The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people are claiming, with no evidence, that manufacturers, not retailers, are jacking up ammo prices. Thought I'd find out. I emailed Speer and Remington.

Speer's response: "Stephen, we have set pricing and our website is at MSRP."

The website's prices are nowhere near what we're seeing from retailers.

Remington: "Everything we make is sold to the wholesalers. The wholesalers then sell to the retailers. I do not know for a fact, but I do not think the wholesalers raised their prices.

The retailers set their own prices."

Kind of looks like retailers really are sticking it to us, and the people who accuse manufacturers are gossips and slanderers.

I suggest other people contact manufacturers to see what they're doing.

·
Garandaholic
9,379 Posts
Some people are claiming, with no evidence, that manufacturers, not retailers, are jacking up ammo prices. Thought I'd find out. I emailed Speer and Remington.

Speer's response: "Stephen, we have set pricing and our website is at MSRP."

The website's prices are nowhere near what we're seeing from retailers.

Remington: "Everything we make is sold to the wholesalers. The wholesalers then sell to the retailers. I do not know for a fact, but I do not think the wholesalers raised their prices.

The retailers set their own prices."

Kind of looks like retailers really are sticking it to us, and the people who accuse manufacturers are gossips and slanderers.

I suggest other people contact manufacturers to see what they're doing.
Have you been to Remington's estore?
They have virtually nothing in stock.
It's easy to say "nope we haven't raised prices" when you don't have anything for sale.
I haven't raised the price of the Brooklyn Bridge either.
Demand exceeds supply...by a wide margin. To expect retailers to sell for some historical price is to ignore reality.
Lot of threads about this. I get I'm on the free market side, which is unpopular.
The very fact that all the posts are from all sorts of retailers tells you it's the...wait for it...new normal price.
How far back in time do we lock the price?

Hurricane blows into town and Home Depot triples the price on plywood in the surrounding area? That's gouging and that's wrong and a crime.

Everybody all over decides they want the same thing you do? Market forces.

Flame away, throw me on ignore. If you own something, sell it for whatever you want.

·
Super Moderator
25,662 Posts
Have you been to Remington's estore?
They have virtually nothing in stock.
It's easy to say "nope we haven't raised prices" when you don't have anything for sale.
I haven't raised the price of the Brooklyn Bridge either.
Demand exceeds supply...by a wide margin. To expect retailers to sell for some historical price is to ignore reality.
Lot of threads about this. I get I'm on the free market side, which is unpopular.
The very fact that all the posts are from all sorts of retailers tells you it's the...wait for it...new normal price.
I always ask, how far back in time to we lock the price?

Hurricane blows into town and Home Depot triples the price on plywood in the surrounding area? That's gouging and that's wrong and a crime.
Everybody all over decides they want the same thing you do? Market forces.

Flame away, throw me on ignore. If you own something, sell it for whatever you want.
You appear to be talking about retailers, he was talking about what manufacturers charge wholesalers.

·
Garandaholic
9,379 Posts
You appear to be talking about retailers, he was talking about what manufacturers charge wholesalers.
I was responding to this quote "Stephen, we have set pricing and our website is at MSRP."
I checked some of the manufacturer's who do sell direct websites. It is true, they list their ammo at what appears to be a similar price to a year ago.....and in virtually all cases it's "out of stock". So it's not really for sale at that price.
As to what wholesalers are charging middlemen/retailers, I'd love to see someone who is buying from a manufacturer post what they're getting charged.
IHMO, it doesn't really matter. Demand exceeds supply. The price goes up.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
C'mon, Man, no one has clean hands. I understand if suppliers can not get raw goods,e.g., brass, copper, and lead, and are forced to pay a higher fee. It is hard for me to understand how the world wide ammo/primer/case makers are shut down. Militaries still need ammo along with every police department, where are the supplies coming from?
This is a political statement, IMHO, not a supply problem. I can assure after the election the supplies will be available again. I pray that Trump is reelected so that we have four more years of rights (Gun) and the supplies will again be abundant. If Biden gets in then the supply will be further reduced if not eliminated, what better way to control guns?

You can bet that the governments of the world will have what they need/want.

Yes, I have no proof, but what is the alter point?

Next question, How many ammo and component suppliers have shut down? How many that worked in these industries are laid off, why has no one from these industries raised the point that they want to go to work? My opinion is that they are working around the clock.

Larry

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whenever I talk about this, people go off on a tangent and assume I'm against the free market. That's their imagination.

Part of the free market is exposing profiteers and taking your business elsewhere. I have loaded up on ammo since the shortage began, and I haven't overpaid once.

People should be emailing greedy retailers and reminding them that the free market works both ways.

I'll also note that forum people tend to support businesses over consumers. That's the opposite of my mindset. I'm on your side, not Speer's or Cheaperthandirt's. It's bizarre to see members of Internet forums defend the folks who stick it to them.

·
Garandaholic
9,379 Posts
Whenever I talk about this, people go off on a tangent and assume I'm against the free market. That's their imagination.

Part of the free market is exposing profiteers and taking your business elsewhere. I have loaded up on ammo since the shortage began, and I haven't overpaid once.

People should be emailing greedy retailers and reminding them that the free market works both ways.

I'll also note that forum people tend to support businesses over consumers. That's the opposite of my mindset. I'm on your side, not Speer's or Cheaperthandirt's. It's bizarre to see members of Internet forums defend the folks who stick it to them.
Have you ever thought that a lot of us run/own businesses?
I personally own a business and I run one as well. At the very same time, I am obviously a consumer.
It's a fine line...what to charge. Charging too much, makes a tidy profit, but jeopardizes future business. Charging too little jeopardizes the whole business.
The biggest fear is government intervention. In this case price controls.
Not that you advocated them, but when enough "everybody's screwing us" gets out there. Some Marxist loves to make a name for themselves by "fixing it" for all the poor abused consumers.
Invariably that leads to bad things for the consumer in the long run.

·
Super Moderator
25,662 Posts
I watched a show the other day about Sellier&Bellot, they are cranking out 3,000,000 rounds a day and still can't keep up with the supply to government, law enforcement and civilian needs.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you ever thought that a lot of us run/own businesses?
I personally own a business and I run one as well. At the very same time, I am obviously a consumer.
It's a fine line...what to charge. Charging too much, makes a fine profit, but jeopardizes future business. Charging too little jeopardizes the whole business.
The biggest fear is government intervention. In this case price controls.
Not that you advocated them, but when enough "everybody's screwing us" gets out there. Some Marxist loves to make a name for themselves by "fixing it" for all the poor abused consumers.
Invariably that leads to bad things for the consumer in the long run.
Not really. Competition is what makes the free market good for consumers. Remember the crappy cars the Big Three used to make? They were total garbage, and management and the unions were grossly overpaid. The Japanese came in with quality cars, and within a couple of decades...surprise, surprise...the Big Three turned out to be able to make quality cars, too.

Market pressures stimulate manufacturers to do better. Discouragement of competition is for communists.

On a related note, today I found 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 in my workshop. Had no idea I had it. Very nice.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Are retailers price gouging on Ammo? Oh, most definitely. Like CCHolderingMaine said there is a fine line between charging a little more and charging to much. But right now we are seeing a whole lot of price gouging, even on ammo there is plenty available like 40 S&W, 38 special , 12 gauge plain lead bird shot. I recently seen federal 12ga 2 3/4"#6 lead birdshot for $18 a box, and 25lb bag of Eagle shot #9 lead shot for $79. That my friends is price gouging plain and simple and the democrats are loving it.

·
Premium Member
11,168 Posts
Demofascists would be the first to do it, price gouge, that is.

I suggest rather than waste your time writing anyone, when supplies and ammo are available stock up and let the market sort through the retailers. This isn't anything new, it's been going on for decades and it will happen again. Then the market will take care of those who overcharge and gouge. Wonder how cheaper Than Dirt is really doing after they put the screws to their customers? Caveat Emptor

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
Doesn’t anyone remember this same exact situation 12 years ago right before Obama was elected? And again at the next two presidential elections? Add a vicious virus, crazy liberal democrats, new gun control legislation across the nation, riots in the streets, and you get gun/ammo shortages. But exactly why?

Hoarding!!! People panic and buy and buy and buy, thinking these items may not ever be available again. It is supply and demand. When people buy at inflated prices, it enables even higher pricing. The trick to individually avoiding the high pricing is to wait out the shortages. After everything settles down, the supply will exceed the demand due to saturation of the market, and the prices will fall. If people would just buy what they need now and wait until it all settles out to stock up then we would not see shortages and high pricing. But it is too late for that as the panic once started is hard to stop without external forces like the election being over.

On the sellers side, they can sell all they can get today. But the demand will dwindle because there will be saturation of the market (everyone has more guns/ammo than the need and stop buying). Again, we saw this especially after Obama’s elections. Retailer were hurting with lots of stock and no one buying. That’s when to stock up…not now.

Another problem now is all the new gun owners who want ammo for their new guns. They have no idea of ammo pricing and pay the high prices because they NEED ammo or the gun is no better than a hammer for self defense.

History is just repeating itself! Anyone with a knowledge of the past would have seen this coming and stocked up well before it hit. The virus and rioting just added a bit more fear.

LDBennett

·
Premium Member
19,188 Posts
This time the ammo shortage was to fast to react. My son and I went to two gun stores and the line was around the building. They were all sold out of guns and ammo in less than a week. Even target loads for shotguns.

Walmart is just like the last rush. Some people know when the ammo is delivered and are in the store waiting for it. Since they have yet to put any limits on it they buy it all. I was in Walmart where the guy in front of me bought 11 bricks of 550 rounds of Federal 22lr. I thanked him for not leaving any for me or anyone else. Even the counter person said something. That's 6050 rounds in one trip. Almost $300 in ammo.

My son in law did the same thing with shotgun shells. He bought all they had. Now he is out and can't find any. I told him he wasn't the only one buying all they had.

In this area whenever there is a shortage of anything the greedy people buy it all. Just like the toilet paper rush a few months ago. I have a good stash of ammo so I am ok.

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
I guess it is just the nature of people to hoard when supplies dwindle. I bought my store of guns. ammo, and reloading supplies years ago mid presidential election cycles (for the ammo and reloading supplies) at normal pricing. I have safes full of guns bought over the last 30+ years and don't need any more. I guess I'm good! I do feel bad for the new gun owners who can not buy ammo to protect themselves. Who knows what will happen if the Liberals loose big for the election.

LDBennett

·
Premium Member
11,168 Posts
Because they won't let anyone in but the patient, this morning while waiting for Joyce I ran across the highway to Academy just for something to do. I got there about 5 minutes before they opened and noticed there was about a dozen people waiting. They opened, the folks went in and I followed a bit later. There was a lady at the door I assumed taking temperatures or something. No, she asked if I was there for ammo. I said no then someone followed me in and when said yes she directed them to a line to "pick out what you need". I guess they got some in last night. In the department there was precious little on the shelves. Some 17hMR, 270 but, quite a few shotgun shells. I have no idea what they were charging....and as with Don and others, I really don't care.

Reactions: pdkfishing

·
GUNZILLA
5,961 Posts
I've been called a hoarder because of the amount of ammo I have but in reality the only time I do not buy is during these times when demand exceeds supply. O'bama years only put a small dent on my inventory and this time won't be any different. Preparation is always key. It's like living on the coast, you know there is a strong possibility of your home being damaged by a hurricane and if you have not prepared yourself for the after mass like having alternative power, food, and water than you can not blame anyone but yourself, me, I can reload what I want and shoot what I want as I have prepared for years, and I won't be pressed to pay exorbitant prices.

Reactions: sharps4590

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
My local gun shop has not raised their prices. It's the same as it was but he can't get ammo all the time. I don't know if he is buying at the same price but he said he won't raised his price just because of shortages. He does limit the amount you can buy per day.

·
Garandaholic
9,379 Posts
Call it what you want. Far as I'm concerned they can charge whatever they want. It's their business and no law say's I have to shop. There!
Ironic that I'm the one called out for pointing out gouging lol. I've made a whole lot of unpopular posts defending people's right to charge what they want.
I was trying to give an example of actual gouging. Because it is a real legal term.
I say you can ask whatever you want for your goods and services.
The market will sort it out.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts