The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the somewhat repetitive post but none of the others could quite answer my questions. I inherited this revolver from my grandfather, I have no history on it. It's nickel plated with a one piece wood grip, adjustable front site, and no patent numbers on the cylinder (may be worn off). The grip is in fair condition while the rest of the gun is good, aside from the absence of a rear site. The serial number on the front of the grip looks to be an upside down 'R' then 947. It is functional but has intermittent issues with the cylinder rotating and setting for additional shots. I'm looking to date and value it. I have no plans to sell it so dating it is of more importance. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Your 999 Sportsman is from the early 1940's. What looks like an upside down R in the serial number is an 8. The nickle finish is not original to the gun and the grips have been sanded smooth. Its' value is what you could get for it as a shooter.
Best,
Jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your 999 Sportsman is from the early 1940's. What looks like an upside down R in the serial number is an 8. The nickle finish is not original to the gun and the grips have been sanded smooth. Its' value is what you could get for it as a shooter.
Best,
Jeff
Would the model number of '999' be stamped on it?

·
Registered
72 Posts
No, only ID marking would be "SPORTSMAN". You can tell it's a 999 because it's double action.
Best,
Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts