Nobody wants to work anymore.

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by AR guy, Jan 5, 2017.

1. AR guy

AR guy Active Member

This has nothing to do about guns but this is about the younger generation. My job is hiring and has been for the last year. I drive a fuel truck and deliver fuel to anything that needs it. Reffer trailers, construction equipment, generators, trucks, trains etc. The jobs union pays $30 per hr 5 wks vac. Free health and welfare min 50 hrs a week. Sat is ot and sunday is double time. Its a good job. Every person that comes here gets hired but has to go thru a 90 day probation to get in the union. Nobody last more than 2 weeks. They all quit. Reasons too hard dont want to work nights or weekends. We work 6 days. Yes its a hard job? It pays the bills and takes care of your family. These younger guys have been unemployed for so long and given everything nobody wants to work for thier money. I've seen about 20 guys between 25 and 35 come and go so fast. We cant hire no one. Obama made the next generation of workers so soft and weak its pitiful. Im not saying everyone just the ones who've been getting freebies the last 10 yrs. The last excuse was the best the guy came in monday and said his girlfriend didnt want him working Saturdays. Lol. I hope things change soon. Im sure some of you have seen this. Have you?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  2. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Oh ya. A fair share seem to think they deserve to skip the learning phase of the career and just take the senior positions. That said there still are some excellent young human beings and boy do the shine compared to the standard issue snow flakes.

3. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

I have seen far to many young people quit a high paying job because their girl friend/boy friend didn't want them to work week ends or holidays. To many young people demand a social live that is far more important than paying the bills or have a high paying job.

4. The Collector

The Collector Well-Known Member

I'm only 30 and I agree with you. however, I think that this far predates Obama's presidency. Yes, of course, he allowed it to get worse instead of better during his horrid 8 years, but he is not the only pin in the cushion.

5. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Moderator Supporting Member

Obama made it easier to live without working, but this started with parenting. Or lack thereof.

6. Nor Cal Mikie

Nor Cal Mikie Well-Known Member

It's RALLY sad bit it's a FACT!!
    $30.00 an hour??? I would be falling all over myself to get in line for THAT job!!:cool::cool:

7. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

The Mexicans are not taking jobs away form Americans! They are just willing to do the jobs that most Americans won't do, and don't want. I see some of this in my youngest son. He's a good worker, and talented, but has this idea that he should be at the top of the heap by now. I've been trying to explain to him that it takes a long time, and lots of hard work, to make it to the top. No man ever got rich working a 9 - 5 job!

8. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Driving a fuel truck and dragging the hose to whatever needs fueling is to hard?:eek:

David13, m77user, Gun Geezer and 10 others like this.
  9. Broot

Broot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Plenty of drivers wanted around here, too, but very few want to be drivers.
    That's good pay.

Gun Geezer, ms6852, drymag and 5 others like this.
  10. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

This is a story that needs to get out.
    I run a business that has been perpetually shorthanded and hiring for a decade now. I'm not talking minimum wage jobs. Full time, full benefits, 30-45k a year jobs. It's a miracle when I fill one. All my vendors. Every store in the mall. Every fast food and retail joint around the mall....hiring, desperately. All running short handed. Whenever a conversation starts up, we gripe to each other about hows it's impossible to get anybody to work.
    The whole time though, the "news" is telling us that people want to work it's just that evil companies won't hire them or they've sent their job overseas.
    I pray that the average American sheeple that's been created by government schools and brainwashed by corrupt press, wakes up soon. It better be real soon or we're doomed.

David13, sharps4590, m77user and 7 others like this.
  11. Austin

Austin Administrator Staff Member

I'm 33 and I agree. I hear things about the participation trophy generation and I keep thinking "Yeah, but who gave them to us?". Who's fault is this really. Sure you have to accept responsibility for your actions, but everyone is soft now because their parents weren't hard. My parents were hard. I work and don't live off of any assistance and won't.

12. AR guy

AR guy Active Member

Thats exactly what i do. And i dont really like it. Its hard on the body. But i couldnt find anything close to the pay and benefits. I cant quit. Been doing it too long im half way to collecting a full pension. It pays the bills and more.

David13, carver, drymag and 5 others like this.
  13. The Collector

The Collector Well-Known Member

my parents were not hard on me. They medicated the crap out of me cause that is what the doctors told them to do. Their hearts were in the right place, I can honestly say that they thought they were doing the right thing, and I don't hold it against them. I am certainly not whining about it. That was my upbringing, no holds barred. Personally, I don't think you could blame it on any one person or entity. Big Pharm played its role, American business practices and our consumer culture played a role, the parents played a role, the government protectionists played a role, political activists like Mothers of America did as well, and so do/did the individuals. I personally find myself fighting that millennial mentality on the daily, and its tiring always being at odds with myself. One of the 2 main reasons I joined the military was that I hoped it would help break me of that ideology. It helped, but I'm sad to say that even our USMC has gotten softer over the years. Its a pandemic and its everywhere.

m77user, carver, Gun Geezer and 3 others like this.
  14. AR guy

AR guy Active Member

Oh and im glad im not the only one seeing this problem. Sorry its happening. Oh so sorry.

carver, Gun Geezer, drymag and 3 others like this.
  15. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

I saw young officers hire in and leave right away on a regular basis at the prison. It DOES take a special kind of person to do that job. And the administration doesn't help things any. That being said, the work ethic of most was horrible. One actually filed a grievance because we wouldn't let him and some fellow staff play card while on duty.
    I think everyone agrees there is a huge problem. Question is how to remedy it so this doesn't go on generation after generation.

carver, Gun Geezer, drymag and 3 others like this.