The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Administrator
13,663 Posts
I just got 5 pounds of GOEX 3F. I had some GOEX 2F in my shopping cart and it sold before I hit place order. I was going to do 5 pounds mix between 2F and 3F.

Swiss was available yesterday, but gone today. People are buying it fast after GOEX's announcement.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
I guess things were pretty hectic at the store yesterday, phone was ringing off the hook all day long from people wanting to buy black powder. They were pretty upset about what the hazmat fees were going to be for 1 pound of powder. "But, but, that's more than the price per pound!" "Well, sir you could by a case and it's the same hazmat charge." how much is a case?" "Oh my, I don't want to spend that much money". It wouldn't have been so bad but every caller would keep talking for 5 minutes tying up the phone and then not order anything. Suzi has a call in to our powder supplier to see if he will ear mark a ton of powder for us, the shop has always bought about a ton of powder every six months or so. Suzi also let me know that she will be holding a few pounds back for 'store (read employee) use'. We do have to test fire things and sight in new rifles. Push comes to shove I can use triple seven in my cap locks, my friend David says triple seven will not work in a flint without 4F in the pan and a small "booster charge" of black under the 777 same as you would with pyrodex. I only have a small horn full of FFFF left so it's either convert my flint back to percussion or pick up a pound of it.

·
Administrator
13,663 Posts
I had to buy a minimum 5 lbs. HazMat + shipping was $55. That made my cost per lb $36. Still cheaper than anywhere else I found before HazMat. $40 lb + HazMat + shipping. One place was 25 lb minimum order.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I had to buy a minimum 5 lbs. HazMat + shipping was $55. That made my cost per lb $36. Still cheaper than anywhere else I found before HazMat. $40 lb + HazMat + shipping. One place was 25 lb minimum order.
I did get 5 of swiss 1.5 yesterday around noon. Buff-. They were out of 2 & 3 but it should be fine in a 50. Supposed to be about the same as goex 3f but maybe cleaner and cost 1.5. The day before they had goex and shutzen but not yesterday both for about 20-21 per #. 5 lbs plus add ons came close to 200$ for the swiss.

wolf had some also but they have case only 25lbs purchase qty but it can be mixed. Maybe gone today though that was yesterday. I havent looked.

Will just have make some charcoal after that 5 is gone if I have to have more. Survival mode looks like will be using target loads for targets and hunting for the unforseable future.

·
Premium Member
15,221 Posts
Boy.....makes me glad I bought a case when hillary was elected to the Senate and when obummeroo was elected. I wasn't competing anymore or shooting much BP then and haven't made much of a dent, except for what I've given away and those days might be over or certainly a lot more limited. Dadgummit....can shooters and handloaders get a break, for cryin' out loud!

·
Administrator
13,663 Posts
Boy.....makes me glad I bought a case when hillary was elected to the Senate and when obummeroo was elected. I wasn't competing anymore or shooting much BP then and haven't made much of a dent, except for what I've given away and those days might be over or certainly a lot more limited. Dadgummit....can shooters and handloaders get a break, for cryin' out loud!
What did it cost per lb for a case?

·
Registered
18,567 Posts
Dave, I have never tried T-7 in a flinter but from those who have I understand they lead with a small charge of real black. They tell me ignition is as good as a full charge of the real thing. Has to be a PITB but....if you want to extend your real stuff it beats the alternative of not shooting at all.
That's what I have been doing. I charge my pan with goex 4f and then put a small charge down the pipe followed by pyrodex rs or not very often ...pyrodex p.

For pan charging... Pyrodex sucks... I have done it.. But it sucks...

Maybe I can get a few# of goex 4f before it goes away.

·
Deer Stalker
6,493 Posts
I'm heading to Buff Arms on Fri for 25 lbs of Swiss 1.5F. Praying for no lightning storms for the 2.5 hr drive back.

My powder stays dry...40 deg to 85 deg in a MIL building 50 yards from the garage portion of the home. If a big bang happens? We still survive.

·
Administrator
13,663 Posts
I'm heading to Buff Arms on Fri for 25 lbs of Swiss 1.5F. Praying for no lightning storms for the 2.5 hr drive back.

My powder stays dry...40 deg to 85 deg in a MIL building 50 yards from the garage portion of the home. If a big bang happens? We still survive.
Have you already paid for it? If not, it probably won't be there. Powders they had yesterday are gone and some I had in my shopping cart today was sold before I could checkout.

·
Premium Member
15,221 Posts
Don, don't spit coffee on your screen. The last I bought, with hazmat, came out to not quite $17.00 a lb. for a 25 lb. case. That was Schuetzen, Ffg an Fffg. Schuetzen is what I've bought the last two orders. I bought...awww...3-4 lbs.(?) of Old Eynsford over last summer and I'm pretty sure it was $22.00 a lb.

Very first case of BP I ordered a long time ago was mostly the old GOEX Cartridge and it figured to $12.00 a lb., shipped.

·
Administrator
13,663 Posts
That don't surprise me Vic. I just paid double then.

·
Premium Member
15,221 Posts
Well....ya gotta keep in mind that last case was close to 8 years ago and maybe longer. I expect there might be a little price gouging going on already.....probably started as soon as Hodgon made the announcement. I suspect it will get worse.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Administrator
13,663 Posts

Did you get any?

My 5 pounds of 3f came in yesterday. And Rick gave me a pound of 2f Wednesday that I'll replace when it becomes available again.

·
Deer Stalker
6,493 Posts
Nope, missed out. Upon arrival home with had guests staying at our place.

I'll just have to be careful not burning through the 6 lbs I have left too quickly. I've only been using 2 lbs a year.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts