The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to reloading and to this Forum. I'm so new to reloading that I don't even have my reloader yet it's on back order. Can't wait for it to get here.

My first question is are the dies from other companies compitable with each other? I purchased a Lee and haven't been able to find the answer to this question on the yet.

My other question is I plan on reloading for my 30-30 and would like to try out the new leverolution round do you need a differant die to seat the differant type of bullet?

·
Registered
18,138 Posts
Most dies are all threaded 7/8 x 14, and will fit any reloading press. Some of the older (and I mean the 50s and before) equipment used proprietary threads, but it's very unlikely you will come across any of them. Lyman makes a hand-reloader called the "310 Tong Tool", which uses a smaller set of dies. They also used to make a press (I don't know if it is still being made) that used that small set. But all their other stuff uses standard 7/8 x 14.

You won't need a different die, but you may need a different bullet-seater plug. That piece is replaceable in a seating die, and comes in different "nose profiles", for seating round nose or wadcutter or pointed, so you don't mess up the bullet nose. Since 30/30 is normally loaded with a round or flat nosed bullet, and the leverlution is a pointed bullet, it is possible that the standard seating plug will damage it. I don't know, having never loaded those bullets.

If it does cause any nose damage, just order a 308 Winchester seating plug. Since this cartridge is normally loaded with a pointed bullet, the seating plug will have that profile, and any 30 caliber plug will fit into the die body, as long as they are from the same manufacturer (a Lyman plug won't fit into a Lee die, for example).

But I would not bother with ordering a replacement plug until I tried it and found that it DID cause damage.

·
Registered
50 Posts
What kind of press are you getting? Come on, you can't just waltz in here boasting of new toys without sharing. ;)

·
Registered
453 Posts
First, you should read a reloading manual. Hopefully you got a kit. Those always come with a reloading manual.

Dont get daunted by how fat those manuals are, only a 100 or so pages cover the actual process of reloading, the rest is all load data.

Reloading is safe and easy, provided you follow all the instructions from the manual.

I started my reloading adventure for the 30-30 as well, and must say it has evolved into a great hobby for myself.

These are some of the other items you will need to load:

1. Calipers - Used to measure the "OAL" Over All Length of the finished cartridge.
2. Case trimmer. Eventually, all rifle cases will need to be trimmed back to the minimum length. Rifle cases will stretch after multiple firings and resizing.

Other than the dies, you will need smokeless powder and some large rifle primers.

If you could let us know exactly what press you bought, and if its a "Kit", then we can expand on other items you will need.

And at any time you have a question or something doesn't seem right, don't hesitate to jump on the forum and ask. There will be many people that will help you to solve your problem.

Good luck and have fun. It's a great feeling to shoot a cartridge that you loaded. You'll know it once you do that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think he said he bought a Lee press in his first post, and wondered about using non-Lee dies.
Lee makes a lot of different presses. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
21-6575 LEE BREECH LOCK CHALLENGER RELOADING KIT is the kit I bought I have been reading from this forum and others and also you tube to see how others reload. There is so much information out there and people willing to help. It just amazes me that people say they can't learn how to do something.

John I have purchased some of these its and have plans to buy other items once the kit arrives.

Thanks everybody for the help. This is a great site already.

·
Registered
19,182 Posts
straight from lee's page. if their generic seater plug deforms a bullet nose, you can use a 3/32 drill to make it up to 1/4" deeper OR send them a sample bullet and 8$ + shipping and they will CUSTOM make a seater plug for your die set. sounds like a great deal to me. :)

from their page:

Custom Bullet Seating Plug
Posted by Purchasing @ Lee Precision on 18 October 2011 02:16 PM
The Bullet Seater plug that comes with the die set is as close to generic as we can make it. If you find that the bullet seater plug deforms the nose of the bullet you are trying to seat, we can make a custom bullet seater plug to fit your bullet. For this we would need a sample bullet, payment of $8 plus shipping. Current lead time is 4 to 6 weeks.

Many times, you can fix this yourself through the use of a drill press. Secure the seater plug under a 3/32" bit and drill further into it. The distance should never be increased by more than 1/4". If this does not solve the issue, we recommend sending it to us.

A custom bullet seating plug can be ordered online.

Send the sample bullet to our address:

Lee Precision, Inc.
4275 Highway "U"
Hartford, WI 53027

that link can be found by copy / paste this:

http://leeprecision.net/support/ind.../Article/View/42/8/custom-bullet-seating-plug

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.