newb question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by whitemach, Apr 5, 2009.

1. whitemach

whitemach New Member

i have a 1918 original 1911 .45 cal pistol,,the same in my avatar,,,what ammo to buy ?? is it called .45 auto? and best brand to buy? thanks:)

2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

Use hard ball or round nosed ammo. Winchester-Western white box should work well. The barrel will have to be throated before shooting hollow point ammo in your 1911. Look for .45 ACP on the box and all should be well.

3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You want "45 Auto" or "45 ACP". Two different names for the same stuff. 230 grain FMJ, also called 230 grain Hardball, or 230 grain Ball. 230 ball is usually the cheapest 45 around. No need to spend a lot of money. Winchester White Box, UMC Yellow Box, S&B, Magtech or Privi Partisan are all good. There's some GI ammo floating around, from WW2. I'd stay away from it. It's corrosive primed, and there is no need to be shooting corrosive ammo nowadays. Especially since no one is selling it as "cheap surplus", but is selling it as "expensive, collectable".

There are a few other 45 cartridges that are pretty available. So you don't get some of them by mistake:

45 GAP, even though it looks like it should work, won't. It is only usable in certain Glocks.
    45 Colt and 45 Long Colt. Both of these (again, two different names for the same thing) are revolver ammo and won't work in your gun.
    45 Schofield or 45 S&W (once again, two different names for the same thing) is also a revolver cartridge and won't work in your gun.

4. whitemach

whitemach New Member

thanks i went and looked but was not sure so i did not get any yet but will tomorow thanks!!

5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

whitemach, I really don't intend to offend you in any way. I may be totally wrong but if you are having to ask what kind of ammo to shoot in a 1911, then you might need to take a course. If you have never fired a pistol, take a little time to enroll in a safety course of some kind. Don't just run out and buy a box of bullets to shoot through your new found gun. Use caution.

6. whitemach

whitemach New Member

well i have shot a ar15 and a 357 magnum and a m44 rifle but i did not know if i wanted 45 colt or 45auto!:)

7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

whitenmach, you are experienced, I was concerned for yours and others safety, if you did not know.

Enjoy your 1911, I know you will!!