night vision scope

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Tommyireland, Jul 31, 2020 at 2:34 AM.

1. Tommyireland

Tommyireland New Member

Hi folks,i have a question for you all night time shooters out there,
    After close to 40 years of shooting all over Ireland with both rifle and shotguns,and a fair bit of shooting at night time with a lamp and rifle,and in the past few years a led light attached to my scope,
    I have now been looking into getting a night vision scope,there is so many on the web for sale,not looking to get a top of the range night scope but something to start off with,say a budget scope,i have watched youtube and the various night vision scopes that's on the market these days,ranging from 399 dollars to 5,000 dollars,
    the one night vision scope that has caught my eye is a Wraith day and night digital hd vision scope,great reviews and a nice price starting off at 499 dollars,i would be intending to put in on my CZ.17 hmr,,for at the moment we here in Ireland we don't have any big game to shoot,
    [deer,fox,hare and rabbit] we only have in Ireland,deer is licenced to shoot and come like everywhere else a season on them,you have to do a course to get a licence to shoot them,fox is classed as vermin and you can shoot them all season,same as hare [which I rearly shoot,and rabbit for the pot,
    so can I ask you fellow shooters out there,what preference do you have if any on night vision scopes,and your good points and bad,
    and another thing I want to ask if I may,how can I go about getting a night vision scope posted to Ireland,a lot of gun shops don't export their night vision scopes outside the united states,so is there a way around that.
    looking forward to your replies,
    thanks for reading my post,

Tommy

2. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

I have no experience with night vision scopes but have friends that like them and have read numerous amounts of positive reports on the brand ATN. Everyone seems to like them and they run around the same price as the one you mentioned. Give or take a few dollars.

shootbrownelk likes this.

3. Tommyireland

Tommyireland New Member

thanks ms6852,do you know if its a day scope as well as night

shootbrownelk likes this.
  4. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

I don't really know. I do know that the 4K pros are day/night scopes.

Tommyireland likes this.
  5. English Bob

English Bob Active Member

I have an ATN X-Sight II 5-20x I bought as a lark. I can tell you about it.

First, it's on the low end. I paid $600. It doesn't have thermal imaging. Thermal is really neat, but it's expensive. The ATN has a mount for an infrared flashlight that lights up whatever you're shooting at.

Second thing...it's not really a scope. Far as I can tell, it's a smartphone in a scope-shaped case. I don't think there are any real optics in it. I believe it just zooms in on things. On the high end, the image is really bad, like looking through a shower door. Be that as it may, you can still hit things with it. The other day I put 6 rounds in about half an inch at 100 yards.

When I say it's a smartphone, I don't mean it literally. Obviously it doesn't have a phone in it.

It comes set up for 4 AA batteries. I think this is intended to be humor, because there is no way on earth you can use the scope without more power. You have to buy a buttstock bag and a lithium battery. ATN sells these things, but you can buy the same items separately for way less from other companies. I've seen the same type of battery for $18. Once you have the big lithium job, you can forget the AA batteries.

The scope is very heavy. Maybe 4 pounds. I haven't weighed it. This doesn't include the extra battery or bag.

It has a lot of fun features. You can set it to record video when the gun goes off, so you can save short videos of your game dropping in the dirt. It has a compass and some ballistic stuff I haven't learned how to use. It has a neat zeroing feature. You fire a shot, aim at the same place, and move a second set of crosshairs to the place where your bullet landed. Do it two or three times, and you'll be very close.

This is the only night scope I've used. For fiddling around with coyotes and coons, it will do what has to be done. If I were really serious, I'd get an infrared scope.

Gudaki and Kweeksdraw like this.