The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hands tend to get sweaty after about 100 rounds or so and it feels slightly uncomfortable.
But I don't want to reload with bare hands, it gets oily fingerprints on my shiny brass.
What I came up with is to ventilate the gloves, with minimum effort, after all I need to keep the ram going up and down on my press, especially when finished rounds are popping out!
Here are my steps:
1. Put nitrile gloves on (both hands, one for brass and one for bullets).
2. Take one hand and grab the glove material just below the fingers on the other hand and rip it out with one smooth move.
3. Repeat for other hand.
Result: The palm part of the glove is removed, but not the top or the fingers. Even the ring around the wrist is still there. If I pull on the ring when the fingers get feeling loose (and they do until they perspire a little bit) it seats the thumb and fingers back down. My hands feel much cooler while keep plugging away at the press much more than if the gloves were left intact.
Hopefully some will find this useful.
This is my first post (besides introduction)!

·
Registered
7,387 Posts
That's one way to skin a cat. We can get into a long discussion here (we always do), but I just clean tumble my loaded rounds for a few minutes after handling them to remove oily finger prints and any sizer lube before I put them into a cartridge storage box. No finger prints, no lube and just clean, shiny ammo ready for storage or use.

·
Registered
153 Posts
When my reloads are done, I get a clean rag and put about 10 at a time in the rag and spray a fast drying aerosol electronic cleaner on them. Just roll them around a few seconds and they are as shiny as ever. No need to wear gloves, just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
7,898 Posts
I have never noticed any finger prints on any of my brass after reloading. Though I do wet tumble my rifle brass to remove the lube after resizing. Though that is just the way I do it.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Sounds like that'll work. One of the major drawbacks for me was sweating hands in the gloves...

When I was working at a Heavy Equipment Repair facility nitrile gloves were provided, if we wanted them. Maybe I'm just used to working bare handed, but I couldn't wear them for more than a few minutes. There is nothing in all my reloading stuff that will harm me (not even lead) and I need the "feel"/tactility of bare hands. (I retired 10 years ago and it took 5 years for my hands to look clean again:p). And I've never noticed any tarnish from fingerprints on my finished rounds. Maybe because I dry tumble/clean (just clean, not high polished) with a touch of auto wax/polish that leaves a very thin/fine film of wax on the cases...

·
Premium Member
11,154 Posts
Shoot black powder cartridges. The last thing you'll be concerned about is fingerprints on your brass.......:D

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
No gloves here either, the only time I wore them was when I was bluing a rifle. I didn't handle the parts with my bare hands after polishing on my buffer and cleaning them. I wore them while bluing as well. I can't stand wearing gloves of any kind, the exception being Ice fishing.

·
GUNZILLA
5,955 Posts
No gloves worn here too. If I have not gotten lead poisoning now I doubt I will later. Grew up with lead paint on the walls, and grew up drinking straight from the water hose as a kid. Mom would not let us come in to the house if we were running outside and playing as she would mop and sweep floors on a daily basis. Rule was once we went in there was no going out...I stayed out as we had no television and all my fun things like football or baseball were outside.

·
Premium Member
9,305 Posts
I’m much more concerned with how well they shoot as opposed to how pretty they are. I run my spent brass through my tumbler for an hour or two and that’s good enough for me. Then all they get after that is a final wipe with a towel before they go into their box.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Same here . After the final stage and before getting put in what ever container I am storing the rounds in I make sure to wipe any extra bullet lube on them off .

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, I would have thought wearing gloves was a thing, maybe not.
I also didn't mention that I wet tumble with pins and afterwards the brass is squeeky clean.
Dry tumbling sounds awesome for this particular concern, but alas, I have not a dry tumbler.
Wiping the rounds off sounds good too, but I usually run large quantities (a couple hundred to more than a thousand at a time) so any extra processes would definitely add to the run time.
So I'll be sticking with gloves for now, especially since we're pandamically stocked up!
Thanks for all the interesting replies, I think I'm really going to like it here!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Wow when you tumble YOU TUMBLE ! I may wait till I get 60-80 empties then tumble . I got a small range and may shoot 3-4 times a week , sometimes if free everyday if honeydews don't got me busy . I can't sit for more then 45-60 minutes reloading so I spread it out . What kind of press you using .

·
Registered
214 Posts
I’m mixed. Sometimes with, sometimes without. I usually blow a bit of baby powder in the gloves...helps them slip on easily, and keeps my hands dry...mostly. Once this summer I pulled my gloves off to find white mud between my fingers. These days I’m saving my gloves for gun cleaning. I can’t replace them for what I originally bought them, and can’t see paying the current prices for pristine hands. When I’m out I’ll likely just do as the majority on here do.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Isn't there treatment of OCD?
Use very thin photographic cotton gloves.
Now, just WHAT horrible crime would be committed by getting a finger print on your case? Do they judge your case aesthetics at the range? Do they laugh at you if there is a water spot? Do you take the same care when washing your dishes, where things could be really important for your health?

·
Premium Member
4,063 Posts
Sounds like that'll work. One of the major drawbacks for me was sweating hands in the gloves...

When I was working at a Heavy Equipment Repair facility nitrile gloves were provided, if we wanted them. Maybe I'm just used to working bare handed, but I couldn't wear them for more than a few minutes. There is nothing in all my reloading stuff that will harm me (not even lead) and I need the "feel"/tactility of bare hands. (I retired 10 years ago and it took 5 years for my hands to look clean again:p). And I've never noticed any tarnish from fingerprints on my finished rounds. Maybe because I dry tumble/clean (just clean, not high polished) with a touch of auto wax/polish that leaves a very thin/fine film of wax on the cases...
I am the same way. I could never wear those gloves. My hands sweated too and it was like I couldn't feel what I was doing. Zep hand cleaner was my friend. I don't worry about fingerprints on my ammo.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts