The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Apparently the Pyrodex snd Triple seven brands will continue its operation. I don’t shoot black powder and I guess maybe Pyrodex BP substitutes mite have a larger volume of sales then Goex and with Triple Seven is Goex is redundant. I’m sure the smoke pole shooters here will chime in.

·
Premium Member
20,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can't buy it around here. I am stuck with Pyrodex. I was going to try and get some when I am down in TN next month.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
You can't buy it around here. I am stuck with Pyrodex. I was going to try and get some when I am down in TN next month.
Same in SC... 25 years ago, I think there were only two stores in the state for buying real black powder. Now, I know at least one of those places doesn't exist anymore. I think there may be a place in Hendersonville, NC just across the state line. I don't shoot any of it. I listen to my friend talking who's always been into Revolutionary War reenacting and muzzleloader shooting. I would think that if the regulations have dried up the ability to sell the stuff, there's a very limited market to be had.

·
Premium Member
8,767 Posts
Does this mean my empty GOEX cans will be collectable soon? My uncle used GOEX for is 10 Pound Perret Gun. When he passed there were 10 boxes each containing a factory sealed plastic bag of GOEX FFG. They went with the Cannon when it was sold.

·
Premium Member
8,767 Posts
I have 3 one pound cans of Triple 7 and3 cans of Pyrodex also 2 unopened packages of Pyrdex Pellets.

·
Premium Member
15,225 Posts
Swiss and Schuetzen are a GERMAN combination who have been around longer than the US has been a country. Hodgon couldn't come close to owning them. I've been shooting Schuetzen for close to 30 years, along with GOEX and recently Old Eynsford...which I will miss. I have used a couple pounds of Swiss but for my purposes, it's too expensive unless shooting competitively. Schuetzen always equalled or excelled GOEX in velocity. Sometimes GOEX was more accurate and sometimes Schuetzen was, just like smokeless powders.

I do hate to see GOEX being shut down. Just from my experience of talking to dealers who used to carry BP and their experience with the ATF, their ever changing magazine requirements for BP essentially forced them to stop carrying it. That's the story I have been told locally. The agents evidently have a lot of discretion in what they believe is required for the magazine.

I will make my own BP before I EVER resort to pyrojunk. I did like T-7 as far as substitutes go but it would never be my choice over real black powder.

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
Sharps has the right of it, ATF regulations have made it nearly impossible for many shops to carry and store real black powder. It isn't because shooters don't want it that sales are low, it's because they can't get it from a local shop. 777 is decent enough in a cap lock but I have no idea how it would do in a flintlock.

·
Premium Member
15,225 Posts
Dave, I have never tried T-7 in a flinter but from those who have I understand they lead with a small charge of real black. They tell me ignition is as good as a full charge of the real thing. Has to be a PITB but....if you want to extend your real stuff it beats the alternative of not shooting at all.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Pyrodex is all you find around here. Would love to get some real BP for my Remington replica and my Knight .50 cal rifle but I’m not paying shipping and hazmat fees to get it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Buff arms doesnt have any goex products listed on their site today. It was there yesterday at regular prices. They have some Swiss but no Schuetzen showing as in stock today. The swiss thats in stock is higher today also.

Guess the race is on.

·
TFF Chaplain
21,604 Posts
My LGS stocks Swiss, Pyrodex, and 777 and I think some other brand of BP. I use 777 for my cap and ball revolver, and for my .45-70. Real BP has to have a license (but the police don't charge for it) and it needs a special storage box which I have no room for.

·
Administrator
13,666 Posts
I'm currently trying to get into BP cartridge reloading and this comes along. First, along with all the problems generated by covid and new shooters entering the market and second, now a manufacturer shutting down, my choices are getting slimmer.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts