newbie question-cannelure's

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

reload9mm
    (2/1/03 3:11:29 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All newbie question-cannelure's
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey guy's and gal's, new to the site, and I have a question already!! I reload a few different calibers, and most of the bullets have cannelure's on them. Should I always load to the cannelure's, or to the mimium OAL? Thanks!!

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/1/03 9:29:58 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: newbie question-cannelure's
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think we need more info. What calibres are you speaking of?

Real generally speaking; yes on revolver no on pistol.

BIG welcome aboard.

general Smoky

reload9mm
    (2/1/03 4:55:12 pm)
    Thanks for the reply! More info: Curently I reload 9mm, .38 Special, .357 mag., 7mm Mag., 8mm mauser, and .223 for my AR 15. I guess my main question is about the .223. I shoot 55gr. FMJ, and Spire points. Both have cannelure's on them, and when I load to the cannelure, it is always larger than the minimun OAL. Loading the FMJ to the cannelure is 2.215" , with the Spire points is 2.222" The book (Lee modern reloading) says the minimum OAL should be 2.165 using 25.5 grains of H Varget. .057" difference. Doesn't sound like much, but looks like about 3/32". Will that cause a problem with pressure loading them longer than what's in the book? I also crimp the cases...........Thanks!!

MTaylor
    (2/1/03 7:56:05 pm)
    From what you're telling us the minimum OAL is 2.165

You're loading at 2.215 which is, in fact, greater than the minimum.

And, my data shows the maximum to be 2.260

Therefore you are within range...or did I miss something?

armedandsafe
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/1/03 11:11:19 pm)
    Minimum OAL is supposed to keep you in the "feed properly" range. Maximum OAL is supposed to keep you in the "will chamber" range. Anything in between will be alright.

Remember that seating the bullet deeper into the cartridge will increase pressures SLIGHTLY. This is significant only if you are pushing the limits of good sense. Seating out farther will lower pressures and is significant only if you are loading to "barely get out the barrel" reduced loads.

What is significant is loading the bullets to the same depth every time you load that particular recipe. Accuracy starts and finishes with REPEATABILITY. If you, the firearm, the load, the bullet, the wind, the etc. all do the same thing from one shot to the next, you will have one caliber-sized hole down range.

Armed and Safe - not just a theory

reload9mm
    (2/2/03 12:22:15 am)
    Thanks for all the great info!! I thought I was doing it right, but wanted to check and make sure with the pro's. This is a GREAT sight, and I'm sure I'll have many more questions in the future. Thanks again, I'm going to look around for a while...

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/2/03 1:20:55 pm)
    Dang, another one came in while I was snoozing...Welcome aboard reload9mm, good to have you here and by all means look around at our other threads and topics.

I see these folks have been giving you good information OAL bullet seating.

That pesky .223 has been a pain in my caboose too on getting the right bullet seating depth so it will chamber in my son's AR-180 back in Virginia. It has ultra small base chamber and is real finicky to load for.

Gunguy