None dealer buy and selling...in state and out of state

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1952Sniper, Mar 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/17/03 3:29:07 pm)
    Reply None dealer buy and selling...in state and out of state
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Non Dealer, private party. Scenario, wants to buy handgun off another individual who is non dealer, private party.

What are legalities of this. Can I sell and buy in this fashion but legally not have to report it.

They've screwed it up for us at the gun shows, you have to register.

But how about selling and buying face to face, and how about driving out of state and doing the same thing.

I would think a bill of sale would be prudent to prove you bought it and didn't steal it...if it ever came up it was a stolen gun.

What are your thoughts on this.

Gunguy

anchored
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/17/03 3:45:14 pm)
    Re: None dealer buy and selling...in state and out of state
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It may vary from state to state, but under federal law, as long as its not full auto, private transfers are ok. Here in W.Va., they're common.

A bill of sale is a marginal idea for self protection - you'd need positive ID and a good description including serial number, notarized statement saying seller has legal authority to sell, etc., but it won't prove in court you bought it from that person because it would be hearsay in most cases.

{ONE PARTICULAR HARBOUR}{Auction45}{Famous Flying Yen Shop}

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/17/03 3:57:36 pm)
    Here in the great Water Wonderland it is required that a purchaser obtain a permit to purchase prior to making the purchase of a handgun, either through a dealer or through a private party aquisitiion . The permit is valid for 10 days in which time you must make the purchase and return the weapon to the agency issuing the purchase permit for an "inspection". There is no purchase permit required for long gun aquisition, private or through a dealer, nor is there an inspection requirement.

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/17/03 5:33:04 pm)
    Reply Re: None dealer buy and selling...in state and out of state
    GG email ibtrukn@aol.com

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/17/03 6:09:48 pm)
    As long as both parties are resident of the same state, it is no problem. If the parties live in different states, federal law says the handgun transfer must go through an FFL dealer.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

MTaylor
    (1/17/03 6:14:34 pm)
    Same here in Texas. The Texas Gun Show Loophole as they call it allows for an individual to sell to another individual without the NICS checks or forms. (Provided the firearm itself meets the requirements)

Check your state laws to be sure in your case.

Yabra Kadabra Doo
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/17/03 10:44:03 pm)
    Illinois - both parties have to have FOID cards and write down their FOID numbers on the bill of sale.

My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/18/03 12:13:37 am)
    ib, you got email.

GG

ImMrBill
    (1/18/03 1:24:08 am)
    I sure hope you don't live in Kalifornia like me, for your sake. It's ugly and got uglier as of January 1 03.

berto64
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/18/03 1:49:57 am)
    Howdy Immrbill,
    Welcome to the TFF! I may be late, but then again I have a hard time being punctual.

berto

Endeaver to Persevere

rhinoman
    (1/18/03 12:53:47 pm)
    In Ma All transfers must go through a dealer.
    The fight for freedom is not fought overseas in distant lands with guns, missles and bombs. It is fought here with words, pen and paper and I fear, we are loosing it.

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/18/03 1:02:32 pm)
    I tought FOIDS wuz dem cars 'n trux whut dem folks up in New Yark 'n New Joisey drove 'round in.

Yabra Kadabra Doo
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/18/03 6:21:17 pm)
    Found On Road Dead?
    My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/19/03 9:32:35 am)
    Thas how they sez it out in da east, ain't it?

stan741
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/20/03 5:40:24 am)
    Perhaps- "Found on road dead".
    The more I listen, the more I hear......and vice versa.

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/20/03 9:37:44 am)
    Go ahed dudes an hav sum fun while U B still able, wile I cruz da USA in da CHev.....U no da rest CAPEESH?

foids? FOIDS?? rimes wit TOIDS uh huh uh huh an dats da way we do it

meenwile back at da Bada-Bing, German Jake da beertender slid anudder can a frosty BUDLITE down da rail to ol IB who was reminisin bout da good ol days wit Funzi, Guido, da TURK an a few of da oltimers.
    Cheez IB da Turk xclaimed, dem dudes down da udder sidada mississloppy bin havin sum trubbles wit dis politiky BS> YO IB U gonna go down an straten dis shitte out? IB took a swig ada BUd an slowly rubbed his furrowed brow ( didnt tink I noed howta talk like dat didja?) Naw he said slowly, dey gotts too many flatfoots down dere an ders some dude outa sum dam place, cuold ya believe it, called crookvile tex. Dey claim dey can take cara dere own backyard. Yo Jake nudder Bud for me an give da goodfellas whatever........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.