The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any non residents ever dealt with north or South Dakota deer draw? Started looking into it and was just curious how to navigate their site. I would just be curious to pick your brain a little about draw odds and how to start figuring out where to hunt. Just some basic info to get started with my research is all. Rifle hunt.

Thank You

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm originally from Powell, Wyoming but moved to Rapid City, South Dakota in 1994. Great place to raise a family but good paying job prospects are slim. As a resident, I was able to hunt muleys (rifle) in the unit I wanted about every other year. Non-resident mule deer rifle licenses are very hard to come by.

But archery licenses are very easy to receive. South Dakota allows a scope sighted crossbow during their rifle season which is ideal anyway because it occurs during the rut. There are many under hunted areas of the Black Hills National Forest where a 30 yard shot is very feasible. I suggest hunting from a climbing tree stand. I suggest hunting the edge of a forest fire burn area because mountain mahogany grows quickly after the fire. This plant is sought out by mulies.

I moved my wife and teen aged kids to Lancaster County, Pennsylvania in 2004 for far better career prospects for all of us. But I often return to crossbow hunt mulies within the Black Hills during mid-November.

TR .

·
TFFWPP President
13,740 Posts
Pm me your adresss and I'll send you an atlas showing all the public land to hunt on. Then I'll also give you my phone number and we can walk through the website to get your tag.
The website is a bit confusing

South Dakota

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
From what I have heard on other websites, getting a non-resident deer tag and filling it in North Dakota is next to impossible. They give out precious few to non-residents, and it's even hard for a resident to draw one. Maybe that's why I see so many North Dakota license plates here in Wyoming during hunting season.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts