Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'AR 15 Forum' started by Zigzag2, Feb 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

AZOnecam
    (2/28/02 7:09:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Newbie Questions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OK, please don't laugh me outta here but I got some rookie quiestions for you guys regarding AR15's.

1) What are various types of uppers? I've seen M4, etc. I know the difference between the HBar and flattops, but what else changes between uppers aside from the barrel/foregrip stuff.

2) The way I understand the definition of "assault rifle" it's a removable hi-cap mag and more than 2 of the following naughty thingies (bayo lug, pistol grip, removable flash supressor, folding stock, more?). But folding stocks are not legal on any post-ban AR. So what if it has pistol grip, but the flash supressor is fixed (permanent) and no bayonette lug? You're not over the 2 evil item limit, so why is it still naughty?

3) If you have a Class III tax stamp for a full auto, can you legally modify a post-ban semi to auto? What about 'illegal' accessories?

4) What exactly is a Colt Blue Label?

That's all I have for now! Thanks in advance.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/28/02 7:23:13 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Newbie Questions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OK, please don't laugh me outta here but I got some rookie quiestions for you guys regarding AR15's.

1) What are various types of uppers? I've seen M4, etc. I know the difference between the HBar and flattops, but what else changes between uppers aside from the barrel/foregrip stuff.
    A1
    A2
    A3 Flattop
    M4
    Early models (preban) had no forward asist or raised fence rails around the magazine release or magazine well. All uppers are the same, with the exception of barrel weights.

2) The way I understand the definition of "assault rifle" it's a removable hi-cap mag and more than 2 of the following naughty thingies (bayo lug, pistol grip, removable flash supressor, folding stock, more?). But folding stocks are not legal on any post-ban AR. So what if it has pistol grip, but the flash supressor is fixed (permanent) and no bayonette lug? You're not over the 2 evil item limit, so why is it still naughty?

Accepts detachable magazines #3

3) If you have a Class III tax stamp for a full auto, can you legally modify a post-ban semi to auto? What about 'illegal' accessories?

NOPE!

4) What exactly is a Colt Blue Label?

Colts PC model, a transission rifle made to look in favor of the Governments new 1994 ban coming to the door. Last of the Colt Prebans, some Blue Labels are postban....so always check the serial number to make sure. Regards LTS

No question is stupid, ask and you shall receive... WELCOME!

AZOnecam
    (3/1/02 1:55:49 pm)
    Thanks for the reponse and the welcome!

One more, then. I think I saw on AR15.com that the ban only has 2.5 more years of effect - is this true?

What's the "average" price a guy could expect to pay for a pre-ban Colt or Bushie?

Thanks,
    Jason

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/1/02 2:20:27 pm)
    Yes the ban is up, shortly.....I doubt it will die and it will be voted into law again. It`s not going away, unless something happens (what?). Preban Colt`s and Bushmaster`s vary in price depending on the Model and configuration. Figure over $1,000.00 for run of the mill models and then up to $3,000.00 plus for rare Colt models. Average price, bout $1650.00. Regards LTS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.