The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into maybe getting a single shot rifle for hunting. I noticed Henry and CVA only have an extractor. Since CVA doesn’t offer open sights, that leaves them out anyway.

But why not an ejector on a hunting rifle ? Shotguns have them and I can reload my single shot 410 pretty quick.

It really doesn’t make much sense to me and might be a deal breaker.

·
Premium Member
17,853 Posts
I know my winchester 1885 only has a extractor, but it's not regarded as a hunting rifle. Pretty much only a target rifle due to it's weight. So only having a extractor comes in handy to easily grab the empty casing instead of looking for it ejected into a snow bank. Haven't looked into a Henry or CVA are you sure they are set up for hunting?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know my winchester 1885 only has a extractor, but it's not regarded as a hunting rifle. Pretty much only a target rifle due to it's weight. So only having a extractor comes in handy to easily grab the empty casing instead of looking for it ejected into a snow bank. Haven't looked into a Henry or CVA are you sure they are set up for hunting?
Yes, both are shown as hunting rifles on their sites.
I can see just having a extractor on a target rifle.
If i needed a fast follow up shot, i would probably just drop the brass on the ground.

·
Premium Member
12,230 Posts
joe, do any original 1885's have ejectors? I don't have a clue about the clones either. The Ruger #1 has an ejector and I've always kept mine turned off. Well, not off but the thingy turned where the case doesn't fly off into never, never land.

I have several single shots of various values, American, British, German and Austrian and none of them have ejectors. None of my double rifles have ejectors either. Though it is...and should be....a matter of taste and preference, I think most break action/kiplauf, falling block, rolling block or swinging block rifles do not have ejectors until a fella gets into bespoke rifles. Several British Rook Rifles had ejectors and several didn't but, there hasn't been a dedicated, center fire Rook Rifle made since the 30's. There has to be exceptions, like maybe the old T/C Aristocrats and I think they made another....pdkfishing would know about them. John Taylor and several other late 19th, early 20th century hunters were dead set against ejectors on single and double rifles.

Ejectors cost more....can't be much but, they do and, I guess as a rifle is considered a more precision instrument than a shotgun the makers forego ejectors. I've hunted with singles and doubles since the mid-80's at least and never felt handicapped by not having my rifles equipped with ejectors. Come to think of it, most big game I've killed in my life has been with a single or double and if one counts muzzleloaders. Can't remember needing a second shot but one time, with my Sharps, and I had plenty of time. The point of a single shot is to not need a fast follow up shot.

·
Super Moderator
39,831 Posts
How about the Handi Rifles by H&R and New England Firearms. I just looked and it seems that the NEF in 45/70 ejects and the H&R in 7mm-08 extracts.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Near as I can tell, NEF started changing over from ejectors to extractors about 2005 and were pretty much done by about 2007. A fair number of old ejectors have been converted to extractor.

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
yes i do have a 1885 and IF i use a bit of viger on the lever the spent case is ejected. the same with all three of my rolling blocks. not hard enough to damage anything, remember you are not petting a kitten. elevate the barrel will help too. ONE shot is all you should ever need. a follow up stop it from kicking shot should not be hurried. i have killed two deer that did not drop where they were. both were 30 to 40 feet away, and there was NO time for a second shot.
both were dead when found.
it is my opinion that every person learning to shoot should only have a single shot rifle and shoot .22's

rick

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone! I really never gave this much thought until I started looking at the single shot rifles.

Since I don’t plan on hunting grizzlys, the follow up shot might not matter as much.

Reactions: joe45c

·
Premium Member
12,230 Posts
What other cartridges are those two available in?

The old 45-70 is a whale of a lot of fun, super effective hunting round and there's as much info out there for it as the 30-06. Cast bullets, jacketed bullets, they all work great in the old war horse. Anything from reduced, Unique mouse fart loads to "Oh my goodness, what did I unleash" loads. Smokeless and black powder, one works about as good as the other in it. It's just a good, old, fun, effective, versatile cartridge.

·
Premium Member
17,853 Posts
yes i do have a 1885 and IF i use a bit of viger on the lever the spent case is ejected.
I think you are right about that, rick. A few times i think i have pushed down extra hard on the lever and i think the case ejected. Can't remember for sure, but i think you are right. Just never do it cause i don't like picking the cases up off the ground if i don't have to.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What other cartridges are those two available in?

The old 45-70 is a whale of a lot of fun, super effective hunting round and there's as much info out there for it as the 30-06. Cast bullets, jacketed bullets, they all work great in the old war horse. Anything from reduced, Unique mouse fart loads to "Oh my goodness, what did I unleash" loads. Smokeless and black powder, one works about as good as the other in it. It's just a good, old, fun, effective, versatile cartridge.
This is what Henry offers, 223, 243, 308, 44mag/44spl, 45-70, 30-30, 357mag/38spl,350 legend win.,450 bushmaster..
They retail around $450. They all weigh around 7pounds.

The CVA Hunter model comes in .35 Whelen .44 Magnum and .45-70, .243..

·
Premium Member
12,230 Posts
Of all of those I'd take the 45-70 first. Then it would be a toss up between the Whelen or the 30-30.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
My vote would be for a rimmed cartridge. IMHO top break rifles don't handle rimless cases real well. +1 with Sharps as to the 45-70. Great old cartridge. Have had good luck on whitetails and hogs with a 405 grain cast bullet at trapdoor velocities. Never owned a Henry or CVA Hunter, but would rather have a Henry. Walnut stocks sure are purdy. 😊 I've heard that the Henrys have a heavy trigger, but that it is easily fixed. My two cents.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
joe, do any original 1885's have ejectors? I don't have a clue about the clones either. The Ruger #1 has an ejector and I've always kept mine turned off. Well, not off but the thingy turned where the case doesn't fly off into never, never land.

I have several single shots of various values, American, British, German and Austrian and none of them have ejectors. None of my double rifles have ejectors either. Though it is...and should be....a matter of taste and preference, I think most break action/kiplauf, falling block, rolling block or swinging block rifles do not have ejectors until a fella gets into bespoke rifles. Several British Rook Rifles had ejectors and several didn't but, there hasn't been a dedicated, center fire Rook Rifle made since the 30's. There has to be exceptions, like maybe the old T/C Aristocrats and I think they made another....pdkfishing would know about them. John Taylor and several other late 19th, early 20th century hunters were dead set against ejectors on single and double rifles.

Ejectors cost more....can't be much but, they do and, I guess as a rifle is considered a more precision instrument than a shotgun the makers forego ejectors. I've hunted with singles and doubles since the mid-80's at least and never felt handicapped by not having my rifles equipped with ejectors. Come to think of it, most big game I've killed in my life has been with a single or double and if one counts muzzleloaders. Can't remember needing a second shot but one time, with my Sharps, and I had plenty of time. The point of a single shot is to not need a fast follow up shot.
I had two Ruger #1. The ejected cartridge case was always stopped by hitting the safety. Never had a cartridge case hit the ground and made grabbing the the spent cartridge easy.

By the way. I didn’t know that the ejector could be disabled in #1.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,230 Posts
PRR, I might have spoken out of school. As you mentioned it I'll have to get mine out and see what the Sam Hill I'm thinking of.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts