of members that are in NY and have to deal with the laws EVERY DAY. AND I am a dealer in NY and can answer any question regarding NY gun laws.
Mike

READ THE SAFE-ACT..........
You will NOT be able to buy a AR-15 in NY with a detachable mag. In NY they have to be a permitly attached Magazine.
With that said there are ways to do what the powers to be want and make them happy the way I do it in my shop is with a Mag-Lock system. But the Mag does have to be a 10 round mag only.
Yes he can buy a lower (With a back round check) and build one but that one also has to have a locked mag. Having a AR-15 with out one will cost you time in jail.
DO NOT LET YOUR SON DO THIS WITHOUT FOLLOWING THE LAW!!!!!!!!!!!
Or you will be visiting him in jail.
I do not know in what part you are in NY some county's enforce the safe-act with a passion. Others do not.
BUT ALL WILL ARREST FOR A REMOVEABLE MAG. OR FOR A MAG THAT HOLDS OVER 10 ROUNDS.
Mike
PS- Welcome to TFF.
Thank you so much for your very detailed response. I read the NY SAFE ACT and it stated if the magazine is fixed, it’s not an “assault weapon”. So since he will be getting the 10-round fixed magazine, could he get other features like a collapsible stock, pistol grip and muzzle brake? What age could he purchase an AR-15, 18 or 21? What age could he purchase a lower receiver with the fixed magazine, 18 or 21? Thank you so much again.

·
Premium Member
9,212 Posts
You can buy a long gun (Ar-15) at 18 years old or above.
Yes if it has a fixed mag. you can have all the extras.
You can buy a lower at 18 too.
Why don't you have your son come on TFF and ask the questions he needs answered.
If he is old enough to buy and use a AR then he should be the one asking the questions.
When he buys a lower it will not have a fixed mag. he will have to do the work himself.
Mike

·
Administrator
1911 Nut
10,950 Posts
You can buy a long gun (Ar-15) at 18 years old or above.
Yes if it has a fixed mag. you can have all the extras.
You can buy a lower at 18 too.
Why don't you have your son come on TFF and ask the questions he needs answered.
If he is old enough to buy and use a AR then he should be the one asking the questions.
When he buys a lower it will not have a fixed mag. he will have to do the work himself.
Mike
Seems to me, that if an AR has to have a fixed magazine, that you would not be able to buy a lower in NY without a fixed magazine already done. Stupid laws.

·
Premium Member
9,212 Posts
Seems to me, that if an AR has to have a fixed magazine, that you would not be able to buy a lower in NY without a fixed magazine already done. Stupid laws.
No you can buy a lower that has nothing done to it. If you are building it it is up to you to make it compliant.
The mag. lock is very simple to drop a mag and put in a new one. There is a guy on the internet that reload with a mag-lock just about as quick then a AR that does not have one.
When they make a law the first thing that happens is designing something to get around the stupid laws.
Mike

·
Premium Member
19,170 Posts
You need to stand and fight. It would be great to live in a gun friendly state but if we all flead to these states it would get worse for everyone.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
With all the recent state and metropolitan changes in laws regarding age to buy, outlawed features, etc., you do need to check your local laws. There should be info online, an official website with pertinent laws and regulations. And, a call to your chief LEO should get you the info.

·
Premium Member
9,212 Posts
With all the recent state and metropolitan changes in laws regarding age to buy, outlawed features, etc., you do need to check your local laws. There should be info online, an official website with pertinent laws and regulations. And, a call to your chief LEO should get you the info.
I might agree but sense there are people here that know the laws (And that is ALL the new laws for there state) Asking here is as good as calling LEO that might give you bad info.
I work with LEO and believe me they do not always know.
I gave him the best up to date info. he needed.
Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts