Non-resident carry permit for Minnesota

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by JRL, Apr 20, 2017.

1. JRL

JRL Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm going to take the non-resident carry permit course for Minnesota tonight.

I live in Iowa and will take the course here in Iowa.

It will be interesting to compare the rigor (or lack thereof) of tonight's training with that of the Iowa permit training.

That will leave only Illinois as the state here in my area in which I cannot carry. I don't believe Illinois has a non-resident option. For obvious reasons I wish they would.... i travel there a lot.

Broot and Kweeksdraw like this.
  2. JRL

Besides covering the unique firearms laws MN has compared to IA.... the only discernable difference in training was the course of firing during the shooting portion of the instruction.

Shooting was timed and included ability to clear a malfunction during that course of timed firing.

MN non-resident carry permit cost $100 and is good for 5 years. Once training is completed, it must be applied for in-person at a Sheriff's office. Guess I'll be making a trip to MN soon.

Broot likes this.

3. Designer

Designer Well-Known Member

Keep us informed! What county are you planning to apply for the permit? Do you anticipate any difficulty?

4. AaronW

AaronW Well-Known Member

I just plan on avoiding Minnesota for the foreseeable future.

5. JRL

right over the border just north of us in Albert Lea - freeborn county

I expect no difficulties... Turn in the app plus copy of my signed training cert, copy of my iowa permit, copy of drivers license and $100 cash... And voila... MN non-resident permit in short order

I understand this sheriff/office is used to the drill... And is familiar with the certificate from Crossroads Shooting in Johnston (where I took the class)

6. Designer

Designer Well-Known Member

Oh, and the $100 is well received.

Good idea to avoid the Twin Cities area.

7. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member

You can get one in Illinois but it cost $300. You also need 16 hours of training.

8. Hammerman

Hammerman Active Member

MN Honors the following out of State permits.

AR, DE, ID,10 IL, KS, KY, LA, MI, NV, NJ, NM, ND, RI, SC, SD,14

The MN permit fee is not actually $100, State law says in cannot exceed $100. Many counties (sheriffs) charge much less.

[​IMG]

9. JRL

Yep... Doesn't honor Iowa... Hence the need for me to take special non-resident training for MN.

The fee is $100 for non-residents.

Will be traveling there... And other parts of MN for biz... So I want to be able to carry.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  10. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

what a pain you have to go though

With my TX LTC, I can carry in all bordering states to Texas without doing anything

11. Louis Skolnick

Louis Skolnick Member

(430 ILCS 66/40)
    Sec. 40. Non-resident license applications.
    (b) The Department shall by rule allow for non-resident license applications from any state or territory of the United States with laws related to firearm ownership, possession, and carrying, that are substantially similar to the requirements to obtain a license under this Act.

Actually, that means when the appropriate officials from the other states return affidavits saying their states have substantially similar firearms laws. So far, only Hawaii, New Mexico, South Carolina and Virginia have done so.

If you're a resident of any other state, then you can't get an Illinois non-resident license until your state certifies their laws are "substantially similar" to Illinois.