No, I didn't get lost and Yes, My Dad is almost stable

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by greeker375, May 7, 2009.

1. greeker375

greeker375 New Member

As some of you may remember about March 9 my Dad, 93 yrs old, had hip replacement surgery as hed had taken a fall a few days earlier. He spent 3 weeks in the hospital as he went from serious to critical to stable. Between my sister and self we covered about 19 hrs a day by his side.

When he was finally discharged, we put him in a surgical rehab facility where he supposedly was given(supposedly) physical theraphy daily. This place was a medicare mill. If you wanted a cup of water I swear they'd bill you for it, but, that's another story.

When it came time to get him moved back to assisted living the lady at the rehab place said he'd be out in 2-3 days. It took 9 days! No more inept people or organization have I ever encountered. Also, it is frightening what our seniors face should they need to go to one of these places. Just hope if you do that you will have friends or family to visit at odd hours to insure you're being taken care of.

Well, that's where I've been the past 8-9 weeks, if you care. There has been no work to speak of, which has been good so I could be with dad almost daily. Hope to be back chatting regularly soon.

Greeker

2. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

Of course we care! Welcome back!!!!!

mike
    gn

3. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Greeker, I've been there. It's difficult, exhausting and frustrating to be a medical advocate, but your dad is lucky to have you and your sister to take care of things. Now that my dad is gone, I keep hearing how great his quality of life was over the past couple of years, and that made all the frustration worthwhile. You're in my thoughts.

4. artabr

artabr New Member

I hear you Greeker, I just returned from visiting my pop in the nursing home.
    I sure wish I could do something different about caring for him. :eek: :(

Best wishes and prayers for you and your pop. ;) :)

Art

5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Its good you have been able to spend time with him, I am sure it mean a lot to you both. Heres hoping he improves soon.

6. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Can appreciate what you went thru, Dad tripped over his dog in March and broke his hip, all use kids immediately came down (Ohio, Texas, Montana, Oregon) for two weeks to make sure there was no monkey shines.

7. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Mike I was about to call you now I can head to Ga. and get lost in the woods ;)

8. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Good to hear your dad is better. (almost stable)

And YES, we care.

9. fmacsin1

fmacsin1 New Member

Greeker, I, too, have been there, done that with both of my folks and I was the only one to take care of them. One was in a nursing home facility, the other was severely brain injured in a car accident. Believe me when I say, I DO understand and can empathize with you. The only piece of advice is: do what you know is right for your family. No one advocates for your parent better than you and your family. If you can, go into the home at odd hours, make sure you look at their "chart" which should be at the nurses' station and try to have someone attend any/all meetings that they particularly have dealing with your family member. I can't stress enough the fact that if you keep on top of the situation, your family member will come out ok. I was extremely fortunate that both places where my parents resided were great places to live (both brand new), and had great staffs; but I did all of the above and they were well cared for. Good luck!