The Firearms Forum banner

newbie needing H&R identification help

828 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  knight0334 
#1 ·
Hello, I picked this gun up earlier today at a show for pretty cheap. I can't figure out (after about an hour of searching) what model I have. There doesn't seem to be any clear cut data on it.

Caliber: 32 s&w? Black powder maybe?
Serial: g19xxx
Markings: none besides top of barrel and under cylinder

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Serial number means pretty much nothing on pre-1940 H&R guns. It is all the patent dates on top of the barrel which determines the model and variation.

It is a "H&R Automatic Ejecting, 2nd Model, 5th Variation". It was made somewhere between 1897 and 1904. It is a blackpowder only gun, chambered in .32S&W(the short one).

#5 ·
Had it appraised locally, it's worth a little more than I paid for it, but it's a shame I can't shoot it on the cheap. Is it possible to convert this to something modern? (maybe to 22 even?)

EDIT: I'm not too worried about the cost of conversion, or even affecting its' value. I buy guns to shoot them, not collector pieces.

#6 ·
Can you find black powder .22 rimfire?

To convert it you would need to buy matching cylinder and barrel. Probably the hammer too if the firing pin is on the hammer. If the firing pin is in the frame - you're talking even more problems.

BTW - loading blackpowder centerfire cartridges is easier than loading smokeless. You just fill the case to within 1/16" to 1/8" of the mouth, then seat a bullet. You want a little crush of the powder(air in BP cartridges/chambers is bad). You do not need to measure the powder(blackpowder is measured by volume, not by weight like smokeless is). The capacity of the case is a means to properly measure black powder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.