The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a J stevens 12ga dual trigger nickel plated double barrell with what I have been told has Rabbit ears it shows a model #23 and that is all I can make out on it besides the serial number need help please would like to know about how much it is worth and how old it may be please help.:)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Interesting. I can find no model 23 12g from Stevens. Stevens name changed a few times along the way, (J Stevens Arms and Tool Co, J Stevens Arms, Stevens, Savage-Stevens, Savage.) so that can be helpful too, But they did not use serial numbers until th GCA of '68. I do not believe that the J Stevens name was still being used at that time, only Stevens. I will admit to being a little fuzzy on this so please correct what I have messed up. Also, was this from Chicoppee Falls or Westfield? Chicoppee falls closed in approx '60 but was using the J Stevens Arms name. They are very confusing, I have several, and a couple dont make sense either.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I'll guess it's a Model 235 instead of 23. The 235 is an external hammer double barrel made from the 1880s up through 1915.
There is also a #225 that was made after the 235 up until the 1930s. Looks very similar to the 235...I'm not sure what differences exist between the two.

If the "serial number" you're referring to is inside the action...covered up by the barrels when closed...then I don't believe it's a serial number, but rather just a number to match the barrels to the frame.

I doubt the nickel plating is original since most of the Stevens guns were fairly low-end models and they didn't have much for extra frills.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Not sure how far it goes, but theres also usually a number and letter inside an oval on the underside of the frame, just before the hinge. That will be a date mark, the letter represents a year. I had forgotten to include that earlier. I just realized that the date codes started in '49. Wont be any help if its a 235.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts