Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

NICKEL PLATED 22 SUPERSHOT IVER JOHNSON

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CHUCKEYCITY13, Mar 31, 2009.

1. CHUCKEYCITY13

CHUCKEYCITY13 New Member

I bought this pistol from a neighbor I know very little about it.The pistol is nickel plated with gold wash on the trigger,hammer front sight and its marked 22 supershot sealed eight the number on it is L 17608 under the grip and 17608 on the bottom of the trigger guard. Its a pretty pistol is the nickel and gold original to the item any idea on value. Thanks for any help I didn't want to buy it but he is having a rough time like so many other folks in my town

Attached Files:

2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this 22 supershot sealed eight serial number L17608 was manufactured in 1938, when 4,200 of this model was manufactured. it has all the options offered in the catalog at that time, fully adjustable rear sight and finger rest grip adapter. i doubt the nickel finish and gold wash trigger/hammer are original. this type of finish was quite popular during the late 1940's and 1950's and many persons dressed up thier handguns this way. i have seen just about every type of handgun manufactured with this type of finish (nickel/gold) none original. but the only way to be sure about any non-standard finish is a hand on examination paying close attention to markings (incomplete) and corners (rounded). that said here what one with the standard blue finish is worth.

22 SUPERSHOT SEALED EIGHT FIRST MODEL (LARGE FRAME) -----1932-1941
    Features HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION. This revolver also features a cylinder with recessed chambers that fully enclose the cartridge case head. Large frame top break marked on left side of barrel “22 SUPERSHOT SEALED EIGHT”. Finish: blue only; Barrel length 6 inches: Oversize checkered wood grips; Caliber .22 rimfire with 8 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight 24 ounces. Height with out grips 3 7/8 inches; Frame length 5 inches; Overall length 10 ¾ inches. The 1938 catalog gives this model as well as others Model numbers: Model 88 fixed sights, Model 833 adjustable rear sight, Model 834 adjustable rear sight and adjustable finger rest. . Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. First Models will have serial numbers below L26601
    VALUE: 100%=$275 60%=$150

bill