The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Little of trail here but I remember story from the ammunition plant in McAlister Oklahoma . The people who work there get tested for lead every so often and if the levels is high you get off with pay till your lead level drops . Well they realized around deer season every year lots more people had to take off cause of high lead .. Hunters working there would suck on fish weights and then go get tested to get off with pay for deer hunting !!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
When you wet tumble and don't use some sort of additive/wax, etc. your squeeky clean brass (bare nekkid metal) will tarnish quit easily, even handling with clean, washed for 20 seconds hands...

Besides sweating and feel, getting gloves to fit my old mechanic's hands is tough (my wife once called my fingers, ring size 14, sausages). I'd tear about half of the ones I tried to put on...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Besides sweating and feel, getting gloves to fit my old mechanic's hands is tough (my wife once called my fingers, ring size 14, sausages). I'd tear about half of the ones I tried to put on...:rolleyes:
I had a box of Medium Nitrile gloves from Sam's Club (Member's Mark). They fit my hand well, but I have shorter fingers and I'd have a floppy tip...which is never a good thing. Anyway, I found Small gloves at Harbor Freight and bought several boxes. These babies are too tight, and I rip quite a few putting them on. They also make my hands sweat profusely. That's what prompted me to try powder...and they go on with ease, and cut down a bit on sweating. Nonetheless, as many point out, it's rather unnecessary as far as the brass is concerned. My issue is I've always been rather fastidious about getting my hands dirty (white collar guy). Not to the OCD stage, but I also know I get fewer brass splinters when I use gloves...and those little suckers hurt.

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
May I suggest using finger cots. No glove body to worry with, and no fingerprints.

Larry
Super awesome! I just tried ripping the back off the gloves today (after the fingers perspire a little to hold them in place) and the remaining finger pieces stayed on just fine. Ran 340 rds through! (5.56, it's all I load). Your suggestion made me think about it, so looking at my hands I was like - take the other piece off and I'll have finger cots (kind of). Amazing how innovation happens when several minds are put together! (would have done more, but lunch time was over!)

·
Premium Member
11,157 Posts
Necessity is the mother of invention.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
No gloves here either, the only time I wore them was when I was bluing a rifle. I didn't handle the parts with my bare hands after polishing on my buffer and cleaning them. I wore them while bluing as well. I can't stand wearing gloves of any kind, the exception being Ice fishing.
Wait....Wait...Wait... Hold the phone..Back the truck up....You're suppose to wear gloves while ice fishing? Look there, you learn something new everyday.

·
Premium Member
4,063 Posts
Reloaded brass is supposed to be shiny? Whycome nobody ever told me that? :eek:
Yes and you should wear gloves like the experts do when handling ancient artifacts like the when restoring or repairing old documents like the Constitution.

Reactions: sparkyv

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I gave up on worrying about my brass being shiny, go so long as it's clean.
The only reason I clean my brass is to protect my sizing dies.
The only part that needs to be clean in order to be reloaded properly is the primer pocket. Dirty brass will reload but if the primer is not seated properly it may not fire.

·
Premium Member
11,157 Posts
Some of my BPC cases are solid black but, that's etching from the BP. They're "clean enough." In a weird sort of way I kinda like 'em black. It always elicits a response of some kind from the unknowing who feel as if brass should look like it just came off the line....:D.

·
TFF Chaplain
18,849 Posts
Nice shiny brass is easier for me to find in the grass.

I had to wear gloves at work--crude oil is carcinogenic. I also had to wear them when working in the hospital lab. So it was always a relief to get rid of them whenever I could.

Reactions: BigT and sharps4590

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I really don't care how shiny my brass is, I wear nitrile gloves because I want to reduce my lead exposure and want to keep my hands cleaner. Not real worried about either one, though. It's not on my list of "must do" things. My reloading area is air conditioned and heated so my hands don't sweat excessively. The gloves are cheap at Harbor Freight.

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
For the first few decades I did not even own a tumbler. I only used nickel plated brass, and washed it with dish soap in the kitchen sink.
Now my brass is always Shiny. But I don't wear gloves. I wipe them down with a cloth before I put them in the box.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Little of trail here but I remember story from the ammunition plant in McAlister Oklahoma . The people who work there get tested for lead every so often and if the levels is high you get off with pay till your lead level drops . Well they realized around deer season every year lots more people had to take off cause of high lead .. Hunters working there would suck on fish weights and then go get tested to get off with pay for deer hunting !!
Wow. Sucking on lead so as to get off to go deer hunting. Now that is some real deer hunting devotees.

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
I don't worry much. With all the toxic chemicals I've felt with, lead will have to get in line to kill me.
I spent most of my childhood casting round balls with a ladle at the fireplace for a .69 cal. Flintlock. Indoors, no mask, no gloves. I didn't even have eye protection.
It was a different world back then.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Recently I loaded 450 308 Win. with Sierra 175 gr Match King, factory moly coated and wore nitrile gloves because of the molybdenum disulfide is slightly more toxic then lead, and it’s messy. It’ll wash off one hands but if the moly get on clothing it just doesn’t wash out, so I’ll ware all black like Jonny Cash and sing along to “Don’t Bring Your Gun’s To Town”.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts