The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
I'm going to be a bit contrarian here. When I took my first CHL class, my instructor told our class that we were responsible for every bullet that left our weapon. Even if we were legally justified in firing our weapon, we could still be held criminally and civilly liable for injuring an innocent bystander. By all accounts Breonna Taylor fits the description of "innocent bystander". No drugs were found in her apartment, she had no weapon on her, she had broken no laws. Why should the police get special treatment in this case? Firing blindly into an apartment and killing an innocent bystander is at least criminally negligent homicide. If your home was being broken into by a criminal with a weapon, and you fired missed and killed your neighbor across the street, you would be charged and probably convicted. Breonna was shot 8 times, police fired more than 20 rounds, striking 2 bedroom, a hallway, bathroom, living room, kitchen and dining room. I guarantee you that if anyone other than a police officer had done that, they would be in prison. Being a police officer does not give you authority to ignore the law.

Regardless of the outcome of the grand jury, the rioting is unjustified. We are a nation of laws, violence, even if it is a just cause, is not the proper way to make changes. Whether or not I personally agree with the grand jury's decision, everyone should abide by it. It's another case of innocent bystanders being hurt because of someone else's actions. The rioters need to be locked up.
When you are at the door and shoots are coming your way from the felons inside THEN you can start being particular where your rounds go!! At that time YOUR LIFE gets moved to the top of the priority list!

Reactions: Alaska444

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Yes police should be held accountable for wrong doings and I wished no one had been shot or killed . Breonna Taylor was involved with the drug dealings it might of been in a small way but she new what was going on and helped in it ., Why there was not a warrant for her also I don't know should of been . As far as the no knock warrant I believe they didn't just bust in that they decided to knock and when no response they then busted in . I understand how no knocks can seem wrong but what are they supposed to do knock , "say police " then hope the people don't flush the drugs or other evidence or get there guns ready before they open the door . Maybe if the police kept to the 1st plan and didn't knock nobody would of been hurt or killed . There is a plus to no knocks .There is both sides to this on no knocks . Police have a very hard job , even more know days . They should be held to a higher standard and when the make mistakes be held responsible but in a life and death situation like this the only policeman that I feel screwed up bad was the one fired for shooting threw a window of another home the 2 cops in the door were trying to keep from being killed .
Huh?

Her name WAS on the warrant and it was HER apartment being searched, LAWFULLY.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
When you are at the door and shoots are coming your way from the felons inside THEN you can start being particular where your rounds go!! At that time YOUR LIFE gets moved to the top of the priority list!
Yes. Adrenalin causes auditory exclusion, (you dont hear correctly), tunnel vision and monkey brain and time distortion.

I have experience it twice. The first time it blinded me so I never saw the dog again after It charged us and I charged the dog with a 2x4.

The second time, the car that hit me appeared only as a shadow at the moment of impact.

10 shots fired by two cops in the direct line of fire is actually A restrained and reasonably response.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Sadly the main stream media has ignored the FACTS in this case.

If people knew the facts, they would not be rioting. Sorry, "Peacefully protesting"
(At least not in her name, they would find something else to be upset about)
I firmly disagree with your second paragraph while I totally agree with the first. They would do it anyway. This is just another flimsy excuse for rioting and anarchy. Has absolutely zero to do with "justice" and everything to do with the Marxist's march to defeat America.

So just when are we going to name the enemy? We call them "progressives", "Liberals", "Left of center", "Peaceful Protesters" (while they loot, burn. intimidate, riot and murder). The same thing has happened many times all over the world. Reasonable people wag their fingers as if addressing impish children - and then wake up wearing the chains of tyranny.

It is time for us to awaken and take these scum on directly. Call them out for what they are, violent Anarchists/domestic enemies of the United States and all we stand for. Expel those who take up weapons against us, imprison those who do us harm and violence - then expel them also. Even those (maybe especially those) who were born here. Enough is enough. Send them all to places where they can bathe in anarchy and Marxism. Wouldn't be very long and these people would beg to be taken back to our shores.

Problem is that no one else would put up with them. That is their problem - not ours.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts

If people knew the facts, they would not be rioting. Sorry, "Peacefully protesting"
They dont care about the facts.

The rapist who resisted arrest and reached for a knofe?

Facts dont matter to them.

·
Garandaholic
9,378 Posts

Unfortunately, your premise assumes this has anything to do with Taylor.
Sure, maybe .1% are out there thinking they're doing good and if they really studied the facts, they wouldn't be.
The vast majority of this is there for the sake of creating anarchy.
Soros has crashed entire country's economies/societies before. This would be his biggest accomplishment.
He has no loyalties to America, much the opposite.
He will profit greatly from America's demise.
The useful idiots...the rich and powerful....hollywood, sports etc. are far from powerful when compared to the likes of Soros. America goes down, they go down. They are the worst of the worst as they're in the best position to fight back yet they work to hasten their own demise. All while having more to lose than the vast majority. The true definition of useful idiot.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
My point still stands. The police are just as responsible for every round that leaves their gun as any civilian. Kenneth Walker was not wounded, Breonna Taylor is dead. Once the shooting started, those cops were willing to kill anyone in the apartment. Even if she had been trying to shield Walker with her body (which has not been established), the police should not have killed Breonna. A civilian in a similar situation would have been charged and convicted. The police are not above the law. I know this is not a popular perspective on this forum, but right is right, and though I usually support the blue, I am not going to cheerleader them when they are wrong.

I applaud the Louisville city council for banning "no knock warrants", I have always believed them to be unconstitutional. I support Rand Paul's Justice for Breonna Taylor act, which will end "no knock warrants" at the Federal level, and state and local agencies that receive funds from the Justice Dept. No knock warrants are unreasonable. If police are concerned about losing evidence or armed resistance during a search, they can always surround the location, evacuate bystanders, and wait them out. Whether or not the police announced themselves in this case is in dispute.

Having friends of ill repute is not justification for getting killed by police, either.

Please don't get me wrong, the street violence is wrong. The Justice department and the FBI (if they aren't already part of the plan) should investigate who is funding the insurrection. If they are found, they should be arrested, charged and jailed, along with whoever participates in the rioting.
Civilians do not implement search warrants. If shot at, police return of fire is authorized AND reasonable use of force.

You missed my point again.

“Good“ kids have ended ip dead and in jail just being in yhe wrong car or place.

Show me your friends and I will show you your future is a true and profound statement.

Breonna put herself in tge sights of the police by her association, longterm, with the drug dealer.

She got herself killed by stepping into a hallway with a man holding a gun. Yes, her own actions contributed to her death.

The two officers in the direct line of fire did NOTHING wrong.
I think it is a mistake to Bsn all no-knock warrants.

Glad I am not a cop these days.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
One last chirp before I bail out: The call for an end to "No Knock Warrants". The Officers here DID "Knock" (announce themselves) in this particular instance - but calling to an end of all No-Knock Warrants is a foolish call. It is a knee-jerk reaction aimed at hindering Law Enforcement's ability to do their job.

When Police enter a premise where children or other victims are being kept as hostages or the sex slave trade, or where narcotics are being manufactured or stored, or where there is a violent Felon in hiding (and even a longer list of other scenarios) - an end to the Police being able to conduct a raid without first submitting notification to that premise that a raid is about to be conducted is ludicrous. In my humble opinion you have to be blindly anti-law enforcement to support such a call.:twocents: The end result will only be more dead Police Officers and more Felons free to roam the streets.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Alaska my mistake I understood there was a warrant to enter her place but hadn't heard she had a arrest warrant for her to . Like I had said I didn't understand why they were just after her boyfriend . Cause there was lots of info on here doing stuff in their drug dealings .Thanks for setting me strait on that . One more thing that keeps coming up they were not in bed sleeping when police came in they were in the hallway when police came in . Her boyfriend is on record saying that to . Just shows knowledge is key in getting your facts strait .

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Alaska my mistake I understood there was a warrant to enter her place but hadn't heard she had a arrest warrant for her to . Like I had said I didn't understand why they were just after her boyfriend . Cause there was lots of info on here doing stuff in their drug dealings .Thanks for setting me strait on that . One more thing that keeps coming up they were not in bed sleeping when police came in they were in the hallway when police came in . Her boyfriend is on record saying that to . Just shows knowledge is key in getting your facts strait .
Search warrant, not an arrest warrant. And they did not know her current boyfriend was there. Also, the warrant was because of her ex-boyfriend visits and picking up packages and then going directly to a known drug house. That was observed twice by surveillance teams.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yes I new about the 2 boyfriend thing . I also know the one living with her didn't have a criminal history as far as I know but it is a little hard to believe he didn't know what was going on . I guess this falls back to my first question why was she not to be arrested and just a search warrant cause seemed like there was proof she was involved ? Even if her live in boyfriend new about the drug stuff and it couldn't be proven I feel it was justice he was released and charges dropped cause he is able to say not hearing the police knock and he did fire only one shot . I blame Breonna Taylor on her getting killed cause of her dealings with her former boyfriend . I just get tired of people acting like this was a race thing and it not .

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Yes I new about the 2 boyfriend thing . I also know the one living with her didn't have a criminal history as far as I know but it is a little hard to believe he didn't know what was going on . I guess this falls back to my first question why was she not to be arrested and just a search warrant cause seemed like there was proof she was involved ? Even if her live in boyfriend new about the drug stuff and it couldn't be proven I feel it was justice he was released and charges dropped cause he is able to say not hearing the police knock and he did fire only one shot . I blame Breonna Taylor on her getting killed cause of her dealings with her former boyfriend . I just get tired of people acting like this was a race thing and it not .
Paradoxically, the police were looking for evidence in her apartment because of her ex-boyfriend and the current boyfriend, with a concealed carry permit, thought the ex-boyfriend was breaking in and that is why, allegedly, he shot at the police.

So, yes, because of her association with a known drug dealer, she was killed due to the police suspicion and the boyfriend's suspicion all about the same ex-boyfriend.

"Show me your friends and I will show you your future" is a very true saying.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
According to Kenneth Walker, he and Breonna were in bed when they heard loud knocking at the door at 12:40 AM. Like many of you would do, he armed himself and he and Breonna entered the hallway, together. She accompanied him, since it was her apartment. When they entered the hallway, the door comes off it's hinges. Walker fires once. He did not hear the police announce themselves. What would you have done? If it was your wife or daughter killed, would you consider this an acceptable outcome? I hear many of you say, it's her just deserts for having had a relationship with someone who was involved in drugs. Their relationship had ended 2 years prior, and the Louisville postal inspector acknowledged that there were "no suspicious packages delivered to Breonna Taylor's address", a direct refutation of what the police claimed. What happened to Breonna Taylor could very well happen to anyone, especially anyone who keeps a firearm for self defense.

To those who said "it's ludicrous to expect the police to announce themselves in a hostage rescue operation". This would easily fall under the "exigent circumstances" exemption for search warrants. No knock search warrants are unreasonable, and therefore unconstitutional. And yes, I understand that whether or not the police announced themselves, in this particular case, is a moot point.

I believe I have made my point, I'm through with this thread.

·
Garandaholic
9,378 Posts
According to Kenneth Walker, he and Breonna were in bed when they heard loud knocking at the door at 12:40 AM. Like many of you would do, he armed himself and he and Breonna entered the hallway, together. She accompanied him, since it was her apartment. When they entered the hallway, the door comes off it's hinges. Walker fires once. He did not hear the police announce themselves. What would you have done? If it was your wife or daughter killed, would you consider this an acceptable outcome? I hear many of you say, it's her just deserts for having had a relationship with someone who was involved in drugs. Their relationship had ended 2 years prior, and the Louisville postal inspector acknowledged that there were "no suspicious packages delivered to Breonna Taylor's address", a direct refutation of what the police claimed. What happened to Breonna Taylor could very well happen to anyone, especially anyone who keeps a firearm for self defense.

To those who said "it's ludicrous to expect the police to announce themselves in a hostage rescue operation". This would easily fall under the "exigent circumstances" exemption for search warrants. No knock search warrants are unreasonable, and therefore unconstitutional. And yes, I understand that whether or not the police announced themselves, in this particular case, is a moot point.

