Nitro Series shotguns

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Big ugly, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I have recently aquired two shotguns. One is a Nitro Hunter and the other is a Nitro Leader. The Nitro Hunter is in 12guage and the Nitro Leader is in 16guage. I was told that these were made for Sears and Roebuck but I am not sure. I have seen these things at turkey shoots and I know they shoot really well so I got the pair cheap. I was wonder ing if any you fellers here know anything about them. As I said i got em cheap so I aint worried about the the value Cuz I plan to keep em.

2. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker Member

I found listings for an additional six shotguns with ome form of the name NITRO.
    They are with the makers name and sellers name where known:
    New York Nitro Hammerless-- Crescent Fire Arms C0--unknown
    Nitro Bird--Crescent Fire Arms Co--Richards & Conover Hardware Co Kansas City,MO
    Nitro King--Crescent Fire Arms Co, Meridian Fire Arms Co, Stevens Arms & Tool Co--Sears Roebuck & Co Chicago,IL
    Nitro Marvel--Stevens Arms & Tool Co--unknown
    Nitro Proof--Crescent Fire Arms Co, Stevens Arms & Tool Co--unknown
    Nitro Special--Crescent Fire Arms Co, Stevens Arms & Took Co--unknown
    I have a listing for a Nitro Hunter. It was made by Crescent Fire Arms Co and sold by Belknap Hardware Co of St. Louis. I did not have a listing for a Nitro Leader but I do no. I'll blame Crescent Fire Arms Co for making it.

3. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Thnx I thought they were of stevens genre until I looked em over. That was when I posted the question. The Nitro Leader is on the same stup as the Hunter but with the Leader stamped in place. I went out and put a paper plate out and paced 60ft and let go with a load of #9 from the hunter and that thing put the wadding 1/4 below the center mark and the pattern was tight. Real tight. I have a BPS with a precision barrel that has been back bored and sleaved and has been my turkey gun for years and that old break down sigle damn near shot equal to the BPS and it is stock as far as I can tell. I'll have to go get some shell for the Leader to give it a try tomorrow.Not bad for $75 for the pair and they are in real good condition.