Norma brass

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 38 special, Apr 20, 2009.

1. 38 special

38 special New Member

I went to a gunshow and saw boxes of Norma 3006 and other catridges Sellers were asking from 40 to 60$ a box! Is Norma brass ecceptional quality? why is price so high? Or is Norma a collectors item now??

2. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

I have noticed that Norma and Lapua brass to be more expensive than US brands. Some folk might think it, especially the Lapua, to be worth it. I won't pay it for my own use -- yet.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009

3. Popgunner

Popgunner Active Member

Norma is good brass. Nothing more. Norma was the first brass I re-loaded in 1974 in 7.62x54R. In the good old military calibers Norma used to be the only boxer primed reloadable brass available. Everything else was berdan primed. It was back then worth twice the price just to have loadable brass. Nowdays there's Privi, Sellier, lapua & even Winchester & Remmington who make boxer primed brass in the military calibers.

Wish I could tell you how long Norma brass lasts but since 1974 my original 20 round box is at 62 re-loads without a sign of giving up. It's been loaded with my Lee loader hand tool that only neck sizes, shot in the same M-38 with the light loads the Lee loader makes. Yup, it's good brass.

4. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

Norma and Lupa are good brass. But is it that much better to justify the price, I would have to agree with the distinguished gentlemen above and say heck no.

5. 3ME

3ME New Member

Norma brass also has thicker walls, thus slightly reduced internal capacity. Be extra careful with loads that are near maximum or you may have pressure problems.