Your point is well made.
I will just add this...
That's Walker's side of the story, but let's take it as gospel.
Leaving all history out of it. This is just 2 people in bed and it goes down exactly like that.
Someone knocks and then kicks your door down, do you shoot without knowing whom you're shooting at?
If you do, that's a serious crime and you've just put everybody around you in life threatening jeopardy.

Reactions: Alaska444

·
Registered
5,751 Posts

I have read with interest several police involved shootings entering peoples homes. In this case, the police had a lawful warrant and the right address. Other cases, the police went to the wrong address.

What I have seen over and over again is when the home owner is killed by the police, it is MOST often, in my anecdotal review of a few. cases, when the homeowner was in the hallway or room right near the door the police are entering.

There is NO cover in most hallways.

As a CCW carrier for about 10 years, you have to consider all things. Entering a hallway where someone comes in takes away many of your advantages as a person defending their own space.

So, in this politically charged case where the next door neighbor heard them announce themselves but Breonna and her boyfriend did not, it makes you wonder about the veracity of the current boyfriend's statements, obviously modified by a lawyer.

So it is NOT a moot case at all on announcing. They did so enough times to get permission from a supervisor to enter aggressively by breaking down the door. Yes, the supervisor approved that entry.

My wife and I already know, we stay in our bedroom UNLESS the kids are in the two bedrooms right across from us, then I have no choice but to defend the upper hallway and stair case which I recognize is a poor area tactically for me, but that is what I would have to do to protect the kids. Even then, I have thought instead of standing as a target in the middle of the hallway, I would peer out from my doorway. When the kids are here, our door is unlocked and slightly open all night in case one of the kids needs us for anything.

Now, no-knock search warrants came about dealing with dangerous criminals who often are armed better than the police. That is just a reality of our cursed earth that some folks are truly evil and the police are tasked with taking them into custody.

I agree that the level of evidence for a no-knock search warrant should be quite high, but to dismiss them completely I believe is an undue burden on police who are already at high risk of death in their jobs already.

Your point is well made.
I will just add this...
That's Walker's side of the story, but let's take it as gospel.
Leaving all history out of it. This is just 2 people in bed and it goes down exactly like that.
Someone knocks and then kicks your door down, do you shoot without knowing whom you're shooting at?
If you do, that's a serious crime and you've just put everybody around you in life threatening jeopardy.
Good point. Here in Idaho, our castle doctrine assumes self defense for anyone that enters your house. But in court, you MUST be able to show ability, jeopardy and imminence. We have no duty to retreat in Idaho as some other states do.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yes it could of happened to any of us . Someone in the night bust my door down I would for sure be on guard . That was why charges were dropped against him and justly so should have been seeing as no evidence against him . Did he know about the drug business that's unknown but she did know there was proof on that . She may not of been dating the other ex boyfriend but she was in business with him and that was why the police had a warrant for her place that night . Over all glad her live in boyfriend was freed and charges dropped cause of no evidence .

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
Here is a commentary on the law in AZ where they claim it is rarely used or needed.

https://www.azfamily.com/news/no-knock-warrants-are-legal-in-arizona-but-rare/article_8cecbd90-fe11-11ea-8d6f-6bd6d2aa8b40.html

Here is a commentary on exigent circumstances and the SCOTUS case in the example used was showing that there are times with exigent circumstances where NO WARRANT at all is needed.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/exigent_circumstances

Yes it could of happened to any of us . Someone in the night bust my door down I would for sure be on guard . That was why charges were dropped against him and justly so should have been seeing as no evidence against him . Did he know about the drug business that's unknown but she did know there was proof on that . She may not of been dating the other ex boyfriend but she was in business with him and that was why the police had a warrant for her place that night . Over all glad her live in boyfriend was freed and charges dropped cause of no evidence .
He DID KNOW. How do I know that? His statement was he was worried her ex-boyfriend who is a drug dealer is why he shot when the police entered.

Actually, there is no direct evidence that she was involved in the drug deals of the ex-boyfriend. That was why the police executed the search warrant. They found no evidence against her in this raid.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts