The Firearms Forum banner

Nice Bullet Trap for .22 practice

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Texxut 
#1 ·
I come up with a great back stop/bullet trap for shooting Aquila .22 Super Colibri. I cut up a bunch of 2x4 blocks 3 1/2 " long, and placed them on end to form a tight fitting area around 21"X21" with a tight 2x4 frame around them.
When you shoot, the blocks catch the 20gr bullets in the end grain, and when an area gets shot up too much, you dig the blocks out one by one and replace with new ones. This keeps the remaining blocks tight until you remove another one. I placed a sheet of rubber over the target area, to catch any bouncing lead, and a sheet of 3/4" plywood on the back. Simple to use and easy to hang on a wall. I use it every day and I think others will enjoy shooting just about anywhere.

#4 ·
I am going to attach a few pictures. The .22 one I mentioned, my 3/8" steel
for .22 shooting, but the lead hitting the steel is louder than the ammo. Its OK for my RWS .177 pellet gun, cause pellets are hollow and don't have much weight to them. The lower part of the steel trap has 1' of clean sand in bottom to catch the ricochets.
The top one on shelve has my rubber strips for catching .38 and .45 rubber ammo, with no lost ammo.

Attachments

#6 ·
That 55 gallon drum would make a great bullet catch for the big rifle/pistol calibers. It's almost 2' across. Fill it with sand, seal it with plywood, Place it on it's side, and you have a bullet trap for the larger calibers.

#8 · (Edited)
brazer,
That is an awesome set-up you have there and for a while now, I've been looking or thinking along the same lines as per a .22lr bullet trap.
BTW, Welcome to TFF!
If you dont mind, may I make a "copy" from your design?

#9 ·
Anyone is free to copy any of my trap designs. I welcome others to be able to shoot any where, anytime, and the feel the need to relax. If you want to be proficient with your firearms, remember all the famous shooters words, "practice, practice, practice."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.