The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I got to look at my LGS's I see the only 22 cal. bullet on the shelves are nosler. What is the difference with nosler? Why do the cost so much? Is it something special? I usually only use the lower cost bullets. Hornady, Speer, Remington, etc. what so special about nosler bullets is my question?

· Banned
2,751 Posts
Depends on which Nosler bullet. Nosler makes several different bullet designs.
The Partition being the most expensive, it is a Hunting bullet.

Nosler Varmageeddon and Ballistic tips are about the same price as the Hornady V-Max, depending on where you buy, about $15 per 100 in .224.

Read all about there bullets here.

http://www.nosler.com/Bullets.aspx

BTW the Nosler Partition is Theee hunting bullet by which all others are judged.

· Registered
2,098 Posts
I have 7-8 boxes of those 22, around 60 grain Nosler Partition bullets on my bench myself, never loaded any up; but what I'd use if I didn't have a 6.8, 338 fed, or the 308 scar. I never shoot an of my 556's anymore, just in the vault.

Nosler Partitions are my favorites for heavy calibers and my kids and I have killed over 30 moose with nosler partitions ovre the last 20 years; not one run off.

I heard that Joe Nosler (maybe he had a different first name) went moose hunting in 1946; with the best commercial bullets out there. Took 6 shots to kill a moose. He invented the nos part aftre that hunting trip, rest is history.

I just luv them and shooters pro even more.

· Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why are they always the bullets left on the shelves? Cuz every time I go look for bullets that's all I see really. Well if nothing is bad about them, I guess I'll scoop em up for myself.

· Banned
2,751 Posts
Why are they always the bullets left on the shelves? Cuz every time I go look for bullets that's all I see really. Well if nothing is bad about them, I guess I'll scoop em up for myself.
Like I said, it depends on what Nosler bullets are on the shelf. If they are the Partitions and you are not going to Hunt with them, pass. If they are a target/varmint bullet like the Ballistic tip, pass if they are more than $15-17/100.

· Registered
2,098 Posts
When we first got here in Alaska, we hunted with our 556's off snowmachines; herding caribou, chasing wolves, but lost many caribou using Q3131 white box fmjs; went right on through. We used those 556 nosler partitions just for a couple years when the 6.8 came out and been sticking with that ever since. Load up some of those .224 nos parts and hunt deer or whatever, they work way better than fmjs for hunting. I'm sure the fmjs are better in a tactical sense too.

I guess I'm superstitious with guns. I use nos parts in all my beat around bolt guns, 270, 7 mags, 338 win mag, but also use them in my 338 fed AR-10 and 2 years back we killed 3 bulls and a bunch of caribou with that one gun & nos parts. I use TTSX in my 6.8, 30-378, and now in the 308 Scar. If I ever pulled one of the ARs or mini-14s out of the gun safe for hunting; they'd be loaded with nosler partitions.

· Registered
9 Posts
At least in my neck of the woods noslers are running $5 to $7 bucks a box more then speer and sierra. I agree with others the their partition is a great bullet and use them myself when hunting but for the range i'll use speer and sierra and save the money. That is why they are on our shelves.

· Registered
3,128 Posts
they're last on the shelf because they cost an arm and a leg; but are the best bullets out there IMO. the Barnes TSX are pretty damn good but I hunt with only noslers, every big game I've ever taken was with a ballistic tip, partition or the white tip ones.

basically it's about 50-75 cents a pull just for the round (I use mostly .30 cal stuff) so I don't use a lot for practice but they work as advertised on game.

· Registered
670 Posts
The only Nosler bullet I use is the OLD 224 45 grain in my hornet, it is the only bullet I found 30 years ago that would shoot straight in that particular rifle. When I heard that they were discontinuing it I bought 8 boxes. Only have 1 box and about 150 rounds left. If I live long enough to run out I would try one of their other 45 grain 224's before I tried anything else. I hunt coyote, long ranges with a 257 Roberts. with a 75 grain Speer. It does the job very well. But it took a while to find the bullet and load in that particular rifle liked too. For those of you just starting out you just have to experiment to find the primer, powder and bullet that works for you. One side note, on the Roberts I seat the bullet out where it just touches the rifling. To do that i take a ready to load case, start a bullet in the case mouth and chamber it, remove it and measure over all length and set the dies accordingly. I believe that this is a must do for the best accuracy. Anyway it has worked for me for all of these years.

· Registered
1 Posts
Noslers are an excellent bullet. I just reloaded noslers in my 22-250 the other day and with different loads of h380 my best group was .5 and my worst was 1.10( six shot groups including the fouling shot). I would highly recomend Noslers they shoot just as good as Bergers out of my Weatherby varmint 22-250 Remington. Bergers may shoot better if i messed with the bullet seating depth which that is what makes Bergers such great bullets.

· Registered
2,098 Posts
I just got some 45 cal 230 grain JHPs in the mail from Shooters Pro, they were over runs. I got two 250 count boxes for like 70-80 bucks or something , 500 bullets; not a bad price for a bullet I see the Camp Perry 1911 contestants using in competition (just this week on one of the sports shows on dir tv). We pay high prices for everything way up here in Ak, so maybe that's why I think I'm getting a deal.

Shooters Pro posted some new stock on Monday, and might have some new items this afternoon. They do this for us people who reload and like their bullets, good idear and I appreciate them doing it also. No joke, I'm trying out all their other bullets too now; probably wouldn't have if it wasn't for Shooters Pro. They go quick when they are posted but I keep getting them in the mail and I'm becoming a real Nosler believer.

The partitions & pistol & revolver bullets are my favorites, but have been trying competition, ballistic tips, silver tips of late. I have a couple thousand accubonds that I have accumulated, but prefer Barnes TTSX in tipped bullets, just superstitious.

You guys should get signed in on Shooters Pro, order online (never get through on phone) and you'll be glad ya did down the road.

I've been thinking about those Bergers myself, picked up a box of 168 grain .308 VLD hunting bullets but haven't loaded them up yet. What are their tactical bullets (OTM) like? I see they make a 175 grain 30 cal.

· Registered
2,371 Posts
I bought some Nosler .224 Ballistic Tip Varmints, (all MidwayUSA had left that day, and I wanted bullets), and this is what they did yesterday.

"Bullseye" is 1.75" x 1.75", for full disclosure.
Worth some more experimentation. Will make an excellent light game bullet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.