The Firearms Forum banner

non automatic china sks

2K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  nmckenzie 
#1 ·
i own a new sks,which is non legal to hunt with in pa.also
my local club will only allow a 5 shot mag or clip.i would like to disconnect the gas repeat system and make the gun into a type of slide bolt system where every time you shoot you pull the bolt back to load the cartridge it will reject the empty,then push bolt forward to load the next one.is this possible? william whisner

#4 ·
Get a yugo and you can go to single shot mode. You will always need the recoil spring in it so the sliding it shut option wont work.
That's a good answer. Operates just as a bolt action rifle this way. Of course, the correct answer is to get a rifle with a 4 rd. magazine and bolt. Rather than molest the SKS.

#5 ·
a question on thois re the 10shot vs 5.

If you made a wood ramp plug to put in the 10 shot box mag to limit it to 5, would it be legal? in a similar way as a plug dowel rod in a shotgun to limit to 3 for waterfowl?

#6 ·
i allready have a 5 shot magazine in the sks,but in pa. they don't care if it is even a 2 shot you can not use a semi auto. so i thought i would remove the semi auto feature and make it a 1 shot at a time.just to see the look on the game warden when he says you can't use a semi auto in pa.

#7 ·
i allready have a 5 shot magazine in the sks,but in pa. they don't care if it is even a 2 shot you can not use a semi auto. so i thought i would remove the semi auto feature and make it a 1 shot at a time.just to see the look on the game warden when he says you can't use a semi auto in pa.
Welcome to the forum! I'm afraid that your real problem is that you live in PA! Don't mess with a gun that's working, just use this as an excuse to buy another gun!:D

#11 ·
How about just buy a hunting rifle - a nice 30-06 - or a 30-30 .... If you sell the SKS as is, you will get enough money for it to buy a Marlin lever action 30-30 for sure.

Modifying the SKS to be something that it isn't is counter productive. I'm sad I let mine go, though I did trade it for a 1911 .45 and I won't part with my .45 ;)

#12 ·
Problem is depending the warden, that would be hard to not get stopped and prove. Just buy a bolt action. Don't mess with it and try to fly under the radar. It just ticks them off.

#16 ·
I think you're on the right approach here, but cutting off the rear two thirds of the piston extension would do the job without the chance of excess gas squirting back into the receiver. With the recoil spring still in place the rifle would essentially be a straight pull with spring loaded bolt return.
The problem with cutting the piston extension is that it's a permanent modification. Simple job to remove the piston before you leave for the hunt...then just clean the rifle, slip the piston back into place and it's the same semi-auto SKS as before. The gas piston only travels about an inch or so down the gas tube before the extension and spring stops reward travel, at that point the gas is escaping the small pressure relief hole in the gas tube and the gas in the barrel is following the bullet out of the muzzle. remove the gas piston and the only difference is that the piston won't be there to cycle the action. My suggestion would be to locate a Mosin Nagant and use that...but only if you're inclined to spend under $200 for a new(to you) firearm. From what I understand about PA hunting laws...you aren't required to use a bolt action...it just has to be MANUALLY operated...i.e. converted semi-auto.

#18 ·
I know every one likes to mess with the man, but the old saying, Screw with bull and get the horns. The easiest thing to do is simply get a rifle that is legal. The state has it's reasons, I don't know what they are, but the rules are the rules. There are times to back off and come back another day to the war. JMO

#19 ·
I know every one likes to mess with the man, but the old saying, Screw with bull and get the horns. The easiest thing to do is simply get a rifle that is legal. The state has it's reasons, I don't know what they are, but the rules are the rules. There are times to back off and come back another day to the war. JMO
Have to agree with RJay. Just read PA's rules & regs regarding no hunting with semi-auto arms, and they're pretty clear. Rather than having to verbally tap dance with a magistrate about an SKS that looks like an autoloader, but isn't, play it safe and buy yourself a relatively inexpensive bolt action.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.