The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
This shortage is different from the last one. In 2008, we elected a far-left pansy, so people loaded up until they felt like Obama wasn't really going to be able to do much to us. This time, we had a totally irrational coronavirus panic, and it fed into a BLMtifa panic, which segued into a Demented Joe panic.

Things started to ease up between the coronavirus and BLMtifa panics, and then people reacted to the sight of racist terrorists tearing up our cities, so the supply tightened up again.

Am I a hoarder? Maybe. I've bought maybe 15,000 rounds of ammo this year. When things started going sideways, I decided to start working on an ammunition savings account, to get me through years of deprivation. I don't think I'm in the same class as people who bought pallets of ammo, but maybe I am. Anyway, I can go a couple of years without any real problems.

I need more ammo than most people. Many hunters can get by with a hundred cartridges a year. I like shooting to improve my skills, and that takes a lot more lead.

Reactions: Gudaki and ral357

·
Premium Member
11,182 Posts
Between powder, lead and primers and swaging supplies...I don't know how many years it would take me to use it all. Probably more than I have left....and I hope that's at least 20!!

Reactions: Gudaki and howlnmad

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
I see lots on stocking up ahead of time and that's great. IF you can afford to do so. But for many people living paycheck to pay check, you don't have an extra $10 to 20 to through around. Many do a stock up at tax time, that's when they get a new (used) gun, or if they find a good deal a new ... well, new gun. Or maybe a reloading press and a couple Lee dies, cause lets face facts Lyman and RCBS are just freaking expensive. However for many the Asian chest cold hit and ammo and guns disappeared before those waiting on their tax returns even had a chance.

·
Premium Member
11,182 Posts
For many, indeed most, there's a time element involved. We didn't go out and stock up all at once. Good grief, who could unless you were a millionaire and especially at today's prices? It's a life time's accumulation. A little here, a little there, a deal or two at past gun shows, friends or family who decided to stop loading, others who knew we loaded and told someone we might be interested in buying their accumulation, or part of it and, estate sales. I have 2 or maybe 3 pieces of loading equipment I bought new. The sizer/luber I use most is from the 1940's or maybe 30's. My old Belding & Mull powder measure is from the 30's and still more accurate than any RCBS, Lyman and definitely Lee I've ever used. Some of the powders I have and use haven't been available in years and carry price tags of $8.00 to $12.00. The last lead I paid for was 20 cents a pound. I understand if one buys a hard alloy today, it's $2.00 a lb. I finally used up the last of my Winchester LP primers in the red and yellow boxes, priced at 68 or 78 cents a hundred, and those haven't been made since the 70's I think. I think I have a few cans of black powder that still say Gerhardt-Owen....now known as GOEX and one that says DuPont...and I don't remember when DuPont got out of the BP making business. According to your profile I'd already been loading for 10 years when you were born. That isn't some kind of a....an....a pointed comment, just an observation that time is on the side of a lot of guys...not mine so much anymore.

Reactions: Gudaki

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
As I've stated multiple times-There are at least 3-5 million people that have NEVER owned(or cared about)firearms that bought in the past 4 months---they have NO idea what ammo used to cost....I talked to one-he thought 30$ for 20 200grBO was a good deal......It will be a year at least to stabilize.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I long for the days when ammo prices and availability were not tied to politics. I remember how I did not think twice about shooting 200 rounds of .45acp at an IDPA match. A couple boxes of 9mm for plinking, no problem...... I don't do that anymore! It's not that I don't have the ammo, it's more about not knowing what the replacement cost and availability will be if my supply gets low.

·
Registered
183 Posts
A check on a popular auction site has over 3,400 auctions for 9mm trending at around $1.00 a round.
I was never a fan of 9mm preferring .45apc. Two days ago I started reloading, I have two .50 cal cans of empty brass one commercial, one military. I am estimating 3,000 cases in each.
I have 4,000-5,000 heads I bought about 30 years ago, as primers, some 1000 piece boxes marked $13.99 Got 500 loaded so far.
You never how much ammo you have until you move.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I don't know who to trust regarding ammo price and availability. Since I'm not a cop, it's not unlawful for a supplier to lie to me or to lie to any consumer about manipulating the market.

·
Registered
183 Posts
There are those who will take advantage of a crises.
Look at the price of hand sanitizer. It was $1.00 a bottle last year now $4.00- who knows how high it will go, same for masks.
We need to buy low, maybe sell high, does that make us a price gouger?
I bought AR-15 mags for $7.00 if I sell them for $15 .00 am I a gouger?
I am not forcing any one to buy them.
Not that I will sell any. (right now)

·
Garandaholic
9,379 Posts
I long for the days when ammo prices and availability were not tied to politics. .
Blame the politicians.
They were never connected because we never had one side that wanted to ban them.

Reactions: sharps4590

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
For many, indeed most, there's a time element involved. We didn't go out and stock up all at once. Good grief, who could unless you were a millionaire and especially at today's prices? It's a life time's accumulation. A little here, a little there, a deal or two at past gun shows, friends or family who decided to stop loading, others who knew we loaded and told someone we might be interested in buying their accumulation, or part of it and, estate sales. I have 2 or maybe 3 pieces of loading equipment I bought new. The sizer/luber I use most is from the 1940's or maybe 30's. My old Belding & Mull powder measure is from the 30's and still more accurate than any RCBS, Lyman and definitely Lee I've ever used. Some of the powders I have and use haven't been available in years and carry price tags of $8.00 to $12.00. The last lead I paid for was 20 cents a pound. I understand if one buys a hard alloy today, it's $2.00 a lb. I finally used up the last of my Winchester LP primers in the red and yellow boxes, priced at 68 or 78 cents a hundred, and those haven't been made since the 70's I think. I think I have a few cans of black powder that still say Gerhardt-Owen....now known as GOEX and one that says DuPont...and I don't remember when DuPont got out of the BP making business. According to your profile I'd already been loading for 10 years when you were born. That isn't some kind of a....an....a pointed comment, just an observation that time is on the side of a lot of guys...not mine so much anymore.
I get this and started gathering things slowly over the years garage sales and flea markets thrift stores, i have several boxes of Alcan Bluestreak fiber and cork wads, Alcan overshot cards and nitrowads, I picked up for free at a local church owned thrift shot they refuse to sell anything gun related, with the exception of hunting clothing. i recently( summer 2019) picked up a MEC Versamec press for $15 at a garage sale. I have several vintage roll crimpers and such. To be honest my favorite press to reload on is my Lee load all junior. I have a Mec 600 jr specifically set up for .410 which i won on auction for $125 came with tons of extras including dies for 16, 20 and 12 gauge. but i had the money back then before i was forced to retire due to health.

·
Registered
942 Posts
The last handgun I bought was a Glock in 40 S&W, didn't even think about ammo. I ordered a few boxes from Bass Pro which took 3 months to get. A little later went to Scheels and found that they had it cheaper, under $15.00 for fifty when bought by the hundred. I buy a couple boxes each time I go in and have over 1000 rounds now all at reasonable price. We just had a Home of Economy open up in town and their ammo is only a little higher then Scheels.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts