The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the new budget/entry level center fire bolt action... Think they learned from the 770? They certainly have enough advertisement on it, from the R on the bolt handle, Remington, and another R on the recoil pad.

·
Premium Member
9,865 Posts
I made the mistake of buying a 710 a few years ago. It is in the safe.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
That's bev=cause the 710 and the 770 are pieces of S***.. Time will tell if the 783 will follow suit. It already uses 2 front 700 bases.. Which sucks, because you hafta buy 2 sets of rem 700 bases to mount a scope, and they aren't making one piece rails for it yet.. I wish theyd just drop the budget line up and bring back the 700 ADL. At least then folks are buying an honest to god Remington 700, even of it is in a cheap Chinese plastic stock.

I feel the same way about the Savage Axis and the Ruger American too. They are all in some way proprietary, which makes them hard to customize, and will doom them to be nothing better than a beater hunting rifles. Plenty of used milsurps with solid wood stocks floating around for that purpose.

Reactions: jwdurf

·
Registered
Couple wall hangers
9,646 Posts
That's bev=cause the 710 and the 770 are pieces of S***.. Time will tell if the 783 will follow suit. It already uses 2 front 700 bases.. Which sucks, because you hafta buy 2 sets of rem 700 bases to mount a scope, and they aren't making one piece rails for it yet.. I wish theyd just drop the budget line up and bring back the 700 ADL. At least then folks are buying an honest to god Remington 700, even of it is in a cheap Chinese plastic stock.

I feel the same way about the Savage Axis and the Ruger American too. They are all in some way proprietary, which makes them hard to customize, and will doom them to be nothing better than a beater hunting rifles. Plenty of used milsurps with solid wood stocks floating around for that purpose.
Huh? The 770 I have came with a 4" section of rail.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Huh? The 770 I have came with a 4" section of rail.
Josh is referring to the 783's drill&tap pattern for the scope bases. It uses two 700 front bases. Until the mount makers start packaging a set specific to the 783 you'll need two 700 sets to scope out a 783.

I do look forward to checking out how well they copied the Savage barrel nut set up though.
For some reason, I just can't get excited about the Accutrigger or any of it's clones (everyone has copied it already...maybe Remington has a version that I'll like).

I still wish they'd bring back the 788, but like Josh I'd be just as happy with the ADL or Sportsman78 trim level 700 action as the "bargain" rifle instead of all these ugly new designs.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Josh is referring to the 783's drill&tap pattern for the scope bases. It uses two 700 front bases. Until the mount makers start packaging a set specific to the 783 you'll need two 700 sets to scope out a 783.

I do look forward to checking out how well they copied the Savage barrel nut set up though.
For some reason, I just can't get excited about the Accutrigger or any of it's clones (everyone has copied it already...maybe Remington has a version that I'll like).

I still wish they'd bring back the 788, but like Josh I'd be just as happy with the ADL or Sportsman78 trim level 700 action as the "bargain" rifle instead of all these ugly new designs.
They're too accurate!;) No money to be made on a less expensive gun...But I wish they would too!!!:thumbsup:

G

·
They are all in some way proprietary, which makes them hard to customize, and will doom them to be nothing better than a beater hunting rifles.
These are entry level hunting rifles. They are not meant to be customized they are meant to be shot with the barrel that is on them in the stocks they come in.

They are for people who are new to hunting or new to shooting. A budget option to a $800 hunting rifle. Or for people who can't afford to spend $800 on a hunting rifle.

I personally think they are great (Except for that 770) they are getting more people out hunting and shooting. How can you have issues with that?

So you can't swap the barrel so you can't change the stocks (Well you could if you made one for it) so what if the tirgger is not as crisp and clean as a target rifle.

That is not the intended function of these rifles. Plus if it does boil down to armed conflict does it matter if Americans are armed with $800 Remington 700's or $400 Remington 783, Savage Axis, Ruger Americans? The more guns we can put in the hands of like minded people the better chance we have if and when the SHTF....

Just my two sense.

That and I can't afford to put a $800 rifle in the hands of my son to start deer hunting. I can how ever put a $400 gun in his hands to start hunting.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
That and I can't afford to put a $800 rifle in the hands of my son to start deer hunting. I can how ever put a $400 gun in his hands to start hunting.
That's the point JLA was trying to make. The 700 ADL had a cheapo stock and internal magazine. It was the $400 rifle Remington made. But you could buy a conversion kit for ~$100 to allow it to take the removable box magazines, and you could put it into a BDL stock.

But it didn't have a bunch of weird proprietary parts. You could put 700 stuff on it, so you could get your $400 rifle now and upgrade it to the $800 one if/when you wanted.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Remington is doing it again.Another POS rifle I Vented my feelings for the 710 and 770 last feb 13 in a post. Dont want to go there again. Its to bad realy I have 2 700 rifles that are top notch rifles I heard about the 783 a while back and thought this might be ok. Then I got the real info Looks like another try at the 770 to me what a joke!!!!!!!!!! Well thats my 2cents.

·
TFFWPP President
13,899 Posts
I wish theyd just drop the budget line up and bring back the 700 ADL. QUOTE]

:bow::dancingdots::ya:

mine was made in 1963 and shoots just as good as any $$$$$$ rifle

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Walmart and Academy still get special runs of the ADL and they both sell them for around 350 out the door. And they are 10X the rifle the 710, 770, or the 783 will ever be, simply because the ability to go full custom is there, with a whole aftermarket full of precision parts to fit to them. And if that's not for you.. cpttango.. Then leave it be and your boy can hunt with a 350 dollar rifle..

That is exactly my point.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
A bacon wrapped turn is just a wanton waste of a perfectly good piece of bacon..

·
TFFWPP President
13,899 Posts
I mis-typed it earlier. mine is from 1966 and is so beautiful I don't think I could bring myself to change anything. granted if I did, I could put on a cheap stock and not worry so much about range rash or tree scrapes but still...

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
You shouldn't worry about range rash or tree scrapes on an expensive stock either. Its gonna happen and does nothing tot he performance of the rifle. You should see some of the beat up pieces of crap the guys at VX are shooting 1000 yds with. Youd think by the looks of them they wouldn't group 4 inches at 100 yds. But most of these guys' rigs are $3000+ dollar set ups with milspec rattle can camo jobs they did themselves, and they all are sub MOA rifles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have owned my Rem783 in 30-06 Springfield for over a year now, I haven't heard too much about it online and its probably due to little complaints (we all know people are quicker to write a review on something thats terrible versus something thats good and decent) and many are quick to judge stating its another 710 or 770 and that is certainly not true, in my opinion Remington took some of the better ideas from other manufacturers and applied it to this rifle, for a hunting rifle its excellent. The action is smooth and solid, the bolt is truly a nice beefy piece that was machined 100x better than the 770's joke of a bolt, and has perfect functionality and doesn't have the same sloppy and sticky issues that the 770 is known for. The bolt is a little hard to close down in some peoples opinions and in my opinion thats machining done right, you need it to be tight on close for an accurate rifle and thats what this thing does, closes solid and stays tight, like all things, they need worked in. Now what about this new crazy trigger? In my opinion its amazing for a $350-400 rifle. Its called the Crossfire and its definitely based off the accu trigger, no hiding that LOL, they did it right and did i mention its also adjustable? The barrel is solid, with a 1:10 twist it can handle nearly all bullet weights for large game. Mine shoots factory 168 grain bonded SP's the best. Good news here, it has a barrel nut which brings tolerances into a world of precision and overall consistency, unlike the 710 & 770 with their press fit design, we all know how crappy and inconsistent the head spacing is on a pressed fit barrel and how inconsistent it makes a firearm in the field. Having a barrel nut setup, this allows you to swap barrels if need be thus pulling this firearm away from the realm of "throw away" rifles where the 710 & 770 reside. This is a hunting rifle, its has a 22" hunting barrel, it gets hot if you slam 10 rounds through her real fast, not a match gun but a budget gun that puts out impressive accuracy. This rifle is the most accurate hunting rifle I've ever shot. The stock is synthetic, its really so-so nothing insane but decently solid for a budget rifle and a major step up from the 770's flimsy awkward stock. Its not a show gun lets be honest here and I wouldn't expect it to be. Manufacturers like Boyds have aftermarket stocks for these now. Yes it needs 2 rem700 front sights which they could have just set it up the same as the 700, but i think they are trying to put this rifle in its own league. Eventually the big company's will make sets just for these bad boys. The box magazine is like something from a premium rifle with an all metal construction and durable as hell along with great functionality all while blending nicely into the stock. Another great thing is for those that are recoil sensitive, the thing comes with a awesome recoil pad making it feel more like I'm shooting a .257 or a 7mm-08. I could rack rounds through it all day with no shoulder pain. I see a highly customizable future for this rifle.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
For whatever it's worth I'd like to see the Sportsman 78 brought back. Precision Shooting had a piece about them several years back. Reports from several rifle builders said that when Remington actions were chosen for a bench rest build, the 78 almost always need less machining/re-working to bring it to spec. These were preferred to the models 700 and 40 actions.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
IMO anything Remington come out with these days is nothing but cheap junk. They should, as other's here have said just put a cheap plastic stock on a 700 ADL. You can find BDL stocks or custom stocks for them at about any Gun Show. BDL bottom metal and removable magazine kits are available on the internet. The only thing that sucks on a 700 is that Trigger/Safety they put in them. I have one 700. It has a Timney trigger/safety.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts