New York State vs NRA

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by Aspeck, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Nor Cal Mikie

Nor Cal Mikie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

And probably MADE IN CHINA. :rolleyes::mad::oops:

Gudaki, jbmid1, bosun and 1 other person like this.
  2. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've been an NRA member since the late '50s and keep my membership current, but pretty much like clockwork over the past five or six years I'll get a notice every ninety days or so warning me my membership's about to expire and to renew immediately. I guess they've taken a page from AARP's playbook, banking on the fact that some folks will just automatically assume they're right and mail 'em a check. No, I'm not an AARP member, but Dear One is because they offer a good deal on car insurance.

3. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Vic didn't they just recently come out with bump stocks that are fitted to muzzle loaders?:D

4. rglbegl

rglbegl Well-Known Member

A gun is made of a Lock, stock, and barrel.
    They okayed the ban of the stock. What is next? They are okay with the banning of the lock?(Action) Or maybe just ban small parts, like the trigger, or the firing pin.
    Is anyone here okay with that?

Look, I have seen all of the "If it were not for the NRA . . . . . .. "
    If the NRA did not exist, a different group would have stepped up and filled the void.
    Kind of like how the GOA saw that the NRA is failing so they stepped up and are now doing more for gun rights than the NRA is.

5. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Joe, I heard a rumor a bump stock was going to be offered by some maker for double rifles and drillings. Haven't heard of one for muzzleloaders, yet.....maybe Griz has? I was hopin' for one for lever rifles!!

A bump stock is an after market accessory. What rifle, shotgun or handgun is it that you cannot purchase since they were banned? I've never seen any firearm offered for sale by most manufacturers the vast majority of gun owners buy from where a firing pin, extractor, trigger, ejector, lock or barrel was left off to be purchased aftermarket. That argument is spurious. They don't come, "batteries not included, some assembly required".

I don't like the ban. It won't prevent anything anymore than banning high cap magazines or semi-auto rifles. But, to call it an infringement on 2nd Amendment rights is stretching the rubber band pretty tight.. To be redundant, tell me what firearm you cannot purchase because bump stocks are banned? One will be adequate.

I used to belong to the GOA, good outfit. I have a few "Citizen of the Year" certificates from them and the CCRKBA. I haven't heard anything about them in...a great long time. Is Alan Gottlieb still in charge of them? He was a good guy. What are all these great things they're doing? Why are they never heard from?

Virginia Patriot likes this.
  6. xring3

xring3 Member

I’m a life member of NRA. Having said that I usually pitch their junk mail, don’t generally vote for board members and stopped the printed magazine. The magazine is mostly political in nature and any firearms information I need is on the internet.

Empty_Holster likes this.
  7. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

NY can just raise taxes. Don't forget, they're also going to get bailed out by the feds.
    It's going to be infuriating to watch our tax dollars bail out all the liberal hellholes, but it's coming in a Covid relief package.

Gudaki, joe45c and Empty_Holster like this.
  8. Empty_Holster

Empty_Holster Well-Known Member Supporting Member

NONE of the other "gun protection" outfits have the funds to fight off large legal issues. There is at least one in every state plus GOA. NRA spends MILLIONS every month all over the country fighting illegal actions.

You don't want the mail from the NRA? Tell them to stop!! I haven't received any of their paperwork in years.

BlackEagle and joe45c like this.
  9. ScrapMetal

ScrapMetal Well-Known Member

I know the NRA has gotten some bad press lately but I'm still not sure just how much of it is true. Can we believe everything the NY Times or Washington Post prints? Hardly. I'm not happy that NRA itself hasn't given their detailed version of what took place, at least I haven't found it anywhere but most of what I see is bad-mouthing and conjecture. As I understand it that is still unfolding in a lawsuit with the media firm, etc. I don't think the full truth, good or bad, has actually come to light yet. I personally would like to see some changes at the NRA but I work from within by voting and letter writing not griping about them to others.

On another topic, I always see a lot of people complaining about the fund raising mailers they get from the NRA. For gosh sakes, WHY? If you don't like it just throw it away. It's not a big deal. Do you not understand that it takes money to run the programs, help state organizations, lobby, etc. etc? They can't just do that on your $20 membership dues. They have to raise more money and direct mailers to the membership is the most effective way to do it. If you have a better idea let them know I'm sure they'd love to hear it.

I've been supporting the NRA, SAF, ASA, and GOA for more years than I care to remember so I take it kind of personal when the organizations (the only ones I know of that are actually looking out for our rights) are being attacked by corrupt politicians, media, or just people bad mouthing them without trying to understand.

If we let the NRA fall they will go after the other gun rights organizations next, mark my words. I will be writing a couple of extra checks to the NRA this month as well as extending my memberships to the other orgs. It's the only way we have of fighting back.

JMHO

-Ron

10. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The NRA is like an itch the gun grabbing libs can't scratch. I'm a member & I support them because, if nothing else, they are a constant reminder that an entity with clout is watching all the sneaky moves the anti-gun politicians make to try & undo the 2A. Our Constitution is already being used as a door mat for the race baiters & politically correct do-gooders who are slowly but methodically doing an end run on many of our freedoms in the name of offending our socially, politically & religiously diverse minorities who here-to-fore only had the possibility of out breeding us to gain any real power base. Take a good look around at the gains only a small percentage of aliens, legal & illegal, have made. And these are people who refuse to learn to speak English, but are given drivers license tests & a dozens of other documents in their own foreign language & are allowed to vote without any proof of citizenship. We are letting hundreds of thousands of aliens come into this Country who leave their former homes to flee the war torn countries they refuse to fight for. When push comes to shove, how many of them will we be able to count on to fight for us?

Look around. Look at the numbers of foreigners who still live their lives here exactly like they did in the old country. I see them all the time, jabbering in some language I can't understand & totally disregarding social distancing & not wearing masks. One of these days all of us are going to need to say that enough is enough. Our Country, our rules. The door swings both ways!

11. Virginia Patriot

Virginia Patriot Well-Known Member

Part of the anti-gunners plan is to divide the public on the NRA one way or the other. To them, division weakens the NRA's clout and reputation. I am a NRA Endowment Life Member, a member of the GOA and a member of the Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) and I help support each of them the best that I can. Do I agree with everything that these three groups do? No, but I do appreciate all that they do to protect the Second Amendment.

12. WillieB

WillieB Well-Known Member

If the NRA falls, where do its members go? To GOA, SAF or another pro gun organization. That organization adds to its numbers and gets stronger. The next one falls and the remaining organizations gain more members and get stronger. If they all fall but one, you have a mega crap-ton of members all under one banner. What the Libs would have inadvertently created is the strongest pro gun organization ever known to mankind. I don’t think they want to face that kind of “firepower.” (Pun intended.) United we stand, divided we fall.

sharps4590 likes this.
  13. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

I joined the NRA on and off but let the membership expire , when I joined the TSRA (Texas State Rifle Association). Don't get the "end of the world, sky is falling" phone calls on Sundays from the TSRA, and personally I like them.

14. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

I started with the NRA back in the late 60's. Was an annual member for 10-12 years, converted to life and am now an Endowment member. Are they perfect? Well...no, neither am I. Are any of you? What about other organizations you might belong to? Are any of them perfect? Those you associate with, your buddies, are they all perfect? People like to jump on board a wagon when it's popular to do so and there are those who like to kick a man when he's down and those who just don't like something and will throw poison darts every opportunity they get. Lots resent being solicited for funds and, some of it is monotonous. We contribute to a couple children's hospitals. I'm worn out from receiving solicitations from them. Contribute once and they think you're their own, private cash cow. We ignore and deposit those solicitations in the circular file but....we don't stop contributing. How does any organization fund itself? It's highly unlikely I'll ever receive any benefit from those Children's hospitals. I have received a benefit from the NRA. If all they ever accomplished was Heller, it was worth every penny.

I mentioned I used to be a member of GOA and CCRKBA...and I think they're connected somehow...which is fine..probably great. Anyway, 40+ years ago I couldn't afford to belong to every pro-2A organization that solicited me so, I picked the biggest dog in the fight and threw my paltry weight behind them, the 800 lb. gorilla in the room, the NRA. Sooo...bash them if it makes you feel better or somehow bigger than those unwashed, ignorant ones who still support them. They'll be ok.

15. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

NRA dropped the ball in NY they backed out of the fight and left me hanging on the safe act.
    That is when I called them and asked why and NEVER got a answer other then "We did what we could"
    BUT THEY DID NOTHING.......
    So I did not renew my membership and never will again.
    If you could find out who gets the money they get and how it is used you may not like what you find out.

jbmid1 likes this.