The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright...
I came across a 1973 New Model Single Six with a 9.5 inch barrel. It's in pretty rough shape, however, functions flawlessly. Just looks like crap. I want to restore, reblue, new grips, etc. Only question is if I decided to get a shorter barrel (to make it a "funner" shooter), where can I get one? Numrich has ZERO barrels. Can't find any on *******. I'd love to get a 5.5 or 6.5 inch barrel for it. What do you guys think? Where would you suggest hunting for one now? I live close to Fort Worth. Do you think someone at the gun show may have one, or is that just a shot in the dark.

I'm not really worried about decreasing the value or originality. And it's not like you can't just put the old barrel back on it...

Thanks alot!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
If it was me, I'd send it back to Ruger. They'll do it right. They'll do it cheaper than you could probably buy the parts anywhere else. And the reblue will be the right color.

I wouldn't send an Old Model back, 'cause they would change the innards. But a New Model has already got the transfer bar. No harm no foul.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks alot guys! I used Bing to search... I don't like Google either, but I guess Bing isn't quite as good. I would send it back to Ruger, but I'm quite sure they'll charge far more than I want to pay. I plan to cold blue it myself and only change out the barrel, ejector housing, and the grips. Shouldn't cost much more than $100-$150 total. And, it'll be fun to do. :D

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Thanks alot guys! I used Bing to search... I don't like Google either, but I guess Bing isn't quite as good. I would send it back to Ruger, but I'm quite sure they'll charge far more than I want to pay. I plan to cold blue it myself and only change out the barrel, ejector housing, and the grips. Shouldn't cost much more than $100-$150 total. And, it'll be fun to do. :D
I agree except the cold blue.

Get it prepared for bluing and find someone to hot blue it for you would be the better way to go. I have a local guy that hot blues guns that I get ready for $30. Well worth it.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
Ask 'em, before you decided "it'll cost too much". I've sent three guns back to Ruger for repair. They fixed 'em - free.

Used to was, Ruger made absolutely NO guarantee. No warranty of any kind. They just fixed broken Rugers.

Don't know if that's still the policy, since Bill died, but sure don't cost nothing to ask.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. I'll call ruger first. After that, I'll check into getting a hot blue job done. I'll post some pics once it's done. Probably be a few months.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
If you're not worried about collector status, why not just cut and re-crown the barrel where you want it. The NM SS front sight is held on by a single screw. A simple drill & tap job. The entire job should easy for a Pro gunsmith. Not too difficult for a novice. But by the time you buy the needed tools ( mainly to re-crown) it would probably be just a cheap to have it done. And know it was done right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's not a bad idea, but I'll probably just stick with buying a separate barrel. It wouldn't be bad to have a second one available, and no more than it would still probably be less than having someone cut the one I have. It's only $45 for a good used one. Gonna reblue it anyway.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I've owned several NMSS's. And by far my favorite barrel length is the 5.5" IMO the biggest advantage is comfort in holster carry. I just didn't like the additional length at my side. And IMO the difference in accuracy was nearly if not non-existent.
Note that I fired my guns almost exclusively with .22LR. And found all of them to be very accurate with it. Supposedly w/a barrel bored for the slightly larger diameter .22Mag, they should do even better with that round. I just never cared much about shooting the .22MAG. through mine. .22LR is much cheaper!

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Ask 'em, before you decided "it'll cost too much". I've sent three guns back to Ruger for repair. They fixed 'em - free.

Used to was, Ruger made absolutely NO guarantee. No warranty of any kind. They just fixed broken Rugers.

Don't know if that's still the policy, since Bill died, but sure don't cost nothing to ask.
Ditto there.

·
Premium Member
19,860 Posts
I have one with the 9.5 barrel. I would shoot it before changing the barrel. Mine is a real tack driver.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts