No license needed to carry concealed handgun in Texas under proposed law

Discussion in 'Firearms News, Reviews, and Featured Articles' started by carver, Apr 29, 2017.

1. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Breaking new ground in a concerted effort to expand gun rights, a Texas House committee approved legislation Tuesday that would allow handguns to be carried — concealed or in a holster — without a state-issued license.

Approval came on a 6-2 party-line vote even though all six Republicans voting in favor of House Bill 1911 did so despite reservations — one over concerns that unlicensed carry could hinder police officers and five because they believed the bill didn’t go far enough to remove restrictions on gun owners.

Not law yet, but possibly coming soon!

Alaska444, howlnmad, dbcooper and 5 others like this.
  2. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

We once had a concealed carry permit law here in Alaska (still do, sort of), but the legislature and governor decided it was pointless so they scrubbed the requirement to have one in order to carry concealed. Open carry was never a problem. The cc permit remains on the books for the convenience of Alaska residents traveling to states that require permits and honor out-of-state issues. Kinda funny because when I first arrived here Alaska recognized my then still valid NY cc permit, but NY doesn't recognize Alaska's. No big deal, I'm not going back to NY - ever.

flboots, Alaska444, ral357 and 4 others like this.

3. Conman

Conman Well-Known Member

That is the way I feel about The People's DemonKratic ReputliK of KaliforniaStan.....

carver and nmckenzie like this.
  4. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

Breaking new ground?
    Whats taking the Lone Star state so long, we've had that in Kansas for almost 2 years.

Alaska444 and carver like this.
  5. carver

Concealed weapons bans were passed in Kentucky and Louisiana in 1813. (In those days open carry of weapons for self-defense was considered acceptable; concealed carry was denounced as the practice of criminals.) By 1859, Indiana, Tennessee, Virginia, Alabama, and Ohio had followed suit.[14] By the end of the nineteenth century, similar laws were passed in places such as Texas, Florida, and Oklahoma, which protected some gun rights in their state constitutions.[15] Before the mid 1900s, most U.S. states had passed concealed carry laws rather than banning weapons completely.[16] Until the late 1990s, many Southern states were either "No-Issue" or "Restrictive May-Issue". Since then, these states have largely enacted "Shall-Issue" licensing laws, with numerous states legalizing "Unrestricted concealed carry".

The carrying of any hand gun was banned in Texas right after the War of Aggression. We didn't start to get our rights back until 1996.

6. TigerLeo

TigerLeo Well-Known Member

Man here in Missouri were golden.

carver likes this.
  7. carver

The laws have changed. MO hasn't always had the laws it does now, in regards to concealed carry. It was once illegal in MO, just like it was in most all states.

dbcooper and crystalphoto like this.
  8. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Moderator Supporting Member

carver likes this.
  9. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member Supporting Member

we have a thread on this over in RKBA.

https://www.thefirearmsforum.com/threads/texas-constitutional-carry.171477/#post-1570521

The time is running out on HB1911 to get out of Calendars and onto the docket for a vote
    Our friends at Lone Star Gun Rights have been fighting for a real CC bill, HB375 , but Rep Phil King managed to kill it in committee.

HB1911 ties your rights to carry to a long list of restrictions I listed in the other thread

carver likes this.
  10. carver

I looked for another thread on this subject, but didn't find anything in my search parameters. I did finally find yours, as it came up under "New Posts". Sorry about that!

dbcooper likes this.
  11. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think Kweeksdraw started the thread. I have been adding info to it on the progress or lack of

carver likes this.
  12. carver

Glad you are keeping up with it, and posting on where it's at in the Capital.

dbcooper likes this.
  13. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

Go go go Texas!
    Get into the club! That water's fine.
    I think there's eight of us now?
    42 to go....

carver likes this.
  14. lonewolf172

lonewolf172 New Member

GO TEXAS. Trump needs to pass a National Gun Carry law so that a person can carry in any state. That would slow down the nut jobs.

carver likes this.
  15. rawright54

rawright54 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It's working for Arizona. Letting people carry without government permission hasn't turned any of us into homicidal maniacs yet. Go Texas!

dbcooper, Broot and carver like this.